+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dover runs out of money

Quote Originally Posted by legs77 View Post
    I dont either as they rely on supporter's attending games and the odd tv game for money.

Far too many clubs live hand to mouth.

Last year I was saying football needs to sort itself out business wise for example if you bring in £2k a month you wouldnt carrying on spending £3k a month at home as soon the sh#t hits the fan.

The explanation someone gave was "Football doesnt work like that" well it will do now and this will go all the way to the top.

This has really brought it home how can a player in the top league earn £200k a week whilst a nurse is on lets say £20-40k a year completely wrong.
    As you and others say it does not make sense to terminate the season now for clubs struggling with no match day income. Is it not better to treat this period of time as the closed season and the games be played at a later date? Then these clubs will be able to get revenue from their home games albeit in the future and as such all it does is shift the income stream to a later date. Terminating the season now is almost cutting off their noses to spite their faces as they will never ever get income from those remaining home games. So what is a club like Dover’s agenda? They are not struggling on the field or in a relegation battle and those players contracts who end at the end of the season will not finish until the end of June.

This crisis has been an earthquake in society and so will be in the football world which has largely lived in its own financial bubble for many years totally separate from reality as your figures of wages compared to everyone else in society demonstrate. Certainly at the higher levels.

One of the positives that may come out of all of this is that it may finally wake the football world up to the realities of the real financial world for the everyday working man, woman and family.

Unfortunately clubs like Notts and the likes of Bury have been there on our knees and on the brink of survival. This crisis could see many other clubs quickly end up in the same position whom have either overspent or live almost hand to mouth game to game.

This is where the FA will need to implement new rules and procedures for clubs joining their competitions going forward. As a minimum they should be able to demonstrate income will not exceed expenditure over the coming season.
    Last edited by MAD_MAGPIE; 29-03-2020 at 04:18 PM.

That's a very thoughtful post madmagpie

Considering Dover's disgraceful anti-football shenanigans when they visited Meadow Lane, and their manager's despicable behaviour at the final whistle, they are one club I would certainly love to see go bust. I feel sorry for all other clubs that are struggling but Dover get no sympathy for me, tinpot club tinpot manager.

Quote Originally Posted by tied_up_in_notts View Post
    Considering Dover's disgraceful anti-football shenanigans when they visited Meadow Lane, and their manager's despicable behaviour at the final whistle, they are one club I would certainly love to see go bust. I feel sorry for all other clubs that are struggling but Dover get no sympathy for me, tinpot club tinpot manager.
    Sounds like you'd like to see them go over a cliff.

Quote Originally Posted by navypie View Post
    Sounds like you'd like to see them go over a cliff.
    Boom Boom

Quote Originally Posted by MAD_MAGPIE View Post
    As you and others say it does not make sense to terminate the season now for clubs struggling with no match day income. Is it not better to treat this period of time as the closed season and the games be played at a later date? Then these clubs will be able to get revenue from their home games albeit in the future and as such all it does is shift the income stream to a later date. Terminating the season now is almost cutting off their noses to spite their faces as they will never ever get income from those remaining home games. So what is a club like Dover’s agenda? They are not struggling on the field or in a relegation battle and those players contracts who end at the end of the season will not finish until the end of June.

This crisis has been an earthquake in society and so will be in the football world which has largely lived in its own financial bubble for many years totally separate from reality as your figures of wages compared to everyone else in society demonstrate. Certainly at the higher levels.

One of the positives that may come out of all of this is that it may finally wake the football world up to the realities of the real financial world for the everyday working man, woman and family.

Unfortunately clubs like Notts and the likes of Bury have been there on our knees and on the brink of survival. This crisis could see many other clubs quickly end up in the same position whom have either overspent or live almost hand to mouth game to game.

This is where the FA will need to implement new rules and procedures for clubs joining their competitions going forward. As a minimum they should be able to demonstrate income will not exceed expenditure over the coming season.
    A great post. A wake up to the whole world, not just football.
    The root of the evil though is pay per view television. Premiership club ticket sale revenue is miniscule compared to tv income.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12