+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Who Am I Quiz (No 23)

Robert Earnshaw

Quote Originally Posted by mikemiller View Post
    Peter Davenport
    Winner. You are on a roll Mike.

I am Peter Davenport

I started my career at a bit of a Lancashire/Yorkshire mashup. Played at Cammell Laird. The company came about following the merger of Laird Brothers of Birkenhead and Johnson Cammell & Co. of Sheffield at the turn of the twentieth century.

I played for league teams across 2 countries and scored goals at every one of them. England and Scotland

The only thing I have to show for a pretty good career is an FA Cup runners-up medal. With Sunderland in 1992

I played on a team that was the last to do something. That Sunderland team was the last FA Cup final team to feature all players from the British Isles.

My one chance of European glory was ended due to a 'bung' (allegedly). At Nottingham Forest. Lost 3-2 on aggregate to Anderlecht in 1984 UEFA Cup semi final where there were a number of questionable refereeing decisions. It was later discovered that before the games the referee had accepted a £27,000 'gift' from the Anderlecht chairman.

I played for my country. 1 cap for England.

I was once sold for a remarkable fee. Forest 'bought' me from Cammell Laird in exchange for a new kit.

I was a favourite around many West Midland clubs. Davenports beers were popular in the pubs and clubs around Birmingham.

I played under two of the biggest names in British football. Brian Clough and Alex Ferguson

I did something at Millmoor that I never did again. Scored my last goal for Man Utd in the 1-0 League Cup win in 1988.

I played a part in what has now become almost half a century of defeats at the home of football. The 1992 Cup Final defeat with Sunderland who are in a 47 year slump of losing at Wembley.

I was also a favourite in many West Midland homes. Davenports Beer at Home.
    Last edited by CAMiller; 05-04-2020 at 04:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CAMiller View Post

I was also a favourite in many West Midland homes. Davenports Beer at Home.
    They delivered to Brinsworth too in the old days!

No sofa-related clue.

Disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by mikemiller View Post
    They delivered to Brinsworth too in the old days!
    I knew that Mike but I wanted to give a subtle hint that the Midlands clubs clue wasn't necessarily related to football. Which clue solved the mystery for you?

Quote Originally Posted by great_fire View Post
    No sofa-related clue.

Disappointing.
    It was on my list.

Ultimately the beer probably, CAM ! Considered Gary Birtles, but he didn't quite fit the clues... so I was trying to think of similar Cloughie players ... Ian Woan... then Peter Davenport
    Last edited by mikemiller; 05-04-2020 at 05:02 PM.

I can vaguely remember him from the Panini stickers.

One of the best Panini stickers ever featured a Rotherham United player.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123