+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: O/T:- COVID-19 Data Thread

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

O/T:- COVID-19 Data Thread

Firstly, please be assured there is no morbid reason for this thread, just responding to other comments and thinking it might be good to provide a thread where we can post and discuss new data and info as it happens.

I'll start by posting some charts and stats that will hopefully give us all an overview of where we are currently at both here in the UK and globally. In the charts I have focussed on countries I think will be of most interest to posters on the forum and have used online sources which are credited in the charts.

I'll try to keep it as brief as possible.

Current key figures for the world after todays updates. . .

Cases: 1,062,777
    Deaths: 56,607
    Recovered: 225,622

This means that globally out of the 282,229 closed cases to date approx 20% have resulted in a death. This seems quite high but can be expected to drop as the recovery rate would be expected to rise in comparison to the increase in the number of cases reported due to more testing.

Daily deaths recorded up to 11.30am today so does not include todays figures from overnight. The UK pretty much tracking Italy's trajectory approx doubling every 2.5 days, Spain currently doubling every 2 days and the US hovering around every 3 days.

Name:  covid-confirmed-deaths-since-5th-death.jpg
Views: 642
Size:  15.2 KB

The case fatality rate (CFR) compares fatalities to cases. Italy with a CFR of 12% with Spain and the UK hovering around 9%. Interestingly the US is pretty low in comparison.

Name:  coronavirus-cfr.jpg
Views: 648
Size:  16.9 KB

Total confirmed deaths in the following chart again shows Italy pretty much off the scale. More interesting is the sudden slow down and levelling of in China. One has to ask the question how accurate is the sata they are releasing? Alternatively we can take it at face value and take some comfort from the fact they might actually be over the worse which is good news for the rest of us.

Name:  total-deaths-covid-19.jpg
Views: 636
Size:  13.2 KB

Looking at the UK and including the latest figures cases and deaths continue to rise as expected.

Name:  _111603399_uk_trend_chart_3apr-nc.jpg
Views: 635
Size:  18.9 KB

Map of UK and current cases by location:

Name:  _111534563_optimised-uk_la_map_2apr-nc.jpg
Views: 595
Size:  10.2 KB

There's been quite a bit of discussion around testing and how effective this can be when it comes to identifying and reducing the spread of the virus.

I also have data relating to testing and how age is affected by the virus but I can only attach 5 pics per post so will have to add these later.

I would encourage others to add to the thread if they wish as things are moving extremely quickly and I won't be able to keep on top of everything myself.

Also, I've not made any kind of insightful analysis yet as it could get quite boring and I think it is more about information than opinion but there is the argument about whether the reporting should include deaths where the virus is not the main cause of death but was present at time of death. Personally I think it should be reported if present as this is the only way to keep accurate records but maybe there should be a seperate column for underlying health issues?
    Last edited by SwalePie; 03-04-2020 at 08:02 PM.