+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Wattasplash Final

Wattasplash Final

Rugby League Challenge Cup Final Leeds v Wakefield Trinity 1968,
    Sunday 1 -15 on BBC 2 ,
    Am looking forrard to watching this ageeun , " not fo faint heartud "
    Good owd Eddie Waring , classic match , classic commentary , gerrit watched

Quote Originally Posted by Romared View Post
    Rugby League Challenge Cup Final Leeds v Wakefield Trinity 1968,
    Sunday 1 -15 on BBC 2 ,
    Am looking forrard to watching this ageeun , " not fo faint heartud "
    Good owd Eddie Waring , classic match , classic commentary , gerrit watched
    Aye it's a good watch. Animal recommended it to me a couple o year agu when it wo on BBC iPlayer. A really enjoyed it and like thee Roma, al watch it ageeun

Not a game we Trinity lads like to talk about .

Fantastic documentary but the needle between the two sets of players who played that day still exists all these years later .

And little wonder ......

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    Not a game we Trinity lads like to talk about .

Fantastic documentary but the needle between the two sets of players who played that day still exists all these years later .

And little wonder ......
    I still go to watch Trinity 10 mins walk from where I live Animal over fifty years since my first game, I started going about the same to see my beloved Barnsley FC

Quote Originally Posted by Barnsley Chop View Post
    I still go to watch Trinity 10 mins walk from where I live Animal over fifty years since my first game, I started going about the same to see my beloved Barnsley FC
    Well I'm not a Wakefield lad Chop and my route to Belle Vue started very differently .

One sunday lunch time the bell rang for last orders under the old licencing laws , 2pm or what ever it was back then in the early 80's .

We all moaned and groaned as young lads do and a bloke stood at the bar says why don't you go to the Rugby League at Wakefield Trinity , the bars there are open all afternoon , in fact I'm going myself so I'll give you lads a lift .

It was a Challenge Cup game against Oldham and Trinity won comfortably and we all had a good afternoon on the lash .

We started going to every home after that and the local away games , Leeds , Cas , Fev etc etc and it wasn't long before the results started to mean something .

Unfortunately our first season supporting Trinity saw us relegated to the second division for the very first time in its proud history .

We watched us bounce straight back at the first time of asking but the next few years we were a real Yo- yo club , not good enough for the first division but far too good for the second , sound familiar ??

The early 90's were a real struggle until that great night at the John Smiths stadium when we beat Fev in the Grand Final to claim our Super League spot which we've somehow never relinquished .

My ambition is to see us at Wembley in the Challenge Cup Final , it's 41 years since we last made it and just before my time .

We live in hope Chop .

Some great comments Animal, for me loved playing rugby union (no choice at school) went on to play at reasonable level including proudly wearing a Yorkshire shirt but Barnsley FC and Wakefield Trinity are embedded into me. Just hoping to see both teams get to Wembley again in my lifetime.