Treat your loved ones to a Track Days Experience voucher for when the lockdown ends!
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: The media don't help!

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    2,387

    The media don't help!

    I realise that we have to be kept up to date on the the present problem but I feel that the media often exassipate the situation. Take for instance today regarding pharmacies and how people are now stockpiling medicines. If viewers see this then, as we have already witnessed with food, it will encourage them to do the same. Don't advertise the fact and it might just stop people from panic buying. Let's be given the important facts but leave it at that.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,380
    Quote Originally Posted by Leicesterbaggie View Post
    I realise that we have to be kept up to date on the the present problem but I feel that the media often exassipate the situation. Take for instance today regarding pharmacies and how people are now stockpiling medicines. If viewers see this then, as we have already witnessed with food, it will encourage them to do the same. Don't advertise the fact and it might just stop people from panic buying. Let's be given the important facts but leave it at that.
    Could not agree more LB. I have tended to watch/listen to a max of a few minutes a day to get the headline news. Media hype has exasperated what is already a huge problem. Why oh why, like you say, don’t they just deal with it sensibly.

    We went into lock-down at midnight last night, 24 hours after the UK. The Politicians who announced the lock-down droned on, obviously un-rehearsed but I guess trying to comfort everyone. At one point I thought a female Politician was going to break down in tears as she spoke. Luckily my Alexa switched itself off so I did miss a lot of it. Alexa certainly knows best.

    Social Media has not been helpful in many ways, with lies, half truths and well, just the plain wickedness of, I guess a minority, spreading rumours to deliberately put people in fear by trying to make out they know more than those that are actually trying their very best to help all of us. These people are just so sick in the head.

    Let’s leave the Political people to do what they believe is right. They have knowledgeable people to advise them, unlike the media and particularly social media, whereby Bill Public thinks they know better. Well if they do, how come they are not leading from the front like our Politicians are. Simple, they are not good enough.

    Have a good day all and keep safe. we will beat this together.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,485
    Quote Originally Posted by Leicesterbaggie View Post
    I realise that we have to be kept up to date on the the present problem but I feel that the media often exassipate the situation. Take for instance today regarding pharmacies and how people are now stockpiling medicines. If viewers see this then, as we have already witnessed with food, it will encourage them to do the same. Don't advertise the fact and it might just stop people from panic buying. Let's be given the important facts but leave it at that.


    I do agree Leicester but it works both ways! Boris was put under intense pressure by the media via public opinion to shut everything down and he did - though this should have been weeks earlier! Londoners and more importantly key workers are shouting to the media that crowded tubes/transport is unacceptable and damn right it is! This media pressure of building workers crowding public transport should put pressure on Boris to shut this down too! For **** sake - if builders can/want to work then use their own safe transport or the contractor should be responsible and arrange lifts/their own hired buses etc.

    So the media can work to the public's advantage too! Absolutely pointless that 99% of the country are compliant with a lock down and the media/public pressure must be put on Boris to STOP non essential workers using public transport!

    I like Boris but too much dithering! Hello Hello - look at Italy and Spain.......
    Last edited by baggieal; 25-03-2020 at 07:35 AM.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,380
    Quote Originally Posted by baggieal View Post
    I do agree Leicester but it works both ways! Boris was put under intense pressure by the media via public opinion to shut everything down and he did - though this should have been weeks earlier! Londoners and more importantly key workers are shouting to the media that crowded tubes/transport is unacceptable and damn right it is! This media pressure of building workers crowding public transport should put pressure on Boris to shut this down too! For **** sake - if builders can/want to work then use their own safe transport or the contractor should be responsible and arrange lifts/their own hired buses etc.

    So the media can work to the public's advantage too! Absolutely pointless that 99% of the country are compliant with a lock down and the media/public pressure must be put on Boris to STOP non essential workers using public transport!

    I like Boris but too much dithering! Hello Hello - look at Italy and Spain.......
    Thing is Al the Media have gone OTT with experts and non experts 24/7. This has caused concern amongst many and led to the selfish morons stripping supermarkets of food when there was clearly going to be enough if everyone shopped normally. Now they are doing again with pharmaceuticals. I am sure Boris will not be moved to make some half cocked decision based on members of the public who believe they have more expertise than scientists and experts in the field. The Media are required to pass the message of Government onward to us the general public, however some of the reporting is nothing more scaremongering.

    As for the construction industry, well letís hope sense prevails and quickly. Our construction industry locally shut down at the point of lock-down, no ifs no buts. Only emergency repairs etc allowed.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,485
    Quote Originally Posted by Baggiemadguern View Post
    Thing is Al the Media have gone OTT with experts and non experts 24/7. This has caused concern amongst many and led to the selfish morons stripping supermarkets of food when there was clearly going to be enough if everyone shopped normally. Now they are doing again with pharmaceuticals. I am sure Boris will not be moved to make some half cocked decision based on members of the public who believe they have more expertise than scientists and experts in the field. The Media are required to pass the message of Government onward to us the general public, however some of the reporting is nothing more scaremongering.

    As for the construction industry, well letís hope sense prevails and quickly. Our construction industry locally shut down at the point of lock-down, no ifs no buts. Only emergency repairs etc allowed.

    Take your point! Mentality of some though - is why should I comply and others donít so there should be no inconsistencies and police should have stronger powers.

    We as a family are compliant as educated to the threat of this virus! Thatís the problem - itís the scum who are not educated and are selfish to anybody but themselves!

    Today a 21 year old died with the virus and no underlying health issues which was so sad - I hope this acts as a wake up call to some!

    Went outside for 5 minutes of fresh air and a jogger on the other side of the road - crossed the road and came within one metre of me - he didnít like it when I called him a t wat but people like this are ****s!!! Perhaps everyone should draw a picture of what 2 metres represents....

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    15,910
    Quote Originally Posted by baggieal View Post
    Take your point! Mentality of some though - is why should I comply and others donít so there should be no inconsistencies and police should have stronger powers.

    We as a family are compliant as educated to the threat of this virus! Thatís the problem - itís the scum who are not educated and are selfish to anybody but themselves!

    Today a 21 year old died with the virus and no underlying health issues which was so sad - I hope this acts as a wake up call to some!

    Went outside for 5 minutes of fresh air and a jogger on the other side of the road - crossed the road and came within one metre of me - he didnít like it when I called him a t wat but people like this are ****s!!! Perhaps everyone should draw a picture of what 2 metres represents....
    Iím out running each day Al and Iím getting pedestrians changing to my side just to act like t W a t s and morons on bicycles coming within a metre FFS.

    Normally on weekdays I barely see a soul......itís a nightmare having all the c hunts at home......Iíll be glad when they return to work!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,485
    Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    Iím out running each day Al and Iím getting pedestrians changing to my side just to act like t W a t s and morons on bicycles coming within a metre FFS.

    Normally on weekdays I barely see a soul......itís a nightmare having all the c hunts at home......Iíll be glad when they return to work!

    Can totally understand Mick! Hope it pisses down with rain to deter all the morons going out - joggers or people with dogs donít care about rain as understandably still have to go out!

    Some thick t wats around!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •