+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: O/T how are you getting your sporting fix?

O/T how are you getting your sporting fix?

Just an enquiry, not an excuse for us all to slag each others' options

Me?

Currently watching the Indycar iRacing Challenge Red Cross GP from Watkins Glen, and while I accept criticism of motor racing in general it really is an excellent effort by indycar

Also dusted off my generation 1 Playstation for some kidding-myself-F1-round-Monaco action later

Mrs F waiting for TV reruns of Scotland Rugby matches starting Friday

Anyone?

BT running an interesting series of programmes about the history of American college football (their type, not ours)

Interestingly SKY are showing how much they are new kids on the block. The F1 channel keeps showing the same old repeats of recent races, and the cricket channel cant seem to get beyond recent limited over world cups - prticularly last summer that we can al remember watching a few months ago.

After anther few months of this I suspect I will have to resort to chewing my own fingers off, or, worse yet, starting to watch Game of Thrones from series 1 onwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    BT running an interesting series of programmes about the history of American college football (their type, not ours)

Interestingly SKY are showing how much they are new kids on the block. The F1 channel keeps showing the same old repeats of recent races, and the cricket channel cant seem to get beyond recent limited over world cups - prticularly last summer that we can al remember watching a few months ago.

After anther few months of this I suspect I will have to resort to chewing my own fingers off, or, worse yet, starting to watch Game of Thrones from series 1 onwards.
    I'll check that BT thing out, I have a USA friend for whom that (rather than NFL) is his chosen sport. so I have a bit of interest myself

Winding GP and Tricky up.

I have a box set of the 2005 Ashes still to turn to after cancelling Sky Sports. Six months, as was spoken of earlier this evening, could prove testing though.

Think there’s a Subbuteo in the loft.

Why would a Scot watch Scotland rugby matches? Recipe for even more disappointment.
    Last edited by ramAnag; 29-03-2020 at 06:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Winding GP and Tricky up.

I have a box set of the 2005 Ashes still to turn to after cancelling Sky Sports. Six months, as was spoken of earlier this evening, could prove testing though.

Think there’s a Subbuteo in the loft.

Why would a Scot watch Scotland rugby matches? Recipe for even more disappointment.
    If its the same box set as I have it'll cheer you up

Subbuteo was an option for me too, but then I realised I'd have to play with myself - not literally of course, although you never know six months down the line

Mrs F will be selective, every victory since Bannockburn (so a week or two)

Subbuteo was originally named, "Hobby" by it's creater, who named it after his favourite bird. The authorities wouldn't publish the name, as it's akin to calling a new game, "Game". So he called it Subbuteo, from the Hobby's scientific name, Subbuteo Subbuteo.

Other than knowing a few useless facts, I put a dartboard up yesterday, and have been challenging the wife to some backyard cricket.

Quote Originally Posted by AdiSalisbury View Post
    Subbuteo was originally named, "Hobby" by it's creater, who named it after his favourite bird. The authorities wouldn't publish the name, as it's akin to calling a new game, "Game". So he called it Subbuteo, from the Hobby's scientific name, Subbuteo Subbuteo.

Other than knowing a few useless facts, I put a dartboard up yesterday, and have been challenging the wife to some backyard cricket.
    Brilliant! Wondered why it was called ‘Subbuteo’ for years and I’m a bit of an ornithologist - not to the extent of being a full on ‘twitcher’ or knowing Latin names - but thanks.

Brilliant! Wondered why it was called ‘Subbuteo’ for years and I’m a bit of an ornithologist - not to the extent of being a full on ‘twitcher’ or knowing Latin names - but thanks.
    A great leveller. When I was a kid our neighbours who had two boys around my age, both bullies and both financially spoilt by their parents. I got a **** Watkins guitar, they got a Gibson each, that sort of thing. And so with Subbuteo, as soon as they found out I had a set (not even a set, a load of bits in a shoe box) they HAD to have the 'WORLD CUP' edition with all the bells and whistles, working floodlights etc. But one thing they couldn't buy was beating me at the game, even when they cheated, I was seriously ****-hot at it and later became a bit of an obsessive/collector. Beating them on the baize often resulted in bad times for me at school thereafter, but it was worth it, and they knew it was

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    A great leveller. When I was a kid our neighbours who had two boys around my age, both bullies and both financially spoilt by their parents. I got a **** Watkins guitar, they got a Gibson each, that sort of thing. And so with Subbuteo, as soon as they found out I had a set (not even a set, a load of bits in a shoe box) they HAD to have the 'WORLD CUP' edition with all the bells and whistles, working floodlights etc. But one thing they couldn't buy was beating me at the game, even when they cheated, I was seriously ****-hot at it and later became a bit of an obsessive/collector. Beating them on the baize often resulted in bad times for me at school thereafter, but it was worth it, and they knew it was
    Victory can be very sweet! I was no good at it, but quite enjoyed it, and had the cricket equivalent which was much fun!

I enjoy birding and associated reading, but can't do much field work at the moment, looks a bit strange if someone sees you looking out the window with binoculars!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)