+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Backpackers moaning they can’t get back to U.K.

I can see both sides to this if I'm honest.

123's point is valid in that a lot of those stuck on cruises are in the vulnerable group in society. Most if not all of the cruises that have had issues with quarantine etc have been in long haul destinations. I'd imagine many passengers never even thought it necessary to get FCO advice as they would have left many weeks ago and would have paid for a fully managed service where the cruise line set the schedule so they're simply in the wrong place at the wrong time.

As for the middle aged travellers we've seen on the news. Yes, this virus has moved at lightening speed for sure. But, in some cases, were these people not watching the global news? China was getting worse, Italy was 2 weeks ahead of us as is Spain. We don't know if those that requested an early flight back were denied one unless they paid again, however there will be a few who have made their own luck by thinking they won't be affected by it all.

Those travellers in Peru, a couple of them were running out of ***** medicine they said on the BBC News. Rather than wait for your flight home, would you not consider that the picture was changing rapidly with what was happening in Europe and South America? Uruguay went in to lockdown very quickly. I actually stayed in Cuzco and Lima where these people were staying. Let me tell you, its basic and not a place you want to be if you think theres any hint of a crisis coming as governments like that one make up the rules as they go along. Martial law is a given at any time This is the difference between adventure travel and a week in the Costa del Sol. Sometimes having adventures is not about being brave but applying common sense and being pre-emptive to avoid danger. I'm not saying it's all of them for sure but it definitely is some of them that most likely behaved foolishly and now want repatriating at taxpayers cost.

Quote Originally Posted by stripes39 View Post
    I can see both sides to this if I'm honest.

123's point is valid in that a lot of those stuck on cruises are in the vulnerable group in society. Most if not all of the cruises that have had issues with quarantine etc have been in long haul destinations. I'd imagine many passengers never even thought it necessary to get FCO advice as they would have left many weeks ago and would have paid for a fully managed service where the cruise line set the schedule so they're simply in the wrong place at the wrong time.

As for the middle aged travellers we've seen on the news. Yes, this virus has moved at lightening speed for sure. But, in some cases, were these people not watching the global news? China was getting worse, Italy was 2 weeks ahead of us as is Spain. We don't know if those that requested an early flight back were denied one unless they paid again, however there will be a few who have made their own luck by thinking they won't be affected by it all.

Those travellers in Peru, a couple of them were running out of ***** medicine they said on the BBC News. Rather than wait for your flight home, would you not consider that the picture was changing rapidly with what was happening in Europe and South America? Uruguay went in to lockdown very quickly. I actually stayed in Cuzco and Lima where these people were staying. Let me tell you, its basic and not a place you want to be if you think theres any hint of a crisis coming as governments like that one make up the rules as they go along. Martial law is a given at any time This is the difference between adventure travel and a week in the Costa del Sol. Sometimes having adventures is not about being brave but applying common sense and being pre-emptive to avoid danger. I'm not saying it's all of them for sure but it definitely is some of them that most likely behaved foolishly and now want repatriating at taxpayers cost.
    But don't you remember being 20 something you thought you were invincible!

Quote Originally Posted by 9goals2hattricks3pen View Post
    But don't you remember being 20 something you thought you were invincible!
    I certainly take your point 923 and yes, I do. Thing is though, some of the people interviewed are in their 40's and 50's. Like I said, some may have requested earlier flights and been refused or told to pay again in which case let the travel agents pay. In cases where people (backpackers) old enough to know better ignored what was going on as they wanted to see their holiday out or didn't take FOC advice, let them pay for themselves

The FO advised against foreign travel on 17th March so less than 2 weeks ago.

Two 'kids' I saw interviewed tonight were so excited at being told they could fly home. Irresponsible and foolish? I hope not they are both Junior doctors.

Is anyone out there thinks we should do nothing? If so say so,

The update today said that the Government was receiving 1000 calls a day from stranded UK citizens, one day was 1,500. Why do reporters and public expect the Government to just wave a magic wand and deal with every situation perfectly? and why does the Government get no praise whatsoever? Its clear now that most countries have been struggling to get supplies because like panic buying if someone buys all the bog rolls you cant get any. One thing has been very apparent recently. This country does have some amazing resources and talent to find and fix most things. We are more than good enough.

Hear hear Boingy.

On the News 30,000 Brits trying to get out of Oz.

Who is advocating we do nothing?

There are a lot of people seem to be stranded but when you consider Boris is going to piss £5.8m up the wall just writing letters to us all about stuff we already know it seems we could and probably should get them home and worry about claiming the fares later.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)