+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Hit, Miss or Meh....

Hit, Miss or Meh....

With regards to the question posed yesterday on football radars contribution to signing new talent who, out of our current squad would be a Hit, Miss or Meh!?

Slocombe - Wasn't sure at first but he has grown in stature throughout the season with some fantastic saves and all round performances. HIT.

Brindley - Started off really well but his performances, maybe due to tactics, haven't stood out as much recently. Still solid. HIT

Kelly-Evans - The opposite to Brindley, started off slow for me but has improved over time. Some gutsy performances which bely his size. HIT

Rawlinson - Best signing of the season? I think he came in behind Turner and Graham in the CB pecking list but he has gone from strength to strength this year. Never has a bad game and scores some ***** goals. HIT

Lacey - Obvious talent for this level, one of the first proper Football Radar signings I think. Class on the ball, intelligent, loads of potential....shame we don't own him - HIT

Turner - Was an absolute colossus early on in the season with a series of MOTM performances. I think injuries started to hit and his performances dropped, until he couldn't play any more. We looked much better when Lacey came in too. Tough one bearing that in mind, but still a - HIT

Mccrory - One of my favourite s actually. Can play all the way across the back four and could probably sit in front of it as a midfield anchor if need be. Only weakness seems to be going forward as a wing back, but I'm not too concerned about that - HIT

Bakayogo - I expected him to tear this league apart, and although he hasn't had a long run in the team I don't think he's done enough when he has had an opportunity though. Seems like a good pro - MEH

Bird - Not really seen enough to judge him really but when I have seen him he appears to be a semi decent defender. You do have to wonder why Ardley hasn't fancied him much. Doesn't he train very well? A loan move could be best for his future - MEH

Osbourne - Clearly a fan favourite. Has moments of brilliance and has scored some nice goals, but, at the risk of incurring the NCM wrath, I feel there are massive improvements he needs to make if he is going to make it at Notts. Often too lightweight and gives the ball away through sloppy passing or poor decision making. I like him, and he has potential, but based on his performances so far - MEH

Doyle - Captain, motivator, keeps the ball ticking through midfield, bags of experience, never hides. Obvious downside is his disciplinary record but still a huge player for us - HIT

Rose - Oh Mitch. I like him, just for his effort, physicality and never hiding on the pitch. However, this year he hasn't performed well in my opinion. I'm scared when he gets the ball in our half and I'm struggling to remember more than a handful of dangerous plays he has created. There is a good player in there, but not in centre mid. Ardley obviously values his strength and hardwork...which we all do....but at the minute it's a - MEH

Booty - Jury is still out on Booty. Obvious talent but I said at the start of the season that he doesn't have the physique of a footballer...more of a Caskey type. Is he professional enough? Would be a quality player if he buckles down and stays injury free - MEH

O'Brien - Surely no coincidence that our run of form has coincided with his return to fitness? So influential, always prepared to take that chance and make something happen when others won't, even if it's just picking the ball up and running with it. If only he were 5 years younger - HIT

Crawford - Somehow I haven't seen him play yet!

Guy with the quiff - Forgot his name, which says it all I suppose. Hasn't really produced what I hoped he would and often runs down blind alleys or gets shoved off the ball too easily. Think he's on loan so won't be a massive loss - MISS

Geordie Messi - Massive talent and another Football Radar one I imagine. I guess all I can say is that I hope we have a nice release clause fee in his contract - HIT

Wootton - This guy has been so important for us this year. Had one or two dodgy games around the time he signed permanently, but I think that was more den to our ineffective midfield at the time. Scores all kinds of goals, wins headers, works hard, good with his feet, young...and ours. Contender for player of the season against Rawlinson - HIT

Thomas - reminds me a lot of Luke Rodgers really. Plenty of graft and endeavour but quite often lacks the finishing touch....but this is the National League, he's still been a big - Hit

Dennis - Lovely little player at this level. Lots of intelligence and seems to be working his way into Ardleys favoured team whereas he was on the outside early on in the season. Scored some ***** and great goals throughout the year - HIT

There're definitely more players to add to that list but I've got to go to work now.....feel free to add them!

Great post, something football related at last that's not all doom and gloom.

Would tend to agree with most of your comments. Would disagree with Booty though, pretty sure his injury is not down to lack of effort, his stats for the minutes he has played are amongst the best in the squad.

Some additions to your list:

McDonnell - Seemed to struggle at first but now growing in confidence probably due to having Connell and Lacey back together in front of him but for now for me it's still - MEH

Crawford - HIT. Nothing else to add.

Wilson - We've not seen much of him but from what we have seen he is obviously very good for this level - HIT

Bagan - Looks a good prospect - HIT

Long - As above - Should be a HIT

Quote Originally Posted by TSANHO View Post
    With regards to the question posed yesterday on football radars contribution to signing new talent who, out of our current squad would be a Hit, Miss or Meh!?

Slocombe - Wasn't sure at first but he has grown in stature throughout the season with some fantastic saves and all round performances. HIT.

Brindley - Started off really well but his performances, maybe due to tactics, haven't stood out as much recently. Still solid. HIT

Kelly-Evans - The opposite to Brindley, started off slow for me but has improved over time. Some gutsy performances which bely his size. HIT

Rawlinson - Best signing of the season? I think he came in behind Turner and Graham in the CB pecking list but he has gone from strength to strength this year. Never has a bad game and scores some ***** goals. HIT

Lacey - Obvious talent for this level, one of the first proper Football Radar signings I think. Class on the ball, intelligent, loads of potential....shame we don't own him - HIT

Turner - Was an absolute colossus early on in the season with a series of MOTM performances. I think injuries started to hit and his performances dropped, until he couldn't play any more. We looked much better when Lacey came in too. Tough one bearing that in mind, but still a - HIT

Mccrory - One of my favourite s actually. Can play all the way across the back four and could probably sit in front of it as a midfield anchor if need be. Only weakness seems to be going forward as a wing back, but I'm not too concerned about that - HIT

Bakayogo - I expected him to tear this league apart, and although he hasn't had a long run in the team I don't think he's done enough when he has had an opportunity though. Seems like a good pro - MEH

Bird - Not really seen enough to judge him really but when I have seen him he appears to be a semi decent defender. You do have to wonder why Ardley hasn't fancied him much. Doesn't he train very well? A loan move could be best for his future - MEH

Osbourne - Clearly a fan favourite. Has moments of brilliance and has scored some nice goals, but, at the risk of incurring the NCM wrath, I feel there are massive improvements he needs to make if he is going to make it at Notts. Often too lightweight and gives the ball away through sloppy passing or poor decision making. I like him, and he has potential, but based on his performances so far - MEH

Doyle - Captain, motivator, keeps the ball ticking through midfield, bags of experience, never hides. Obvious downside is his disciplinary record but still a huge player for us - HIT

Rose - Oh Mitch. I like him, just for his effort, physicality and never hiding on the pitch. However, this year he hasn't performed well in my opinion. I'm scared when he gets the ball in our half and I'm struggling to remember more than a handful of dangerous plays he has created. There is a good player in there, but not in centre mid. Ardley obviously values his strength and hardwork...which we all do....but at the minute it's a - MEH

Booty - Jury is still out on Booty. Obvious talent but I said at the start of the season that he doesn't have the physique of a footballer...more of a Caskey type. Is he professional enough? Would be a quality player if he buckles down and stays injury free - MEH

O'Brien - Surely no coincidence that our run of form has coincided with his return to fitness? So influential, always prepared to take that chance and make something happen when others won't, even if it's just picking the ball up and running with it. If only he were 5 years younger - HIT

Guy with the quiff - Forgot his name, which says it all I suppose. Hasn't really produced what I hoped he would and often runs down blind alleys or gets shoved off the ball too easily. Think he's on loan so won't be a massive loss - MISS

Geordie Messi - Massive talent and another Football Radar one I imagine. I guess all I can say is that I hope we have a nice release clause fee in his contract - HIT

Wootton - This guy has been so important for us this year. Had one or two dodgy games around the time he signed permanently, but I think that was more den to our ineffective midfield at the time. Scores all kinds of goals, wins headers, works hard, good with his feet, young...and ours. Contender for player of the season against Rawlinson - HIT

Thomas - reminds me a lot of Luke Rodgers really. Plenty of graft and endeavour but quite often lacks the finishing touch....but this is the National League, he's still been a big - Hit

Dennis - Lovely little player at this level. Lots of intelligence and seems to be working his way into Ardleys favoured team whereas he was on the outside early on in the season. Scored some ***** and great goals throughout the year - HIT

There're definitely more players to add to that list but I've got to go to work now.....feel free to add them!
    Good post, I enjoyed that read. I feel exactly the same when Rose gets the ball in our half!
    Crawford ,for me a miss but was slowly turning into an hit.
    Booty, a hit at first but could easily turn into a miss.
    Agree with the rest.

It's basically Stock Aitken and Waterman.

It's been a Hit factory since the management time met the new owners

Quote Originally Posted by laddo View Post
    It's basically Stock Aitken and Waterman.

It's been a Hit factory since the management time met the new owners
    We should be so lucky . . .

. . . lucky, lucky, lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by TSANHO View Post

Well - you did miss out Enzio! I'm going for a "Meh". Too inconsistent & far too much time spent being ineffective. Think he is being slightly misused tbh, he is of absolutely wno use in our half, he regularly concedes possession despite some folks claiming "he works hard/ defends well" etc.

The fleeting glimpses of quality are rare - for a bloke with tons of skill and a bit of pace (over short distances!) he doesn't deliver enough for my money. I'm with you on the ones you've mentioned - the "quiff", I presume, is Shields and yes, he is cr@p. I probably tend towards "Miss" with Rose this season, he was ok last season but he's been dire for most of this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Pies4u View Post
    Well - you did miss out Enzio! I'm going for a "Meh". Too inconsistent & far too much time spent being ineffective. Think he is being slightly misused tbh, he is of absolutely wno use in our half, he regularly concedes possession despite some folks claiming "he works hard/ defends well" etc.

The fleeting glimpses of quality are rare - for a bloke with tons of skill and a bit of pace (over short distances!) he doesn't deliver enough for my money. I'm with you on the ones you've mentioned - the "quiff", I presume, is Shields and yes, he is cr@p. I probably tend towards "Miss" with Rose this season, he was ok last season but he's been dire for most of this one.
    I hate it when people have a go at Enzio.

Let's stay Positive.

Lots of HITs

A few MEHs and a couple that definitely MISS

I think Ardley's great strength is his eye for a player. Only Shields hasn't really offered much from his signings. He was unlucky with Graham and has had to cope without JOB, Booty and Turner for a large chunk of the season and they were all influential at the beginning and should have been big misses but somehow he's managed to compensate and in Lacey sign better than either Graham or Turner.
    Cal Roberts and Wooton look to have the potential to be sold for profit, probably for enough to cover a big chunk of this season's expenditure.
    He's certainly used his budget well.