Treat your loved ones to a Track Days Experience voucher for when the lockdown ends!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 21

Thread: Pompous TV presenters knocking the government.

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    6,221
    Agree with much of what you say Ram59, but in terms of ‘mixed messages’ a Dr. Gaye Allsop - who seems to know a thing or two - has just suggested the public should NOT wear face masks because by repeatedly touching them this actually helps the transmission of the decease. People are confused.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    1,804
    Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Agree with much of what you say Ram59, but in terms of ‘mixed messages’ a Dr. Gaye Allsop - who seems to know a thing or two - has just suggested the public should NOT wear face masks because by repeatedly touching them this actually helps the transmission of the decease. People are confused.
    "the decease" - an unfortunate typo. Most unlike a teacher of the queen's English!

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    740
    Agreed RA, as I've said, we hear so much contradictory 'expert' advice. But I was talking about one episode of so called misleading advice regarding excercising outside, where the advice was clear imo. Take regular exercise, but maintain a 2m gap.

    Everyone must know by now, to keep a 2m safety zone and to keep washing your hands, but many keep ignoring this advice.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    6,221
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    "the decease" - an unfortunate typo. Most unlike a teacher of the queen's English!
    Oops...apologies...Freudian slip!

    You’re right Ram...too many stupid people ignoring sensible ‘rules’ and doubtless there’ll be plenty taking advantage of the relaxation on MOT rules too before long.
    Last edited by ramAnag; 25-03-2020 at 06:44 PM.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    740
    Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Oops...apologies...Freudian slip!

    You’re right Ram...too many stupid people ignoring sensible ‘rules’ and doubtless there’ll be plenty taking advantage of the relaxation on MOT rules too before long.
    Got my MOT done today, after a 40 mile round trip to the nearest open dealer, to get a part.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    3,127
    Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Agree with much of what you say Ram59, but in terms of ‘mixed messages’ a Dr. Gaye Allsop - who seems to know a thing or two - has just suggested the public should NOT wear face masks because by repeatedly touching them this actually helps the transmission of the decease. People are confused.
    Mainly because people are thick IMO. I'm tempted to copy a thread on another forum where a guy asked for advice on whether he could go in his garden or stay in his house. The discussion is raging as I write this, but a) the letter he got from the government is dead clear, it says 'you must stay in your home, you cannot go outside but you can open a window, self isolate even from people you share your home with and get others to obtain your food and medication' so why is he asking if he can go outside, and b) he posted the letter with his first comment yet no-one in dozens maybe hundreds of responses has said 'follow the instructions on the letter. Don't go outside', there have been some utterly amazing well-meaning but totally air-headed responses.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    4,013
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    Mainly because people are thick IMO. I'm tempted to copy a thread on another forum where a guy asked for advice on whether he could go in his garden or stay in his house. The discussion is raging as I write this, but a) the letter he got from the government is dead clear, it says 'you must stay in your home, you cannot go outside but you can open a window, self isolate even from people you share your home with and get others to obtain your food and medication' so why is he asking if he can go outside, and b) he posted the letter with his first comment yet no-one in dozens maybe hundreds of responses has said 'follow the instructions on the letter. Don't go outside', there have been some utterly amazing well-meaning but totally air-headed responses.
    To clear the argument up for you, I received the message as I'm classed "extremely vulnerable", and a follow up message clearly states it's ok to go in garden...

    "NHS Coronavirus Service: - Keep moving to stay healthy
    https://www.nhs.uk/oneyou/for-your-b...orkout-videos/
    - Do some simple stretches and walk around.
    - Be kind to yourself
    https://www.nhs.uk/oneyou/every-mind-matters/
    -Spend time doing things you enjoy - reading, cooking and other indoor hobbies
    - Try to eat healthy, well-balanced meals, and drink enough water
    - Spending time with the windows open to let in fresh air, sit and look out at the world where you can, or get out into the garden or sit on your doorstep if you can.
    To opt out reply STOP"

    Original message for anyone interested...

    "NHS Coronavirus Service: We have identified that you're someone at risk of severe illness if you catch Coronavirus. Please remain at home for a minimum of 12 weeks. Home is the safest place for you. Staying in helps you stay well and that will help the NHS too. You can open a window but do not leave your home, and stay 3 steps away from others indoors. Wash your hands more often, for at least 20 seconds.

    Read more advice about staying safe at home.
    https://www.gov.uk/coronavirus-extre...rable-guidance

    We will send you more messages with information.

    To opt out reply STOP"

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    3,127
    Quote Originally Posted by AdiSalisbury View Post
    To clear the argument up for you, I received the message as I'm classed "extremely vulnerable", and a follow up message clearly states it's ok to go in garden...

    "NHS Coronavirus Service: - Keep moving to stay healthy
    https://www.nhs.uk/oneyou/for-your-b...orkout-videos/
    - Do some simple stretches and walk around.
    - Be kind to yourself
    https://www.nhs.uk/oneyou/every-mind-matters/
    -Spend time doing things you enjoy - reading, cooking and other indoor hobbies
    - Try to eat healthy, well-balanced meals, and drink enough water
    - Spending time with the windows open to let in fresh air, sit and look out at the world where you can, or get out into the garden or sit on your doorstep if you can.
    To opt out reply STOP"

    Original message for anyone interested...

    "NHS Coronavirus Service: We have identified that you're someone at risk of severe illness if you catch Coronavirus. Please remain at home for a minimum of 12 weeks. Home is the safest place for you. Staying in helps you stay well and that will help the NHS too. You can open a window but do not leave your home, and stay 3 steps away from others indoors. Wash your hands more often, for at least 20 seconds.

    Read more advice about staying safe at home.
    https://www.gov.uk/coronavirus-extre...rable-guidance

    We will send you more messages with information.

    To opt out reply STOP"
    I paraphrased a bit, but the instruction under discussion was a version of the latter, some of the responses are beyond belief and made in all innocence

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    2,951
    Shops in the Netherlands are operating under new rules since yesterday. The maximum number of clients is equal to how many you can get in allowing each one 10 square metres of floor space. So, a 1000 square metre supermarket may have a maximum of 100 customers inside at any one time. Each customer MUST have a trolley or a basket. A 1000 m2 shop will have 100 trolleys/baskets available. Basically it's trolleys only but the smaller shops may use baskets. The trolley helps keeping the Dutch norm of 1.5m spacing. Each Supermarket has someone at the door, wearing gloves and holding cleaning materials, every trolley that comes out, has the handles cleaned before the next cistomer may use it. No trolleys outside means you wait in line, suitably spaced 1.5m apart.

    The Dutch aren't great queuers but they are doing it because it's necessary.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    6,221
    Quote Originally Posted by AdiSalisbury View Post
    To clear the argument up for you, I received the message as I'm classed "extremely vulnerable"
    Had no idea...take care and stay safe Adi.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •