+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: On this day- 28th March 1998

Revenge was sweet when we knocked them out of FA cup in front of their own fans

We were too nice, and very naive but what cost us more than anything were poor buys.
    We maybe had an even worse transfer window than under Chien Dog Billionaire.
    Tinkler, Hristov and the rest didn't improve us one bit.
    Only Barnard proved decent, and he was a last minute buy. Ward came in later when it became obvious Wilkinson was past his best.
    Only De Zeeuw had any sort of success after that season which tells a story.
    Eaden did ok for himself, Liddle .......?, and Redders one more season at Charlton, but the rest?

Quote Originally Posted by DOOALI View Post
    Revenge was sweet when we knocked them out of FA cup in front of their own fans
    Le Tiss and Jeff Stelling were quality taking the p1ss out of Phil Thompson.
    Le Tiss was in the middle of slagging the ref off for not giving us a penalty when we scored the winner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bB4tmo3EPoU

Quote Originally Posted by Hodger1957 View Post
    We were too nice, and very naive but what cost us more than anything were poor buys.
    We maybe had an even worse transfer window than under Chien Dog Billionaire.
    Tinkler, Hristov and the rest didn't improve us one bit.
    Only Barnard proved decent, and he was a last minute buy. Ward came in later when it became obvious Wilkinson was past his best.
    Only De Zeeuw had any sort of success after that season which tells a story.
    Eaden did ok for himself, Liddle .......?, and Redders one more season at Charlton, but the rest?

I agree about the foreign signings being average at best. We spent a fair few quid on em as well. A poor transfer window to say the least. Scott Jones and Chris Morgan came thru the youth ranks in that Premiership season and were a better bet than the foreign summer signings in my opinion.

Billy Beane's Spreadsheet wasn't available then.

Quote Originally Posted by pass_and_move View Post
    Agree that game definitely sunk our spirit but it dint relegate us in my opinion. As I said in the original post, the season's over 38 games. Tha looks at points we threw away when we weren't able to see a game art- Wednesday away, Leeds away, Blackburn away, Newcastle away, Coventry away, Spurs at ooam, Leeds at ooam- costly points. Teams at the top score late goals to win games as regular as we conceded them to lose games, it's not because of good luck or bad luck, it's because teams at the bottom have fundamental deficiencies and teams at the top have persistence & perseverance.

We let far too many goals in and defended woefully at times. However, I can understand why that happened because Wilson played offensively but the opposition just had too much quality and we were too sloppy at the end of the day. By the time we got our act together mid-season there was too much ground to make up.

When I think back to that first half (forget the 2nd aif) against liverpool when it was 11 versus 11 we were by far the better team, could have been at least 2 goals up but we went in level at 1-1 thanks to gifting them a sloppy and undeserved goal. Kind of sums it up
    Spot on Pass the dropped points in all the League games you listed still stick in my craw. What about Derby away to add to that list?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12