+ Visit Carlisle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Peeve

Peeve

Over at the other place we often see the word 'peeve' used, referring to alcoholic drink.

Nobody outside the Carlisle / Whitehaven / Penrith triangle uses the word in that context. Yet this usage occurs on a web site which of course is read all over the planet and maybe beyond that. There are lots of Carlisle United supporters who live outside the triangle. Those living elsewhere in the UK do not write posts to the other place in local slang. Those in France, Italy etc do not write in the languages of those countries nor do I use Australian slang. The reason is that to be understood by the club's English speaking supporters from Shap to Shanghai the best method is to use words that convey the proper meaning.

I disagree with you Les and think that local slang should be used on Carlisle forums,Carlisle aren't Liverpool or Man Utd so 95% of the viewers will be familiar with the term no matter where they are,local slang is being used less and less with each generation as the world gets smaller,one was day there will be no local slang and it will be lost forever

Now gerout on it yer bogger

Nay f­ucker outside the Carlisle / Whitehaven / Penrith triangle knows this slang and everyone everywhere has their own local slang and has f­uck all interest in any other slang.

How often do you hear even our very own Melvyn Bragg say "Aa's gannin' oot fer peeve like, eh".

Is the use of any slang an attractive trait outside its area or even in it? The most well known slang is C­ockney Rhyming Slang, which is , to say the least, the most boring slang in the entire universe.

Yeah but the forum is for Carlisle fans and so local slang should be used,it's like camaraderie,they use local slang on Barnsley mad all the time and they sound proper northern on there

A very significant percentage of CUFC supporters are not local, therefor on a web site the way to make yourself clear is to use language that can be understood by every supporter who speaks English, as I state from Shap to Shanghai. What makes the use of slang even worse is that within each version of slang there are sub-versions i.e. Carlisle, Whitehaven, South Cumbrian (Westmorland). There are the adjacent Northumberland and North Lancashire slangs. These areas all are populated by Carlisle United fans.

If every Carlisle United supporter used his / her own variant of Cumbrian or adjacent slang then this site would hardly be able to be understood by people within those areas and those further afield would be even worse off. There are supporters of the club in several Scandanavian countries, both English and native to those countries.

How come there's native Scandinavians and others that support Utd?
    Carlisle aren't a big club in my eyes (ducks for cover ) so the vast majority of support must be local with maybe the odd ex pat looking in,in a couple of generations time when Facebook/Twitter or whoever own the world we will all speak a common language and all use the same slang lol,local accents will be a thing of the past and you will be no different than somebody posting in London,is that what you want to lose your local identity,when I was younger it was common to look at the sky and say "Its a bit black over Bills movvers" when describing a cold dark day and I was going to say that the expression had totally died away until I heard an old bloke say it a few months back,I could have kissed him

OK Chalky, that's 3 goes each and this is not a war, best wishes. Name:  handshake_1f91d.png
Views: 180
Size:  3.4 KB

I didn't see it as a war Les but I do believe that one day local accents and phrases will die out 👍

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)