+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T Prince Charles Tests Positive

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    News today of a 101 year old exiting intensive care, totally cured. If that doesn't give us all hope then nothing will.
    On the other hand the very sad news that a 13 year old boy with no health issues has succumbed. Even worse his parents couldn't be with him as he was highly infectious!
    Clearly, there is no hard and fast rule. Sincere condolences to his family.

Quote Originally Posted by macstheman View Post
    On the other hand the very sad news that a 13 year old boy with no health issues has succumbed. Even worse his parents couldn't be with him as he was highly infectious!
    Back door news from China was that 50 000 were dead in Wuhan in Feb.
    The chinese claimed 800 had died.
    Last figure they admitted was 2500.
    So which one will be closest?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcQNsHns9hs

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Another encouraging story was about the newsreader, George Alaghia, MA.

He’s suffering Stage 4 cancer but while his most recent tests showed that all was well with his chemo treatment etc, they also revealed that he actually had Covid-19!
    His reaction? ‘Well if that’s it I’ve got away with it.’ He looked and sounded really well.
    If he's going through stage 4 cancer, corona probably made him piss his pants.
    He's as hard as nails to anything else and I salute him

S

I wouldn’t expect him not to be okay...it was just a simple point that I found it reassuring that a 71 year old appeared to have recovered so quickly. The whole pensioner/over 70 thing appears a bit random to me anyway. I know people aged between 60-75 who appear to have been on their last legs for years while others, hopefully including myself, are fitter than some in their 40’s.

Yes, I agree that the police need to work with the public but it is a difficult task they’ve been given. Going for a drive to a normally relatively deserted location and then going for a walk seems utterly harmless, indeed I can see the High Peak Trail in the distance from my garden and my ‘walking buddy’ has suggested that we meet up there and go for a walk. Seems harmless enough doesn’t it? But if we can do it, so can anyone else at which point it defeats the whole object.

Doubtless there have been some ‘jobsworths’ who, now there are no speeding cars to deal with, will be heavy handed but, imo, we need the police to enforce the rules about staying in/social distancing and the reaction to the police stopping the middle aged and middle class in a way they’re totally unfamiliar with has been a little hysterical.

The Peak District...where most of the criticism stems from...is a difficult one. It acts as the ‘rural lungs’ for so many urban areas...Derby, Manchester, Stoke, Sheffield and Nottingham...in particular. Last weekend was bitterly cold so there would have been fewer visitors anyway but with Easter and the, hopefully, warmer weather approaching there could be a real problem and the message needs to get through now.
    RA you can walk to the High peak trail? Yes you can go and yes your supposed to get out and exercise, however meeting up with your walking buddy would be a no no! The guidance does say only people from the same household can be together.

Ah but e whole Police thing is not middle class hysteria, its a recognition that actually we are not a Police state and the Police need to stay within the legislation and guidance. Even senior Police Chiefs have been saying that some of the actions of certain forces have been over the top!

One only has to look at how the Hungarian president has taken executive powers with no check to understand that its a slippery slope little freedoms get eroded and before you know it your in a police state where you do what your told for your own good! Its not that they have a difficult job, its that give some Brit a uniform and power and they love exercising it and not generally in a good way.

The irony of Brexit and not taking rules was that the UK was a proposer of many of the rules that became directives and then one of the most enthusiastic in enforcing them in a way other EU countries never did.

For me the governments communication has been appalling, confused and not concise enough and not on all the channels that people use.

Quote Originally Posted by macstheman View Post
    Theres been no confirmation of that - there was mass hysteria over a 21 year old that died because the hospital gave cause of death as coronavirus, but then it transpired she had had a heart attack. Any death is very sad and especially at a young age, but there needs to be a careful understanding of the facts and the risk, without media hysteria misinforming what the situation actually is.

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
    1. The irony of Brexit and not taking rules was that the UK was a proposer of many of the rules that became directives and then one of the most enthusiastic in enforcing them in a way other EU countries never did.

2. For me the governments communication has been appalling, confused and not concise enough and not on all the channels that people use.
    1. This has always been one of the reasons I don't like the EU. The UK follows the rules that are there and opts out of those they don't like. The rest simply agree to everything and then continue to do what the hell they like.

2. Totally agree. Too little too late. His bumbling mumbling about still shaking hands in a hospital typifies his ineptitude.

RA you can walk to the High peak trail? Yes you can go and yes your supposed to get out and exercise, however meeting up with your walking buddy would be a no no! The guidance does say only people from the same household can be together.

Ah but e whole Police thing is not middle class hysteria, its a recognition that actually we are not a Police state and the Police need to stay within the legislation and guidance. Even senior Police Chiefs have been saying that some of the actions of certain forces have been over the top!

One only has to look at how the Hungarian president has taken executive powers with no check to understand that its a slippery slope little freedoms get eroded and before you know it your in a police state where you do what your told for your own good! Its not that they have a difficult job, its that give some Brit a uniform and power and they love exercising it and not generally in a good way.

The irony of Brexit and not taking rules was that the UK was a proposer of many of the rules that became directives and then one of the most enthusiastic in enforcing them in a way other EU countries never did.

For me the governments communication has been appalling, confused and not concise enough and not on all the channels that people use.
    Yes...Swale...I can see the High Peak Trail from my house and garden and I understand that I’m allowed to walk to it but not with someone from another household.

This though is where common sense, individual situation and government guidelines/instructions are in conflict.

I would have to walk for two and a bit miles - about twenty five minutes - to get to it and obviously the same back which would use up most of my allotted hour - if indeed there is such a thing. I would also have to walk through the whole of the next, more populated, village to do so which kind of defeats the object of taking part in a relatively isolated activity.

Far better then to drive to the trail, about five minutes, and have the majority of my hour on the trail, but then I run the risk of being demonised on the national news, which isn’t a particular concern, or setting a bad example whereby the car parks rapidly fill up as people follow the example and we’re back to the situation of the weekend before last when parts of the Peak District looked like an August bank holiday.

Such are the minor quandaries and conflicts we have to deal with these days and I completely agree with your final sentence and MA’s too about ‘bumbling, mumbling’ Government advice.

Unfortunately this, imo, is exactly why the police have the problem they have. In any normal situation I’d be the first up alongside you embracing the spirit of the great Kinder trespass, but this is not a normal situation and Lord Sumption - who seems to me to be a latter day Lord Longford (full of ill thought through good intention) - has only made the situation more difficult.

P.S. Never seen so many smug looking dog walkers...or knackered looking dogs. Sure they’re being rented out. Bottom seems to have fallen out of the ‘dogging’ practice though...if you’ll excuse the expression.

Yes...Swale...I can see the High Peak Trail from my house and garden and I understand that I’m allowed to walk to it but not with someone from another household.

This though is where common sense, individual situation and government guidelines/instructions are in conflict.

I would have to walk for two and a bit miles - about twenty five minutes - to get to it and obviously the same back which would use up most of my allotted hour - if indeed there is such a thing. I would also have to walk through the whole of the next, more populated, village to do so which kind of defeats the object of taking part in a relatively isolated activity.

Far better then to drive to the trail, about five minutes, and have the majority of my hour on the trail, but then I run the risk of being demonised on the national news, which isn’t a particular concern, or setting a bad example whereby the car parks rapidly fill up as people follow the example and we’re back to the situation of the weekend before last when parts of the Peak District looked like an August bank holiday.

Such are the minor quandaries and conflicts we have to deal with these days and I completely agree with your final sentence and MA’s too about ‘bumbling, mumbling’ Government advice.

Unfortunately this, imo, is exactly why the police have the problem they have. In any normal situation I’d be the first up alongside you embracing the spirit of the great Kinder trespass, but this is not a normal situation and Lord Sumption - who seems to me to be a latter day Lord Longford (full of ill thought through good intention) - has only made the situation more difficult.

P.S. Never seen so many smug looking dog walkers...or knackered looking dogs. Sure they’re being rented out. Bottom seems to have fallen out of the ‘dogging’ practice though...if you’ll excuse the expression.

RA whats this allotted hour? It isn't a rule, I go out and walk around 8 miles hardly see another sole, takes about 2.5 hours and if I feel like it I pop out for another hour in the evening, keeping clear of people isn't an issue. As long as you apply common sense, I wouldn't drive somewhere, but again if people do an use their common then not an issue.

But then we have become a nation whereby we are incapable of thinking for ourselves. Cannot see this lock down being maintained for 3 months myself, its both social and economic suicide.

RA whats this allotted hour? It isn't a rule, I go out and walk around 8 miles hardly see another sole, takes about 2.5 hours and if I feel like it I pop out for another hour in the evening, keeping clear of people isn't an issue. As long as you apply common sense, I wouldn't drive somewhere, but again if people do an use their common then not an issue.

But then we have become a nation whereby we are incapable of thinking for ourselves. Cannot see this lock down being maintained for 3 months myself, its both social and economic suicide.
    I am thinking for myself...that’s the whole point...possibly over thinking I accept...and I also completely accept your point about social and economic suicide but if the medics are right it’s what we have to do.

As for the ‘one hour rule’...that too represents the muddled thinking that’s going on and the inadequate directives that are being given out. There has certainly been talk of being allowed out for one hour a day, but yet again it’s been shockingly unclear.

Now I’m not actually very good at all at upholding stupid and unnecessary rules and laws but, in this instance I don’t know how important the social distancing rules are and I have to trust those who do...the medics not the politicians.

Common sense is a wonderful thing but actually not that common.

As a matter of interest...why wouldn’t you drive anywhere? Like me there may not be the necessity to be able to travel somewhere to walk somewhere pleasant, but beyond that what harm can you, sitting alone or with a member of your household in your car, possibly do?
    Last edited by ramAnag; 01-04-2020 at 09:49 AM.

I am thinking for myself...that’s the whole point...possibly over thinking I accept...and I also completely accept your point about social and economic suicide but if the medics are right it’s what we have to do.

As for the ‘one hour rule’...that too represents the muddled thinking that’s going on and the inadequate directives that are being given out. There has certainly been talk of being allowed out for one hour a day, but yet again it’s been shockingly unclear.

Now I’m not actually very good at all at upholding stupid and unnecessary rules and laws but, in this instance I don’t know how important the social distancing rules are and I have to trust those who do...the medics not the politicians.

Common sense is a wonderful thing but actually not that common.

As a matter of interest...why wouldn’t you drive anywhere? Like me there may not be the necessity to be able to travel somewhere to walk somewhere pleasant, but beyond that what harm can you, sitting alone or with a member of your household in your car, possibly do?
    I must admit that I haven't heard the one hour rule mentioned anywhere.

On the subject of driving to somewhere remote and going for a walk, I agree that it seems harmless. But I've heard senior police officers more than once say that the reasoning behind the ban on unnecessary driving is that an accident would create an extra burden for the already stretched emergency services. I can see their point.

Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)