+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Great Sporting Upsets

Great Sporting Upsets

I'll start with James Buster Douglas who absolutely gave Mike Tyson a real beating in 1990 .

This was meant to be a warm up fight for Tyson as he prepared to take on Evander Holyfield later on that year .

Nobody gave Douglas a chance , they had to host the fight in Tokyo because nobody in America would have paid a cent to watch it .

This wasn't some plucky no hoper landing a lucky knock out punch , he actually beat Tyson up good and proper for 10 rounds before knocking him out .

Biggest upset in boxing bar none in my opinion .

I bought a dartboard two weeks ago... We haven’t played for ten years.... Thought it might be a good thing for an hour a day whilst work is shut down.
    set it up in house Saturday morning.
    Me and Mrs T practiced and hour mid afternoon, then had a best of three 301 as a final chuck before we gave up for Tea.
    I needed 101.
    “Treble seven**** bull”. . I said... showing off my skills at numeracy... knowing that not one dart had actually hit owt decent in an hours play.....

And then I hit both.

definitely UPSET....! But what she said wasn’t sporting

Becker winning Wimbledon as a 17yr old was big news although I was only 7 years old but I remember it quite well.

Wimbledon winning the Cup against liverpool was a massive shock. On Dave Beasant lifting the trophy John Motson said "It's a weird and wonderful world if you live in Wimbledon right now"

Denmark winning the 1992 Euros despite not having qualified and only getting in because Yugoslavia pulled out because of the war .

They had less than two weeks to prepare for the tournament .

Beat Holland in the semi final and world champions Germany in the final .

Quote Originally Posted by pass_and_move View Post
    Becker winning Wimbledon as a 17yr old was big news although I was only 7 years old but I remember it quite well.
    Best 17 year old tennis player I've ever seen , Becker had unbelievable talent and played with no fear what so ever .

The era of the serve volley game , not sure how he would go on today but at that time he had the perfect game for Wimbledon .

John Daly who was 9th replacement for the 1991 PGA Championship .

He got in on the eve of the tournament and drove through the night to get to the venue .

Won it by 6 shots .

A very flawed character with his grip it and rip it style and his off course problems .

Proved he was no one time lucky winner when he won our 1995 Open Championship .

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    John Daly who was 9th replacement for the 1991 PGA Championship .

He got in on the eve of the tournament and drove through the night to get to the venue .

Won it by 6 shots .

A very flawed character with his grip it and rip it style and his off course problems .

Proved he was no one time lucky winner when he won our 1995 Open Championship .
    Aye a remember that PGA win he had, nubdy heard on him but he tore it up. That was a shock victory.

The 1995 Open was probably the most dramatic final hole I've ever seen. Costantino Rocca needed a birdie on the final hole to take it to a play off with Daly. He hit a nice safe drive and left a 60yrd chip into the green. He totally fluffed the chip under big pressure and it trickled into the Valley of Sin leaving him an almost impossible long range putt.

The camera panned to Daly and his wife in the St Andrew's clubhouse prematurely hugging each other in celebration thinking Rocca was left with an almost impossible putt and that Daly had won the title. However, Rocca miraculously managed to hole his a one in a thousand chance putt much to Daly's dismay and take it to the play off. That was an amazing moment.

Credit to Daly in the play off though. After Roccas miracle and seemingly having the title snatched away from him he regained his focus and composure to destroy Rocca in the 4 hole play off. That takes character

Fulham 0 Barnsley 3

One of the worst teams to represent Barnsley since the 2004/5 days of Tony Vaughan and Matt Carbon bottom club Barnsley go to the capital to beat high flying Fulham 3-0.
    Last edited by SBRed48; 30-03-2020 at 01:06 PM.

The 4x400m relay in the 1991 world athletics championship was a huge shock. Team GB (Roger Black, Derek Redmond,
    John Regis, Kriss Akabusi) beat the star studded Americans who were absolute red hot favourites for the gold. We changed tactics putting our best runner Roger Black in first when he'd have normally run the anchor leg to give us an early advantage and it payed off.

The anchor leg run by Akabusi (a 400m hurdler) against Pettigrew (the 400m champion) was epic. As the batton was passed going into the final leg Akabusi was 3 or 4 meters behind Pettigrew and I have to say it looked a formality but Akabusi clung onto his shirt tails and dramatically overtook Pettigrew on the home stretch to take gold for team GB. That was the first time athletics had got me out of my seat, a great moment and a huge shock. The Americans could barely believe that they'd been beaten.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast