+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T Keir Starmer elected leader...

O/T Keir Starmer elected leader...

Thank God for that...at long last a credible leader of the opposition. Well done sir...best news for weeks.

Well best of luck to him, he's going to need it.
    He still has to purge the Corbynists cancer out that party to make it viable. No easy task, with the stranglehold they have on the membership.
    As for credible, every Brexit voter won't forget his stance on remaining and then second vote campaigning in a hurry.
    The red wall broke up over Labours stupidity of crapping on its core voters.
    Mr Millionaire, will have a long way to go to restore that.

Quote Originally Posted by Trickytreesreds View Post
    Well best of luck to him, he's going to need it.
    He still has to purge the Corbynists cancer out that party to make it viable. No easy task, with the stranglehold they have on the membership.
    As for credible, every Brexit voter won't forget his stance on remaining and then second vote campaigning in a hurry.
    The red wall broke up over Labours stupidity of crapping on its core voters.
    Mr Millionaire, will have a long way to go to restore that.
    ...and to think I was accused of negativity!

Overwhelming and decisive victory which hopefully points to an outbreak of common sense amongst Labour Party members.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post

Overwhelming and decisive victory which hopefully points to an outbreak of common sense amongst Labour Party members.
    Why is negativity?
    iT IS HARDCORE FACTS.

He has a lot to change, including himself, if he hopes to win back red support.
    As said, as far as lot of us are concerned, he was part of the problem.
    Daft thing is, he was the best out of a sorry bunch of wannabes.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post

Very encouraging and whats good is that it was a very clear majority for him, won in the first round!

Oh ignore Tricky RA, Brexit voters by and large have forgotten why they voted Brexit, thats assuming most of them had a coherent reason in the first place!

Even where they had one, it wasn't based on any fact, I've yet in any discussion with someone who voted leave to have a valid reason why they did so!

Its also amusing that so called "working class" people favour a political party who created and promote a society is completely skewed towards those that have wealth and power. I can only presume this either because one day the fondly imagine they might rise to such a position, or the centuries of doffing ones cap to ones supposed superiors is so ingrained in their psyche they are unable to break way from it!

Just imagine a society where those that worked hard had an equal chance with those who had everything handed to them on a plate, where there was compassion and assistance for the less fortunate and where the very rich felt an obligation to pay the taxes which keep society functioning and a better place for all of us?

In the meantime I'll settle for an opposition that can show what a fake Johnson and the Tories are!

I'm not getting into a class war polemic Swale. But it's ironic that the least Corbynista candidate has been elected leader into an almost Corbyn nirvana - state control of wages, an effective wage cap at 2500 a month, the self employed controlled by the state, a police state locking civilians in their homes and filming them in public parks, state subsidies of business, banks being "forced" to lend money to failing industries etc etc

OK that's a bit tongue in cheek and temporary but he'd have been as happy as "a pig in ****" or rather a marrow in **** given his veggie preferences.

More interestingly I suspect COVID is making many voters more receptive to some of JC's ideals and the "kinder society" but its come too late to save him. Someone else is shaking the magic money tree.

JC may have failed to live up to his namesake JC's ideals, but the seeds he has planted may yet bear longer term fruit.

I'd have preferred Nando, as I remain unconvinced by the credentials of a millionaire London based leader, but he's a big step up from Becky Corbyn. So, give him a chance and see where it goes. At least he is starting from the lowest point in party history, so has little to lose.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    I'm not getting into a class war polemic Swale. But it's ironic that the least Corbynista candidate has been elected leader into an almost Corbyn nirvana - state control of wages, an effective wage cap at 2500 a month, the self employed controlled by the state, a police state locking civilians in their homes and filming them in public parks, state subsidies of business, banks being "forced" to lend money to failing industries etc etc

OK that's a bit tongue in cheek and temporary but he'd have been as happy as "a pig in ****" or rather a marrow in **** given his veggie preferences.

More interestingly I suspect COVID is making many voters more receptive to some of JC's ideals and the "kinder society" but its come too late to save him. Someone else is shaking the magic money tree.

JC may have failed to live up to his namesake JC's ideals, but the seeds he has planted may yet bear longer term fruit.

I'd have preferred Nando, as I remain unconvinced by the credentials of a millionaire London based leader, but he's a big step up from Becky Corbyn. So, give him a chance and see where it goes. At least he is starting from the lowest point in party history, so has little to lose.
    Lol...recognise the irony.

The banks don’t seem so keen to act as providers as they did recipients a dozen years ago...or is that just my take?

By the time he takes over it may well be the lowest point in history...not just Labour Party history.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post

I think you may have overdone hyperbole on the lowest point in history, but I guess it depends upon your parameters and ones interpretation!

I don't think there is a politician or for that matter a human being who one couldn't find something to criticise.

Starmer's credentials are clear to me, a human rights lawyer, a former Director of Public Prosecution, head of crown prosecution service, comes from a humble background. Has the ability to engage intelligently and nimbly in debates and discussions and be a match for Johnson and will be someone who comes across to the voting public as a leader.

Not sure why his wealth (accumulated as a result of his own efforts and he has done a lot of pro bono work) or his living in London matters? Its what he does that will be important. Goegraphy is irrelevant unless you remain bound by it and unable to see or appreciate that theres a whole nation outside ones own local bubble.

Ironic that having defended Johnson on the basis thats its the backroom boys and gals who provide advice and influence Policy you then ascribe all of Corbyns ideas and policies to him personally. Much of what Corbyn espoused did not spring from him, some have been basic tenets of left wing politics for decades, I guess it depends upon the prism one views these things through.

Not sure where Lisa Nandy's credentials come from, inofffensive but no track record and not really whats required.

I don't doubt there will be some issues within the labour party, but given he got twice the grass roots membership vote that Long-Bailey did he can certainly claim a mandate.

I detect worrying signs of you being influenced by what the largely right wing press report about the labour party, most of it is bull**** and very partisan.

Quote Originally Posted by Trickytreesreds View Post
    Why is negativity?
    iT IS HARDCORE FACTS.

He has a lot to change, including himself, if he hopes to win back red support.
    As said, as far as lot of us are concerned, he was part of the problem.
    Daft thing is, he was the best out of a sorry bunch of wannabes.
    What utter *******s you spout! And who are these "us"? I doubt many with half a brain would align themselves with your half cocked views!

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
    What utter *******s you spout! And who are these "us"? I doubt many with half a brain would align themselves with your half cocked views!
    Being calm and non swale like.....

Well there was enough of "us" to be so disillusioned with the Labour party, we turned our backs on it. FACT.....
    Constituencies, who had always voted Labour didn't. FACT

So my half cocked views, must have grounds somewhere oh great sage.
    It was enough to change an election into a rout.
    Worst Labour performance since 1923. Figure that one out.
    Perhaps it was half dozen of me's that swung it?

You obviously love the bollox that Corbyn spouted.
    It appears that a huge proportion of the electorate didn't agree with him or you.
    You sound like a momentum die hard.
    It's actually quite funny.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)