+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Football suspended until further notice

Quote Originally Posted by caytonmiller View Post
    Problem is Riley. It is rocket science. The smaller clubs are already struggling financially. If this season runs and runs the clubs are only going to get into more trouble until some close. Season tickets can't be sold for next season until it has a start date. Clubs can't sign players. Most Players are contracted to end of June. Most sponsorship deals run June to June. It was mentioned about Liverpool shirt deal with Nike expiring in June and they are changing to a different manufacturers.
    That's before you get into the European cup games.
    The situation is a mine field which the fa/EFL ect could easily sort with a crystal ball
    Imo they need to make a decision in the next few week and not leave it open to "just wait and see"
    The football association need to make a commitment. They need to say the season will be completed if safe to do so upto xyz date. If this date comes and it's not safe the season will either be null and void or finished as it stands. They could ask the club's to vote on which conclusion they want just don't leave it all hanging
    Nah I still think this season should be finished no matter what. No one will be thinking of buying season tickets in time to save clubs anyway. I don't see what difference it makes. Only my opinion though.

Also rolling contracts can be offered, sponsorship deals can be sorted.

Unprecedented times mean some rules/things have to change.

By law for me to do part of my job involving training people means I have to do an annual update/refresher to prove I'm still competent to do so. Mine expires on the 10th April. Cornell University in the states have just extended my license by 6 months to enable me to carry on. No fuss no drama just made a sensible decision.

They could ask the club's to vote on which conclusion they want just don't leave it all hanging[/QUOTE]
    This would be pointless as only the promoted teams would vote for the status quo.

I note that the Rugby Union has declared the season over and the final tables to be as is. Unfortunately this means that the Titans have been relegated despite having a chance of survival.

If theres any justice in this world, for the sake of the town of Rotherham, I really hope football follows the same principle and the Millers are promoted.

The no relegation suggestion seems fair enough and just scrap the League Cup for a year.

But when, in all our history as a club or a town, have we ever had anything really work out in our favour. 😕

Quote Originally Posted by flourbasher View Post
    The Prem league are already concerned that the TV companies will insist on a huge rebate if games are not completed
    They will want to avoid this by trying to complete the season which I am sure will trickle down to the lower divisions if safe to do so
    UEFA has also permitted live games to be shown at 3pm on a Saturday thereby paving the way for behind closed doors games

But I think they will only delay the season for so long otherwise it's just kicking the problem down the road.
    The football authorities will want to return back to normality rather than have problems over two / three seasons
    In France the major sports tv channel Canal Plus has invoked force majeure and said they will not pay the next £100 million to the clubs in Ligue 1 and 2 because football is no longer able to provide the product they signed up to do.
    I cancelled my Sky Sports subscription soon after live sport was suspended and I guess a lot of people have done that so I wonder how long it will be before Sky consider taking similar action to the French broadcaster.
    If that does happen it will be a significant step change and will put further pressure on the football authorities to make a definitive decision

Quote Originally Posted by rileyev.the.third View Post
    Nah I still think this season should be finished no matter what. No one will be thinking of buying season tickets in time to save clubs anyway. I don't see what difference it makes. Only my opinion though.
    Without a cut off date? What if it's December or beyond?

Quote Originally Posted by jakethemiller View Post
    They could ask the club's to vote on which conclusion they want just don't leave it all hanging
    This would be pointless as only the promoted teams would vote for the status quo.[/QUOTE]

Not really as it limits the chance of clubs taking it to court if all have a say. Well I guess it wouldn't stop them but would restrict the chance of them winning.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazza Has A Gazza View Post
    Indeed. Whist any kind of momentum, good or bad, has gone out of the window now, the truth is we were on a wobble when the season was halted and it wouldn't have surprised me if we'd have dropped out of the playoffs given a couple more bad results.

I can't see a restart being possible anyway. My gut feeling is that it will be null and void. My hope is that they call it as it stands now, and we go up. Unless we are prepared, and can afford, to wait however long it takes to restart, then delay next season for a few weeks instead and play it out over less weeks. There's no ideal solution, and from a neutral point of view, voiding the season seems to be the option with the least complications.

I wouldn't be happy with that but there's nothing we can really do.
    Ps. Animal, I don't believe you. If it was us getting an undeserved reprieve in the Championship I'd be ecstatic.
    I like things to be earned the right way Gazza and that goes with many walks in life .

Quote Originally Posted by rileyev.the.third View Post
    Also rolling contracts can be offered, sponsorship deals can be sorted.

Unprecedented times mean some rules/things have to change.

By law for me to do part of my job involving training people means I have to do an annual update/refresher to prove I'm still competent to do so. Mine expires on the 10th April. Cornell University in the states have just extended my license by 6 months to enable me to carry on. No fuss no drama just made a sensible decision.
    It could but what if a player doesn't want to extend the contract. What if a players contract runs out in summer and the club can't afford to resign the player or don't want to offer a new contract. Sponsors could be struggling financially and can't extend contracts...

As mentioned above over the French TV rights. If sky remove some of the funding plenty of clubs will be up sht creek.
    Burnley said last week if they don't finish the season they would be short about 50 million.

Still think they should set a X day to give clubs clarification

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    I like things to be earned the right way Gazza and that goes with many walks in life .
    So if you were sat 2nd in the league you wouldn't be happy if the league was called and your club got a 100 million bonus next season?

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast