+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: O/T Drivers to get Six Month MOT Extension

O/T Drivers to get Six Month MOT Extension

Drivers who have an MOT due from Monday 30 March 2020 onward, will be granted a 6 month extension, because of the coronavirus pandemic, the transport secretary has announced.
    For example if your MOT is due to expire on Friday 3rd April 2020, it will now run out on the 3rd October 2020.
    However you will still have to keep your vehicle in a roadworthy condition, and garages will remain open for those needing repairs.

My son telephoned me this morning regarding the 6 month extension given on M.O.T..
    Be it he got his car tested & passed a week before the government announcement on the extension.

This morning his car insurance company Direct Line had sent him a letter saying that if his car was included in the 6 month extension, he would not be insured.
    So might be best anyone who have their car in the m.o.t. extension period, to check with their insurance company.
    A testing case where someone has a accident, then insurance company saying we are not paying out because your m.o.t. run out.

I'm with Direct Line. Not had a letter. Their FAQ says insurance remains valid as long as car remains roadworthy and you follow Government guidelines.

Quote Originally Posted by Ericsladkilnhurst View Post
    Drivers who have an MOT due from Monday 30 March 2020 onward, will be granted a 6 month extension, because of the coronavirus pandemic, the transport secretary has announced.
    For example if your MOT is due to expire on Friday 3rd April 2020, it will now run out on the 3rd October 2020.
    However you will still have to keep your vehicle in a roadworthy condition, and garages will remain open for those needing repairs.
    Terrible idea Seriously though, i'm still open but, since the announcement it's like someone has ripped out the phone wires out of the wall!

Quote Originally Posted by barrington View Post
    Terrible idea Seriously though, i'm still open but, since the announcement it's like someone has ripped out the phone wires out of the wall!
    Feel for you pal. Mate of mine has a mot station and repairs. Repairs dried up and he was just making enough to break even from the mot side. He just shut up shop after the announcement.

Just try and get through it then expect to work round the clock when things settle down maybe

Quote Originally Posted by Ericsladkilnhurst View Post
    My son telephoned me this morning regarding the 6 month extension given on M.O.T..
    Be it he got his car tested & passed a week before the government announcement on the extension.

This morning his car insurance company Direct Line had sent him a letter saying that if his car was included in the 6 month extension, he would not be insured.
    So might be best anyone who have their car in the m.o.t. extension period, to check with their insurance company.
    A testing case where someone has a accident, then insurance company saying we are not paying out because your m.o.t. run out.
    Have you possibly misunderstood this?

Could it be saying that if you were due to have an MOT before 30th March you're not eligible for the 6 month extension and will need to get a new MOT to be covered?

Quote Originally Posted by barrington View Post
    Hope you don’t suffer financially but was it such a terrible idea? It appears it’s having the desired effect.

Keep safe