+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Football suspended until further notice

Football suspended until further notice

As the Coronavirus crisis continues, all football has been suspended until further notice. - External Link

Does anyone think there is a date they won’t go beyond and draw a line under the season? This isn’t going to go away anytime soon.

Ps I see they have called it quits in Rugby Union apart from the Premiership and effectively they have said that final placings count with 5 games to go Unfortunately that spells bad news for Rotherham Titans who, were 4 pts behind Moseley, have been relegated to what is effectively the 4th Division. 20 years ago they were celebrating the first of two promotions to the Prem. I recall around that time they won 34-0 at Exeter who are now the top team in the country.

If only the RFU run our league eh. On second thoughts not a good idea. I am not sure whether Coco the Clown is the chairman still. Sad for Titans though.
    Last edited by Nardendee; 03-04-2020 at 11:15 PM.

I think that they still have until late May because the playoff finals traditionally go until then anyway without disruption.
    If there is no chance of behind closed doors games by then I would suspect harsh decisions will have to be made

Playing behind closed door involves players, officials and some non-playing staff getting together and breaking social distancing guidance. That would send exactly the wrong message and even if the league took the surprising view that was acceptable, I can’t see how the government would not act to prevent it.

I can't see how this season can survive. If it is delayed into May/June, it would run into problems of many players being out of contract, and loan players returning to their parents clubs etc. I think it far more likely that a decision will be made to draw a line under this season to allow for proper preparation for the next one.

Whatever the premier league do everyone else will follow.
    Finish the season now, this is the most sensible solution, however there are 2 problems with this.
    The FA cup...this could have an impact on who plays in Europe next season.
    In our league teams have played a different number of games,so I'm sure that some teams would say it wouldn't be fair to just finish the season now.

Quote Originally Posted by Townerslovechild View Post
    Whatever the premier league do everyone else will follow.
    Finish the season now, this is the most sensible solution, however there are 2 problems with this.
    The FA cup...this could have an impact on who plays in Europe next season.
    In our league teams have played a different number of games,so I'm sure that some teams would say it wouldn't be fair to just finish the season now.
    Like Kerr I can't see any realistic way for this season to be completed. Its not going to be fair, that's just the reality.

Fortunately for us we're too far through the season for it to be abandoned completely in the higher levels. Liverpool and Leeds not being denied their titles are likely to be the reason we are not denied promotion.

They'll just do everything as fair as they can, likely meaning ending the season on a points per game played table, which still has us in the top 2.

In my mind the only real question is whether they scrap relegation for a season and whether they promote a team from the playoff places without being able to play those games. I don't think they should do either. I also think a few teams may not survive.
    Last edited by John2; 04-04-2020 at 09:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KerrAvon View Post
    Playing behind closed door involves players, officials and some non-playing staff getting together and breaking social distancing guidance. That would send exactly the wrong message and even if the league took the surprising view that was acceptable, I can’t see how the government would not act to prevent it.

I can't see how this season can survive. If it is delayed into May/June, it would run into problems of many players being out of contract, and loan players returning to their parents clubs etc. I think it far more likely that a decision will be made to draw a line under this season to allow for proper preparation for the next one.
    I agree with this and have been saying something similar on a different social media platform.
    I can't see anyway this season can be completed and I think the authorities should have decided that by now and declared how it will be done.
    I appreciate there is no easy solution and there will inevitably be those who think the outcome is unsatisfactory.
    If Force Majeure was declared would this not reduce or eliminate the possibility of legal challenges?

I agree with john2 that the season has gone too far for it to be scrapped altogether, although that is just an opinion and the powers that be may well decide to scrap the season, but probably only for our league downwards. If the season isnt scrapped, what ideas would most people come up with as to how best to finish the season?
    Would you prefer the current positions to be how the season determines promotion,relegation, and the play offs? It would benefit us, hardly fair but decisive, although how the play off winners are determined is another matter.
    Or how about having a virtual end to the season like with the grand national? Every teams stats loaded into a computer with all seasons scores put in, and let the computer decide? Who goes up , who goes down and who wins the play offs? In a season dominated by VAR so far, its possible we could have technology determine everyone's season Or has anyone else got any other ideas as to how they think the season could be completed in some shape or form whether desireable or not?

Quote Originally Posted by Ronners View Post
    I agree with john2 that the season has gone too far for it to be scrapped altogether, although that is just an opinion and the powers that be may well decide to scrap the season, but probably only for our league downwards. If the season isnt scrapped, what ideas would most people come up with as to how best to finish the season?
    Would you prefer the current positions to be how the season determines promotion,relegation, and the play offs? It would benefit us, hardly fair but decisive, although how the play off winners are determined is another matter.
    Or how about having a virtual end to the season like with the grand national? Every teams stats loaded into a computer with all seasons scores put in, and let the computer decide? Who goes up , who goes down and who wins the play offs? In a season dominated by VAR so far, its possible we could have technology determine everyone's season Or has anyone else got any other ideas as to how they think the season could be completed in some shape or form whether desireable or not?
    I wouldn't trust technology. Here's what I'd suggest. Every team gets to predict the result of all the remaining games in their division except their own so for eample the other 21 teams in the league would predict the result of our home game against Southend. All the games results are determined by the mode (most commonly occuring) score predicted. e.g. if 14 teams predict us winning 3-0 then that becomes the result. This accounts for and eliminates outliers e.g. Sunderland predicting Southend would beat us 3-0 just because it's in their interest for that to be the score. This would hopefully take out the 'Eurovision' effect.

Plug all results into the table and the league table is decided. Then use the same process to decide the playoffs. Bob's your uncle, season over, move on to 2020-21.

Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast