+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 14 of 101 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T Coronavirus Thread (2)

Quote Originally Posted by Hazza Has A Gazza View Post
    Just had a glance at the league table, late-comers USA have stormed their way to the top with a surge of new cases. Dark horses Iran are quietly creeping up the league too. UK looks well placed for a top 10 finish, but watch out for Switzerland who have come from nowhere and are now right in the mix.

In all seriousness, it is very grim reading. I am genuinely scared, for myself and my family and relatives, as everyone is. I have an added fear that when this is thought to be over, it still won't be. The vulnerable people, and I include myself (immunosuppressive medication) will still be susceptible to it and will still die from it when some form of normal life resumes. When restrictions are lifted, the spread will start again won't it?
    I'm not actually bothered about dying , we all die and I'm not concerned about that .

My biggest fear is actually dying alone , my family not able to be with me because of the nature of this virus .

Borh myself and my partner are extremely close , we do absolutely everything together as I'm sure most couples do .

If my partner who is proper front line ends up with this I can't be with her and the worse comes to the first I'm going to go absolutely mental .

[QUOTE=Hazza Has A Gazza;39466488]Just had a glance at the league table, late-comers USA have stormed their way to the top with a surge of new cases. Dark horses Iran are quietly creeping up the league too. UK looks well placed for a top 10 finish, but watch out for Switzerland who have come from nowhere and are now right in the mix.

In all seriousness, it is very grim reading. I am genuinely scared, for myself and my family and relatives, as everyone is. I have an added fear that when this is thought to be over, it still won't be. The vulnerable people, and I include myself (immunosuppressive medication) will still be susceptible to it and will still die from it when some form of normal life resumes. When restrictions are lifted, the spread will start again .

Yep the downward spike is just as bad.
    Some think top the peak Wednesday , back in the pub Thursday.
    Think not.
    Time to knuckle down .not even started yet.

Sadly, first reports of a new born baby dying of the virus here in Illinois

....and some people are still going to the shops every single day for something to do. They,re bored apparently

Others insist on exercising outdoors, touching gates, fences, lampposts, sitting on low walls for a rest.

I know the above happens because I,ve observed it from my property repeatedly. Neighbours have admitted they 'need' to go shopping for food everyday.

The most disappointing thing is a lot can't understand what's wrong with their actions.

Not surprising we're in a serious crisis that's only going to get a lot worse.

just as worrying is what we don't know

1. How many people have been infected.
    It is one of the most basic questions, but also one of the most crucial.
    There have been hundreds of thousands of confirmed cases around the world, but this is only a fraction of the total number of infections. And the figures are further confused by an unknown number of asymptomatic cases - people who have the virus but don't feel ill.
    Developing an antibody test will allow researchers to see whether anyone has had the virus. Only then will we understand how far or how easily the coronavirus is spreading.

2. How deadly it really is.
    Until we know how many cases there have been, it is impossible to be certain of the death rate. At the moment the estimate is that around 1% of people infected with the virus die. But if there are large numbers of asymptomatic patients, the death rate could be lower.

3. The full range of symptoms.
    The main symptoms of coronavirus are a fever and a dry cough - these are the ones you should be on the look out for.
    A sore throat, headache and diarrhoea have also been reported in some cases and there is mounting speculation that a loss of sense of smell may affect some.
    But the most important question is whether mild, cold-like symptoms, such as a runny nose or sneezing, are present in some patients.
    Studies have suggested this is a possibility and that people could potentially be infectious without knowing they are carrying the virus.

4. The role children play in spreading it.
    Children can definitely catch coronavirus. However, they mostly develop mild symptoms and there are relatively few deaths among children compared with other age groups.
    Children are normally super-spreaders of disease, partly because they mix with lots of people (often in the playground), but with this virus, it is not clear to what extent they help spread it.

5. Where exactly it came from.
    The virus emerged in Wuhan, China, at the end of 2019, where there was a cluster of cases at an animal market.
    The coronavirus, officially called Sars-CoV-2, is closely related to viruses that infect bats, however it is thought the virus was passed from bats to a mystery animal species that then passed it on to people.
    That "missing link" remains unknown, and could be a source of further infections.

6. Whether there will be fewer cases in summer.
    Colds and flu are more common in the winter months than in the summer, but it is not yet known whether the warmer weather will alter the spread of the virus.
    The UK government's scientific advisers have warned it is unclear whether there will be a seasonal effect. If there is one, they think it is likely to be smaller than that for colds and flu.
    If there is a major dip in coronavirus over the summer, there is a danger that cases will spike in winter, when hospitals are also having to deal with an influx of patients with the usual winter bugs.

7. Why some people get much more severe symptoms.
    Covid-19 is a mild infection for most. However around 20% go on to develop more severe disease, but why?
    The state of a person's immune system seems to be part of the issue, and there may be some genetic factor too. Understanding this could lead to ways of preventing people from needing intensive care.

8. How long immunity lasts, and whether you can get it twice.
    There has been much speculation but little evidence on how durable any immunity to the virus is.
    Patients must have built up an immune response, if they successfully fight off the virus. But as the disease has been around for only a few months there is a lack of long-term data. Rumours of patients being infected twice may be down to tests incorrectly saying they were free of the virus.
    The question of immunity is ***** for understanding what will happen in the long term.

9. Whether the virus will mutate.
    Viruses mutate all the time, but most alterations to their genetic code do not make a significant difference.
    As a general rule, you expect viruses to evolve to be less deadly in the long run, but this is not guaranteed.
    The concern is that if the virus mutates, then the immune system no longer recognises it and a specific vaccine no longer works (as happens with flu).

Quote Originally Posted by KerrAvon View Post
    He was simply explaining that he was right and the public were wong on December 12th.
    Was your typo wong a deliberate reference to the Chinese or even just a Prince Philip moment?

Quote Originally Posted by flourbasher View Post
    ....and some people are still going to the shops every single day for something to do. They,re bored apparently

Others insist on exercising outdoors, touching gates, fences, lampposts, sitting on low walls for a rest.

I know the above happens because I,ve observed it from my property repeatedly. Neighbours have admitted they 'need' to go shopping for food everyday.

The most disappointing thing is a lot can't understand what's wrong with their actions.

Not surprising we're in a serious crisis that's only going to get a lot worse.
    They are allowed to exercise outdoors though so I’m not sure why you keep preaching

The prime minister has warned that the coronavirus crisis will get worse before it gets better, in a letter being sent to every UK household.
    Boris Johnson, who is self-isolating after testing positive for Covid-19, says stricter restrictions could be put in place if necessary.
    Britons will also get a leaflet detailing government rules on leaving the house and health information.
    It follows criticism over the clarity of government advice to date.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-52079922

Quote Originally Posted by rolymiller View Post
    Nice side step Cayton. You should play on the wing for us. I can only assume you would have said in the same circumstances corbyn dunt know what hes doing in which case why criticise what I'm saying, You cant have it all ways,
    Twice you have said we will have to agree to disagree when you were backed into a corner and had nowhere to go with your weak argument and now you try accusing me of sidestepping to justify the political bowlax your spouting
    Shall we agree to disagree once more and you can even say the last word on this as I can't be bothered anymore. I surrender. You win 😉

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    There will be a conversation to be had on this when we get through it Cayton .

In fact a big feckin conversation .
    Wasn't this my whole point from the start. Conversation's now are the wrong time.
    Thanks for agreeing with me. I guess it's not very often you admit to being wrong.. keep up the black pudding munching neighbor.

Page 14 of 101 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464 ... LastLast