+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Not where but.......

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Not necessarily a cultural thing though, Andy. My boss of some time ago was exactly the same. Looked like costing me quite a lot, but the truth will out (sometimes) as they say, and it was he who lost his job.
    He was Derbyshire born and bred, but as accomplished a liar and cheat as you’ll find...still have occasional nightmares about it.
    Accepting your anecdote (I've had bosses like that and can't pretend I'm without sin) extensive exposure personally, added to the experiences of Mrs F and a close friend, tell me it IS cultural. Regretably I think (and I'm seeing evidence on social media) The Chinese will be target for casual racism for some time to come, but the 'loss of face' thing does them no favours

I wasn’t being political or disputing anything that’s been said. Basically I’ve no firsthand knowledge of any Chinese or Far Eastern folk other than in occasional restaurants. An outbreak of the sort of racism that was directed at Muslims after 9/11 will help no one though.

I have a number of clients in the Far East and confirm all of the above have manifested themselves in my dealings with them. But once aware of it you can adjust your own behaviour to accommodate, maybe biting your tongue at the same time

I wasn’t being political or disputing anything that’s been said. Basically I’ve no firsthand knowledge of any Chinese or Far Eastern folk other than in occasional restaurants. An outbreak of the sort of racism that was directed at Muslims after 9/11 will help no one though.
    No one said you was RA.

I do not know if you have been to the far east, but if you have then you will know of it.
    There are a few do's and don't I learned out there.

1. Remove shoes
    2. Never show your foot soles at a person( feet are regarded as dirty)
    3. never insult the royal family
    4. Never touch one on the head
    5. Never touch a monk or ridicule a religious figure
    6. do not embarress anyone that causes them to lose face

6 is right up there, as I think Westerners are well known for taking the piss and playing jokes.
    Don't do it ffs or get ready for a good kicking, off a whole mob of them

Quote Originally Posted by Trickytreesreds View Post
    No one said you was RA.

I do not know if you have been to the far east, but if you have then you will know of it.
    There are a few do's and don't I learned out there.

1. Remove shoes
    2. Never show your foot soles at a person( feet are regarded as dirty)
    3. never insult the royal family
    4. Never touch one on the head
    5. Never touch a monk or ridicule a religious figure
    6. do not embarress anyone that causes them to lose face

6 is right up there, as I think Westerners are well known for taking the piss and playing jokes.
    Don't do it ffs or get ready for a good kicking, off a whole mob of them
    7 don't raise a fuss when they spit in public or in the workplace, especially if 'they' are your bosses boss

My most recent experience of 6 was last summer, when a Chinese guest in our Airbnb broke a house rule (respect the neighbours: he repeatedly threw apple cores into their garden). I pointed it out to him, politely but in front of a friend, and the perceived loss of face sent the guy into a spiral of denial that lasted two months after he left and included him calling round my house when my elderly inlaws were dogsitting while Mrs F and I were out, a thoroughly unpleasant experience for them
    Last edited by Andy_Faber; 03-04-2020 at 08:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    7 don't raise a fuss when they spit in public or in the workplace, especially if 'they' are your bosses boss

My most recent experience of 6 was last summer, when a Chinese guest in our Airbnb broke a house rule (respect the neighbours: he repeatedly threw apple cores into their garden). I pointed it out to him, politely but in front of a friend, and the perceived loss of face sent the guy into a spiral of denial that lasted two months after he left and included him calling round my house when my elderly inlaws were dogsitting while Mrs F and I were out, a thoroughly unpleasant experience for them
    Oh dear, ouch.

The simplest one I saw. Was an Aussie tourist stop a Thai and ask for directions.
    He showed him a picture of a bar but the address was in English.
    The Thai just told him a load of bollox as to where it was and walked away. When I explained to the Aussie, where it really was, he was confused and angry.
    I just said leave it and go. It isnt worth the hassle.

Should also add to that list

8. shower regularly, they hate uncleanliness
    9. Whistle at night as it's regarded as the worst bringer of bad luck possible.

Wouldn't change them for the world though. They are a lovely people.
    Last edited by Trickytreesreds; 03-04-2020 at 08:41 PM.

It’s been said to have come from bats, I believe, MA...however there is an Institute of Virology in Wuhan. Coincidence?

The idea that terrorists are now aware of exactly how devastatingly effective ‘germ/virus warfare’ can be in paralysing the developed world scares the wotsit out of me.

Tricky...I knew Johnson was born in America and of Turkish-Muslim ancestry. Only now do I suspect him to have some Chinese genes.
    Revis or langruh ?

Never mind jeans...the cynic in mean thinks...’what a great trick’...China gives the World Covid-19 and then gets rich by selling it hundreds of thousands of masks.

This at a time when Trump has been accused of modern day piracy by ‘hijacking’ the sale of two hundred thousand masks en route from Beijing to Berlin.

I'd suggest the conspiracy could be way deeper than that. China announces problem, closes down a so called infected state, sends a load of COVID carriers out across the world to spread and cripple other economies and then miraculously is first to recover and finds itself the dominant world power, having knocked the US of that perch forever.

Fiendish plan from Cato Fong and his little yellow friends. Saaaaaaaaaah

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)