+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Well done Bill Ackman

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    Again, stating the obvious. Let me make it even easier. If he kept 1.6 bn and donated 1.0 bn, would you send him a Christmas card?
    What is this...the Moral Maze or the Pedant’s Progress? Are you working from home and bored?

The more he donates the better he is and vice versa, but my personal stance would be...don’t bet on the misfortune of others - Leeds, Forest, Millwall and MUFC don’t count - and no, I won’t send him a Christmas card because I’ve no idea who he is!
    Last edited by ramAnag; 26-03-2020 at 03:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    Tricky, have you forgotten? I was a teacher, not a policeman
    So excused duty it is then.

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
    Not going to get over bothered by that, more pissed off that Martin of'spoons isn't paying his workers the stngy git! I'd boycott but never patronise the places generally anyway.

I suppose ona hero or villain judgement I'd say I'd rather the very rich pay their fare share of taxes so that society can function rather than appear wonderful by donating a fraction of their wealth when it suits them and is advantageous to their image!

Anyway I've signed up as an NHS volunteer, no idea what I'll be doing transporting stuff around I think.
    Would you be prepared to deliver to Mogg or Farage if they needed it!

Quote Originally Posted by Manofpride View Post
    Would you be prepared to deliver to Mogg or Farage if they needed it!
    In the interest of balance, MoP...shouldn’t you be asking Nurse Tricky the same question about Corbyn and Abbott?

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    In the interest of balance, MoP...shouldn’t you be asking Nurse Tricky the same question about Corbyn and Abbott?
    Actually, I'd love to.
    Those 2 are the best double act, since Abbott/Costello. Laurel and Hardy

Quality fun.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    I didn't realise Tricky was on the Florence Nightingale bandwagon! I'm saving lives staying at home!

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    Again, stating the obvious. Let me make it even easier. If he kept 1.6 bn and donated 1.0 bn, would you send him a Christmas card?
    NO. Its a highly suspect IMO activity and contributes zilch to the economy. If he gave it all away and said nothing then I'd respect him a little but would suspect a guilty conscience!

I have far more admiration for those who are well paid for what they do but have paid out money they have earned rather than won through gambling or taken pay holidays.

On the subject of money...a question regarding the legislation relating to the self employed...possibly aimed at GP in particular.

I admire the self employed...at their best they show balls, initiative, determination and self sufficiency. Unfortunately, at their worst - in my limited experience - some are not averse to tax fiddles and tax evasion.

So, now - as I understand it - with their income streams disappearing and a rescue package being put in place which will be determined by their declared average profit over the last three years, are the less scrupulous about to be hoist by their own petard?

I ask out of interest, nothing more.

I'm still trying to work out who actually pays the "winnings" on these bets (or call/put/short options as they call them)?

I understand that if you buy a share and its' price goes up you make a profit, it goes down you make a loss. In both cases, only when you sell them on.

However, if you "bet", as this bloke appears to have done that the market (Dow Jones maybe?) will drop, you haven't bought anything as far as I know. How does this work?

In a nutshell yes, the compensatory payment will be based on last 3 years profits, which may well have been minimised. The exact hoisted expression is how I've described it myself.

That said, any self employed person who has recently applied for a mortgage may find the opposite!

One thing that is odd is the 50,000 profits cap. If an employee earns over 50k the employer can still recover 80% capped at 2500 per month. A self employed person is similarly capped at 2500 per month but on the face of it, if his past profits exceed 50k he gets nothing. This despite the fact that his business may have been wiped out.

Equally how do you prove that CV has caused a loss of revenue by June. It could be that businesses you deal with limp on and then go under in, say, September, causing you loss of revenue outside the compensation time frame.

Still it's a welcome relief, despite some possible inequities.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)