+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Least favourite British accent/dialect

[QUOTE=Sclox;39469939]I had a mate years ago, went to Canada on holiday and came home talking with a Canadian accent for a month. Daft cnt.

Also a childhood mate now lives in Yorkshire complete with the full accent. Surreal.[/QUOTE

Canadians sound much the same to me except for the east coasters and Quebec. Whenever I'm over your side, the first day sounds a bit strange but then I fall right back into it.

[QUOTE=Cannylad;39469943]
    Quote Originally Posted by Sclox View Post
    I had a mate years ago, went to Canada on holiday and came home talking with a Canadian accent for a month. Daft cnt.

Also a childhood mate now lives in Yorkshire complete with the full accent. Surreal.[/QUOTE

Canadians sound much the same to me except for the east coasters and Quebec. Whenever I'm over your side, the first day sounds a bit strange but then I fall right back into it.
    Lol. Strange how some accents are almost contagious. I find myself very susceptible to this wherever I go.

Strangest thing I experienced was in a restaurant in France being served by a Chinese waiter speaking perfect French trying to speak English. Trippy.

I met a lad in London last year (born and bred in UK) with a NZ accent. His missus was from there and he spent a year there.
    *******s if you ask me - shows some people are desperate to fit in. At school in Newcastle I had the p*ss ripped constantly for not having a geordie accent and even speaking fluent portuguese now I have a strong British accent (tried to lose it but can’t even after 20 yesrs!).

To answer the question, the worst accent in the country (by a mile) is Brummie IMO.

Worked with a guy from Walkerville over here, or as he called it, Waaarkaville. He refused to tone it down, most of the locals didn't have a 'kin clue what he was talking about most of the time. He always claimed that only true Geordies came from there everybody else was a phony. Saw him about a year ago and his patter is still exactly the same, you'd think he'd just stepped off the boat.

Mackem.

Hands down.

Scouse for me 100% i can't stand it.

I think it's disrespectful to your home area to purposely lose your natural accent and try to adopt an artificial one just because you have moved around the country or indeed the world.

I remember in 1964 visiting a client in Sunniside whose sister in law had just returned from the States on holiday after moving there to marry an American fellow 9 months earlier and would you believe she had a stronger accent than her husband who had lived there for 30 years.

Myself, Iv'e been away from the North East for 56 years now and when I'm introduced to some one down here I'm proud that they always pick up on my accent.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)