+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A European League.

A European League.

Is now the time that the big clubs of Europe form a new league? Covid 19 and it's restrictions could be a catalist for the top clubs to screw over their football associations and start a closed league for the rich and famous clubs.

This will open the doors for them to sell games to Stadium owners around the globe and form even a greater imballance of wealth within the game.

British teams like Manchester United and City, Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal and Spurs could be lost to the English game whilst in Spain, Germany and Italy other giant teams with mega wealthy owners will want to join.

Let's face it, the FA and the EFL are not in charge of the game anymore! They accept a majority decision from the club owners but this will be different as they won't have a choice in the matter.

I kind of want a breakaway league to happen.

This could become a reality Frog, the teams you mention could break away and still field a weaker team in the premiership as well.

Quote Originally Posted by gm_gm View Post
    This could become a reality Frog, the teams you mention could break away and still field a weaker team in the premiership as well.
    Them clubs that leave can't be allowed to have a second club affilated to an Football association gmgm. They can't be allowed to drink from 2 sources or it'll just kill the rest of football.

If they go there should be now way back and no way of milking other competitions anywhere in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by frogmiller View Post
    Them clubs that leave can't be allowed to have a second club affilated to an Football association gmgm. They can't be allowed to drink from 2 sources or it'll just kill the rest of football.

If they go there should be now way back and no way of milking other competitions anywhere in the world.
    agree with all the above.

I suppose it would depend on FIFA agreeing because of the international angle with the threat of banning the players who take part in the new league from the World Cup.
    Also English clubs would be banned unless we agree to the Froggies fishing in our coastal waters

I think a breakaway league is a possibility

What we might get first though is a Premier League 2 populated by the reserves of the main clubs, followed by a complete separation of the leagues below it.

So promotion to the Prem from the Championship might become impossible, so the Premiership can protect their brand image and USP

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    I think a breakaway league is a possibility

What we might get first though is a Premier League 2 populated by the reserves of the main clubs, followed by a complete separation of the leagues below it.

So promotion to the Prem from the Championship might become impossible, so the Premiership can protect their brand image and USP
    I could live with a small group of clubs leaving for a super league but to stop promotion to and from the prem would be a death knell.

Imperative we get promoted this season then

Quote Originally Posted by frogmiller View Post
    Is now the time that the big clubs of Europe form a new league? Covid 19 and it's restrictions could be a catalist for the top clubs to screw over their football associations and start a closed league for the rich and famous clubs.

This will open the doors for them to sell games to Stadium owners around the globe and form even a greater imballance of wealth within the game.

British teams like Manchester United and City, Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal and Spurs could be lost to the English game whilst in Spain, Germany and Italy other giant teams with mega wealthy owners will want to join.

Let's face it, the FA and the EFL are not in charge of the game anymore! They accept a majority decision from the club owners but this will be different as they won't have a choice in the matter.

I kind of want a breakaway league to happen.
    If this happens this Could also trigger a merge of The rest of premiership and Championship with bottom 6 of championship being relegated to league 1. Leaving 26 teams ish

I can’t see it happening if it does it will but a big burden on the fans of the big clubs with travel costs

Not to mention I’d imagine the new premiership clubs (championship now) will no doubt break away

Quote Originally Posted by Silly-miller View Post
    If this happens this Could also trigger a merge of The rest of premiership and Championship with bottom 6 of championship being relegated to league 1. Leaving 26 teams ish

I can’t see it happening if it does it will but a big burden on the fans of the big clubs with travel costs

Not to mention I’d imagine the new premiership clubs (championship now) will no doubt break away
    They don't give a crap about the British fans not going. There's enough people willing to watch in China, Dubai and America. A one-off game will see status seeking folk come flocking

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast