+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Spurs

Spurs

Daniel Levi has announced that 550 staff are to be laid off with the government picking up the tab for 80% of their wages. Spurs won’t be topping up the remaining 20% of their salaries. Meanwhile the first team staff and himself ( who took £7M In bonuses in the last 12 months) remain unaffected. He said that the reason staff have been let go is to ‘protect the clubs finances’. So the multimillionaire owner and players are ok then even if Spurs are diverting money that could have gone to the NHS or struggling small businesses and getting the taxpayer to foot their bill? Ashley at Newcastle is reportedly following the same model. And some people say some of the modern players and owners are greedy and self serving with morals!

It seems horrible at first look mate but I suppose at least those people are getting paid rather than Spurs completely binning them.

I’m surprised clubs aren’t “furloughing” the playing staff because as employees of the club surely they’re entitled to?

Agree with your comments mate. I guess my point was that the spirit of the government bailout was probably not aimed at premier league clubs some of whom pay salaries of several hundred K a week so more of a moral point than a legal one. Someone earning £30k a year gets their salary chopped yet someone earning £100K a week gets looked after. Seems morally bankrupt to me.

Here’s a radical idea but taking a leaf out of Barcelona FC’s book, Levi and the first team at Spurs in this case could take a significant pay cut, ensure that all the regular staff like the receptionists and bar staff get paid and don’t use the taxpayer / money that could go to the NHS to fund one of Europe’s richest clubs until this is over and they start raking in the millions again.

I think this crisis will be a defining point where people view certain companies and parts of society as to how they’ve acted. Have they taken or given? I really hope those who have taken advantage get called out

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    It seems horrible at first look mate but I suppose at least those people are getting paid rather than Spurs completely binning them.

I’m surprised clubs aren’t “furloughing” the playing staff because as employees of the club surely they’re entitled to?
    I thought the same - but can you imagine the reaction of footballers told their pay was going down by 20% and getting to do f'all for their trouble!

They are following Branson with this ploy . They should pay their staff as they can afford it and you never see them pay any apart from tax when things are going well , they take the dividends when things are good so should use those banked profits at times when it is not so good . Levi paid himself 3 million bonus last year just for the completion of the new stadium even though it wasn’t built in time . I think this may have answered a problem if the premier league have the balls . Tottenham and Newcastle relegated from the Prem for unsportsmanlike behaviour and will be replaced by Leeds United and West Bromwich Albion. 😎😏

If these guys want to make most of government backing so be it.. I just hope that our government thinks about using their stadiums as temporary hospitals/isolation wards to save on costs. I wonder how these owners would react then. Personally I think if you seek government help the moral obligation would be to return the favor.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)