+ Visit Queen of the South FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: O/T Scotland fans going to Wembley 70s

Just found the newspaper cutting and the MP was called Terry Dicks who called the Scots at Wembley '' pigs and animals ''

Quote Originally Posted by Ftivano1 View Post
    Coming back from Wembley on a Balmoral Hotel bus some one forced open the roof window on the bus the wrong way round and it took off. Amazingly the driver never noticed until we had a comfort stop. On reflection it was a f---ing stupid thing to do as it could have caused a serious accident - today's Tartan Army are only a platoon in numbers compared to the Scottish fans that went to London in those days - one year the press estimated that there were approximately 70,000 in attendance. I have still got the cutting somewhere from a newspaper of
    that time in which there was a statement from an MP that '' these animals should be banned from ever going to Wembley again ''
    Ftivano, how many times did you get down to Wembley for the Auld Enemy Clash ?

Can't really remember Hammer but quite a few - one I do recall was Wattie Dyer and myself were in the Five Arches on a Friday night when we were told that there was a bus leaving from Lockerbie at midnight. A quick phone call to book the two seats and home to tell the better halfs and pack a bag and we were offski arriving at Wembley so early there was only about 2 or 3 buses already there. I do remember we got a real hammering from the Auld Enemy - year ?

Quote Originally Posted by Ftivano1 View Post
    Can't really remember Hammer but quite a few - one I do recall was Wattie Dyer and myself were in the Five Arches on a Friday night when we were told that there was a bus leaving from Lockerbie at midnight. A quick phone call to book the two seats and home to tell the better halfs and pack a bag and we were offski arriving at Wembley so early there was only about 2 or 3 buses already there. I do remember we got a real hammering from the Auld Enemy - year ?
    Just seen this now pal
    1975 will be the year you talk of . England 5 Scotland 1

Quote Originally Posted by JRSLEFTPEG View Post
    Just seen this now pal
    1975 will be the year you talk of . England 5 Scotland 1
    The Stewart Kennedy game and he was never the same keeper again which was a shame as he was decent deserving the position on merit at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Spikefaethesouth View Post
    The Stewart Kennedy game and he was never the same keeper again which was a shame as he was decent deserving the position on merit at the time.
    Glad you mentioned that Spike. I remember Kennedy playing for Forfar in the early 80s as he was winding down his career . He unfortunately gets remembered for that one calamitous game rather than the fine keeper he was. He was a brilliant and I mean brilliant keeper at Forfar , certainly among the best I've seen outside the Premier League ( as he was then)

Name:  FB_IMG_1586298804276.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  49.0 KB

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)