+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Biggest Donkey in a Notts shirt

After giving it some serious thought it would have been very late 90's not earlier as I stated,sorry

Quote Originally Posted by boland View Post
    I think Bly replaced Tony Hateley. My first thought was Jeff Astle but then I seem to remember they played together for Notts. The manager may have been Eddie Lowe.
    Lowe didn't come till a couple of seasons later. I think you're right about Big Tony. Probably Tim Colman was manager. Whilst he made his name at Posh it seems as if he came to us from Coventry and had scored against us in a couple of preceding seasons, from his Wiki:

1956–1960 Norwich City 57 (31)
    1960–1962 Peterborough United 88 (81)
    1962–1963 Coventry City 32 (25)
    1963–1964 Notts County 29 (4)
    1964–1970 Grantham 199 (125)

I remember a trial-list that Sir Jimmy bought in, an RAF International no less went by the name of Norman Norman, I don't know if he was related to Norman Wisdom, but Norman Wisdom would have been of more use.

Been watching Notts for 50 years. Alas, I've seen too many poor players. Because he was an absolute cheat and a pathetic excuse for a captain Richard Duffy gets my vote. What a piece of s***!!!

Bob Catlin. I'll never forget his home debut.

Darren Caskey was somebody who I never liked but I wouldn't call him a donkey

Quote Originally Posted by BJPIE View Post
    Been watching Notts for 50 years. Alas, I've seen too many poor players. Because he was an absolute cheat and a pathetic excuse for a captain Richard Duffy gets my vote. What a piece of s***!!!
    He shouldn't be in contention imo just because he had at least one good run of form in his time here where he showed why he'd had a career way above us before joining, people loved to hate him but he wasn't THAT bad, his defence conceded the third least goals in the league under Nolans first full season.

5 pages and not a single mention of the Blackpool Donkey himself, Ben Burgess? He arrived with known knee issues, Short didn't even bother giving him a medical and he proceeded to steal a living off Notts for at least 2 years wasn't it?

Gavin Gordon was also utter dog sh*te and so was Brett Angel after his debut. I'd agree with the guy that said Sean Canham in that a football "donkey" is usually used to describe a big forward that's useless and Canham certainly fit that bill, that was the standard of player McParland SPENT MONEY ON, before the Munto season and a blank chequebook

Quote Originally Posted by Freeman25 View Post
    5 pages and not a single mention of the Blackpool Donkey himself, Ben Burgess?
    I mentioned "The Burger Van" on the first page. Couldn't stop laughing when Martin Allen used the nickname we'd given him when talking about Burgess in an interview with Colin, but he encouraged the crowd to get behind him and he did manage to score four league goals after that.

Quote Originally Posted by Old_pie View Post
    Lowe didn't come till a couple of seasons later. I think you're right about Big Tony. Probably Tim Colman was manager. Whilst he made his name at Posh it seems as if he came to us from Coventry and had scored against us in a couple of preceding seasons, from his Wiki:
    Tim Coleman was still manager when Hateley was sold.
    Eddie Lowe took over the following summer (1963) and Bly arrived during 63/64.

Lowe's stats are appalling for a manager who had 87 league games in charge, if it had been 3 pts per win back then he would averaged 1 point a game. 25% win rate. -63 goal difference. First Notts manager to take us to 92nd in the Football League and left us 34 places lower than when he took over.

Quote Originally Posted by cocopops61 View Post
    Darren Caskey was somebody who I never liked but I wouldn't call him a donkey
    ....... Or a whippet. Perhaps a honed Michelin man?

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast