+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: O/T:- This is Sneinton

O/T:- This is Sneinton

This week's blog from Sneinton, a place steeped in history. Featuring: William Booth, Bendigo, Derek Randall and The Smiths:

https://stickypalms.blogspot.com/202...-sneinton.html

Cheers
    Last edited by SwalePie; 06-04-2020 at 11:58 AM.

Always a good read,even more so in isolation in Australia.

With respect you may possibly be wrong concerning Bendigo Sticky. I always believed he was laid to rest in the Bath Street cemetery. You could see the 'Lion' tombstone from the top of the bus after turning up Bath Street from the St Annes Well Road island. Another old famous statue was that of Queen Victoria who used to be sited more or less outside the Bell in Slab Square, later moved and still is I believe on Viccy Embankment.

Quote Originally Posted by seriouspie View Post
    With respect you may possibly be wrong concerning Bendigo Sticky. I always believed he was laid to rest in the Bath Street cemetery. You could see the 'Lion' tombstone from the top of the bus after turning up Bath Street from the St Annes Well Road island. Another old famous statue was that of Queen Victoria who used to be sited more or less outside the Bell in Slab Square, later moved and still is I believe on Viccy Embankment.
    Hi mate,

Yes, you are correct, but it is the same place, Bath St/St Mary's Rest Garden. Nice open area of green space that I've never come across before. Another Pies fan contacted me on twitter to say there is a book about Bendigo, so I will be hunting down a copy. Nottingham does have an incredible history, so much out there if you take time to look,

Quote Originally Posted by The Groundhopper View Post
    Hi mate,

Yes, you are correct, but it is the same place, Bath St/St Mary's Rest Garden. Nice open area of green space that I've never come across before. Another Pies fan contacted me on twitter to say there is a book about Bendigo, so I will be hunting down a copy. Nottingham does have an incredible history, so much out there if you take time to look,
    Aye ... have survived nearly 82 years in Notts so far - so know a little about the place! Thanks for the info on the rest garden, I didn't know it was called that as I thought you had meant St Mary's church - so yes my mistake. I follow the fight game and have done since the 60's when Reg King used to promote fights at the old ice stadium but even I am not old enough to remember William Abedgo Thompson!! You probably know you can buy the book from Amazon for about £7. I've met Derek Randall several times - great lad with no edge whatsoever, a true son of Retford CC.
    Last edited by seriouspie; 07-04-2020 at 10:47 AM.

Aye ... have survived nearly 82 years in Notts so far - so know a little about the place! Thanks for the info on the rest garden, I didn't know it was called that as I thought you had meant St Mary's church - so yes my mistake. I follow the fight game and have done since the 60's when Reg King used to promote fights at the old ice stadium but even I am not old enough to remember William Abedgo Thompson!! You probably know you can buy the book from Amazon for about £7. I've met Derek Randall several times - great lad with no edge whatsoever, a true son of Retford CC.
    Cheers mate, I'll download the book today. I got Randall's autograph many times at Trent Bridge and had the pleasure of meeting him after a do one night. Such a lovely bloke. I'm running out of places to wander to under the current restrictions. But deffo got parts of Nottingham up my sleeve such as Radford and some of the hidden gems in the city centre. Thanks for reading the blog, very much appreciated, and to all the other folks on the board too. Stay safe, Sticky x

Another one here who reads it from lockdownunder, and who has a Derek Randall autograph. In fact the only autograph in the autograph book I had.

Oh yes, went to South Wolds as well while you were living in Keyworth going on your latest blog. Got in with a couple of Notts fans from up Manor Road way back then. Glad to say that after 30 odd years I have finally kicked the cigarette habit they started me on.

Sneinton eh. Used to go swimming at the Victoria baths each week, across the road to the hole in the wall off licence to get a bag of peanuts then stopped at the chippie on Lower Parliament Street (I think) for a battered sausage on the way home.

Jeez, the only thing that makes me homesick is the pubs and now I really want a pint of Directors.

I used to go to the Reg King promotions saw some future world champions fight there and still have a couple of programmes.
    My old boss was married to Dave Needhams sister so he used to get us tickets. I got Joe Lewis autograph when he came as a guest.
    Happy times.

Quote Originally Posted by i961pie View Post
    I used to go to the Reg King promotions saw some future world champions fight there and still have a couple of programmes.
    My old boss was married to Dave Needhams sister so he used to get us tickets. I got Joe Lewis autograph when he came as a guest.
    Happy times.
    Not doing a 'Sid' but it was Joe Louis i961pie ..... the Brown Bomber. I got freebie tickets for the ice stadium from the uncle of Johnny Pritchett who was the middle weight champ from Bingham. Very good fighter with stats of 34 - 32 - 1 -1 his last fight being his only defeat by way of disqualification after which he was so disgusted he never fought again. I think this was before Dave Needham came to prominence and who could also scrap a bit. Later I used to go with Cedric Ford who you may remember was a huge 'Pie. The last time I saw Cedric was at John Mountenay's funeral and that must be 6 'ish years ago and I don't know if he's still around. Happy days of women, sport and drink!!!

Not doing a 'Sid' but it was Joe Louis i961pie ..... the Brown Bomber. I got freebie tickets for the ice stadium from the uncle of Johnny Pritchett who was the middle weight champ from Bingham. Very good fighter with stats of 34 - 32 - 1 -1 his last fight being his only defeat by way of disqualification after which he was so disgusted he never fought again. I think this was before Dave Needham came to prominence and who could also scrap a bit. Later I used to go with Cedric Ford who you may remember was a huge 'Pie. The last time I saw Cedric was at John Mountenay's funeral and that must be 6 'ish years ago and I don't know if he's still around. Happy days of women, sport and drink!!!
    Joe Louis it was, my error. Johnny Pritchett was Dave Needhams manager after he retired. I can remember him fighting our other Nottingham fighter Wally Swift and won a close decision on points, he also beat him in a earlier fight on a TKO both at the ice rink.
    His last fight was for the European title.
    Last edited by SwalePie; 09-04-2020 at 05:25 PM. Reason: Fixed quote code error