+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T:- Keir Starmer

O/T:- Keir Starmer

So Keir is the new leader of the opposition.

What are the thoughts of folk on here about him versus Corbyn?

My opinion is that he’s obviously not as far left as Corbyn/Bailey but still appears to be keeping a lot of Labours manifesto.

I.e. the nationalisation programme

Is he going to provide a more clear approach that will win back the middle ground?
    Last edited by SwalePie; 04-04-2020 at 06:38 PM.

Well, he can have my vote again if he managers to kick out the Momentum scum. Never been a Labour party member or supporter, just a voter until Corbyn took over. In other news, listening to Thornberry ( another disaster ) earlier talking about getting Brits back from around the globe. Goes without saying we should be doing all we can but she said " for instance, we have 500,000 British nationals in Pakistan. How the fcuk have we got that many over there or are they hoping to bring all their aunties and uncles back with them!!

Definite improvement on Corbyn (though IMO it would be hard to find worse, maybe the ousted Beast of Bolsover?)......shame about Nandy as I quite fancied her, working class favourite, down-to-earth, northern roots, decent looker......Keir seems to be ok with not too many skeletons in his cupboard....grammar-school lad (they're always pretty decent, like me), anti mass immigration (numerous attempts to stop free movement of people) sticks up legally for the police, knows the law inside out, end to illegal wars is a plus, increasing tax rate for top 5% is a vote-winner

Downside was his calls for a 2nd Brexit referendum (or a confirmatory vote, same thing in my opinion), he wants more government ownership of assets ( not sure which ones but certainly taking water and rail back might win him support after that he's on a sticky wicket IMO)

Interesting times ahead.

Who persuaded Corbyn to abandon the Labour Leave voters?

Who, tho he has some Jewish heritage, watched antisemitism run riot in the Labour Party and said and did nothing?

Having said all that, pretty much anyone is an improvement on Corbyn/McDonnell but we shall wait and see.

I think it says a lot about the state of the Labour Party that Lisa Nandy was relegated to third place despite being the most talented candidate by a country mile, and the one most likely to re-connect with erstwhile Labour supporters in the north and midlands.

It's rather ironic that the party that (falsely) claims to fight for the working class and equality and diversity has elected a male, white, London-born, pro-remain lawyer with a 'Sir' in his title.

Against him - he's unexciting, a multi-millionaire (Of course it's wrong for Labour politicians to make money - only the Tories can do that) London-based, pro-Remain.
    For - a forensic lawyer who can dismantle Boris with ease, pro-HR, worked as DPP before politics. Unlike Corbyn, there are few issues in his past that can be used against him.
    I did say on here within days of December's defeat that Starmer would be the next leader and the usual suspects slagged him off without a ball being bowled.
    I agree that Lisa Nandy is a talent but she can be nurtured (as can Jess Philips). Too young yet for such a huge responsibility. This is make or break time for Labour.
    I predict that if Coronavirus gets significantly worse, a government of national unity is now a real possibility. That would never have been possible with Corbyn.
    Last edited by sidders; 04-04-2020 at 06:36 PM.

He's certainly electable. Too many unknowns at the minute to know whether he is going to be a success story for Labour.

On the nationalisation, I can’t for the life of me understand why we would want to nationalise the Royal Mail aside from looking after Unite members.

Whilst the water, electricity and gas are natural monopolies and there may be some resining behind nationalisation of them, I just cannot see it with Royal Mail.

There are already many other very good parcel delivery companies, the post offices are essentially already semi franchises (which works well as a model) which just leaves the loss making postal service side (how long before very little is posted?)

The only online “reason” appears to be the now flawed conclusion that government ownership would mean financing would be a lot cheaper (not as true now).

Is that nationalisation just to protect unite members jobs?

Quote Originally Posted by The_Don_ORiordan View Post
    On the nationalisation, I can’t for the life of me understand why we would want to nationalise the Royal Mail aside from looking after Unite members.

Whilst the water, electricity and gas are natural monopolies and there may be some resining behind nationalisation of them, I just cannot see it with Royal Mail.

There are already many other very good parcel delivery companies, the post offices are essentially already semi franchises (which works well as a model) which just leaves the loss making postal service side (how long before very little is posted?)

The only online “reason” appears to be the now flawed conclusion that government ownership would mean financing would be a lot cheaper (not as true now).

Is that nationalisation just to protect unite members jobs?
    Starmer isn't a particularly inspiring appointment, but he can only be an improvement on Corbyn in vote winning terms.

The big thing in his favour is that his opponent is pretty weak, and will only get weaker in the coming months.

I bet fatlad will be along soon spewing his usual bile.

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast