+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Virgin Atlantic Wants Million’s In Government Help

Virgin Atlantic Wants Million’s In Government Help

News breaking that Virgin Atlantic to ask Government for millions in bail out! Branson should be told to part with a huge slice of his wealth and private islands first!!!

Perhaps Branson should look at thousands and thousands of the general public losing their homes and not being able to put food on their tables before bleating!!! T wat!

This broke a week or so ago and it really made my blood boil Al, he also sued the NHS for £2M as he didn't get picked for a contract his Virgin Health business had bid for. Would the likes of Bezos be any different? I guess he must be a Tory backer and is using that to apply pressure to Whitehall, absolute w @ n k e r.

The Richard Bransons of this World become rich by looking after themselves. He may well give a lot of money to good causes but not to the extent of making himself poorer. Propping up his airline would certainly knock a very big hole in his personal wealth. He won’t do it.

Quote Originally Posted by kettering_baggie View Post
    The Richard Bransons of this World become rich by looking after themselves. He may well give a lot of money to good causes but not to the extent of making himself poorer. Propping up his airline would certainly knock a very big hole in his personal wealth. He won’t do it.
    If you’re not prepared to support your own business with much of your own cash you shouldn’t be in business!

I cancelled investment in another project four weeks ago because I’m constantly on the alert and I’m pretty shrewd.

I’ve built up business cash in recent weeks and held off this other project and buying a new car as well as cancelling a dividend payment I was due.

I’ve kept enough to one side to make sure everyone at my place is employed at the end of all this........it’s disgraceful that other very much bigger fish are such selfish w anchors!

Over about 20 years ago when I was doing my A Level business studies, I started to read Mr Bransons book about how he built his empire then. Very inspiring at the time for a 17 year old. I never actually finished the book but i’m sure it talks about his Virgin records business and how they signed up the Verve etc etc. Anyway, he was like a business role model the teachers told you about back then. How wrong we were.

I wonder if Mr Branson will shelve his plans for space travel now? How much investment is that by the way? A couple of billion or so?
    And how is his Virgin Health Care doing? Surely now they should be proactive enough to help our government with ventilators and testing kits? It wouldn’t hurt them to take leaf out of Dyson’s book would it now.
    I may have to cancel my Virgin tv and broadband if this greedy and un compassionate ice cream van isn’t playing all.

Quote Originally Posted by regis80 View Post
    Over about 20 years ago when I was doing my A Level business studies, I started to read Mr Bransons book about how he built his empire then. Very inspiring at the time for a 17 year old. I never actually finished the book but i’m sure it talks about his Virgin records business and how they signed up the Verve etc etc. Anyway, he was like a business role model the teachers told you about back then. How wrong we were.

I wonder if Mr Branson will shelve his plans for space travel now? How much investment is that by the way? A couple of billion or so?
    And how is his Virgin Health Care doing? Surely now they should be proactive enough to help our government with ventilators and testing kits? It wouldn’t hurt them to take leaf out of Dyson’s book would it now.
    I may have to cancel my Virgin tv and broadband if this greedy and un compassionate ice cream van isn’t playing all.

You are bang on there Regis summing this up!

Regis I hope you do cancel your Virgin subscription along with every other subscriber - it's been said many times already that businesses will be judged on how they behave in this crisis. He told his workers to have 8 weeks off unpaid and take another job if it came up - a proper cnut if ever there was one.

Mick - you're a very decent and honourable fella (even you are a baggie ), huge respect to you sir.

Quote Originally Posted by regis80 View Post

I read Bransons book but a better read is the biography ‘Branson’ by Tom Bowyer. Very interesting. Virgins holding company is based in the Virgin Islands where tons of money to build the families wealth is channelled.So much for transparency.

Branson comes over as a complete shyster in all honesty. He is someone who has never been shy to sue people yet he never sought legal action or corrections in the book against Tom Bowyer despite this quote from Branson on the back of the book; “ What I have read has offended me on every single level... it is a foul, foul piece of work from the first words to the last - really rotten, nasty stuff’

Some time ago I watched a film about the rise of Richard Branson and a long time business associate described him as a ‘chancer’, rather than an astute businessman.

Quote Originally Posted by kettering_baggie View Post
    Some time ago I watched a film about the rise of Richard Branson and a long time business associate described him as a ‘chancer’, rather than an astute businessman.
    A chancer from a very wealthy family.

This bloke is no Steve Jobs or Alan Sugar or that Charlie bloke from Pimlico Plumbers.

It’s easy to have a dabble when you’re from a wealthy family as there’s always plenty of cash to get you started and a feather bed to land on if you fail.

In my own small case I actually had to wheel and deal on the side whilst employed to save a nest egg to get started.

Back in 96-97 I saved around £14k to get started and gave up a £30k+ job with company car to give it a go.

Bought the high mileage company car for £3300 when I left and my old man gave me £10k as “early inheritance” to help me out and he gave my brother the same.

A year later as I was expanding so fast he gave us both another £10k which I spent stock on and my brother p e e d up the wall.

So I did get a bit of help for which I’m eternally grateful but most do it with little or no help.

Branson is a fraud of a bloke albeit a shrewd one.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)