+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: O/T:- Boris in ITU

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post

There was also a medic on the telly the other day advancing the theory that the amount of infected droplets you ingest can directly affect the severity of the condition, which sounds logical and might also explain the wide variation in the experiences of different people within similar age groups, but the truth is the medical profession are still learning about the illness as they go along.
    Yes it's called viral load and it's the most plausible explanation as to why so many health workers die from the virus - they get exposed to it all day every day.

It's also the reason why the UK authorities will probably end up ordering people to cover their mouth and nose (with any kind of covering) every time they go out.

As a Labour supporter and towards the left, I've been annoyed at the Labour mayor and councillor who one said he deserved it and one said it was a publicity stunt. People like that do give the left a bad name and it does annoy me how some purported caring people only use it to cover people they like. It just gives fuel to the right and gets us further away from a caring society. Not on and we don't all think like that.

Have a good bank holiday weekend everyone and don't be a covidiot ha ha.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    Apart from replacing the word 'Colossus' with '****', we would be in agreement.
    As I keep saying EP we all have an opinion but I'll take your sentence as being in the context of good old fashioned male humour as opposed to being in the language of loutish ignorance. Your memory is not constant old lad ...... remember we are both Lackeys (your words) and although we have both accumulated 'comfortable' wealth via the private sector we as Lackeys must acknowledge Boris will be our leader for many years to come and as such give opportunities for all Lackeys to progress, given they have the ambition and determination to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by drillerpie View Post
    Yes it's called viral load and it's the most plausible explanation as to why so many health workers die from the virus - they get exposed to it all day every day.

It's also the reason why the UK authorities will probably end up ordering people to cover their mouth and nose (with any kind of covering) every time they go out.
    It sounds reasonable to me that if you get a higher dose of something then the effect is likely to be greater. On the other hand, I read that doctors studying the outbreak in Lombardy compared the nasal swabs of people who had symptoms and people who did not, but found no difference in viral load between the two groups.

I'm not sure that the UK authorities will go as far as ordering people to wear masks, but time will tell. I suspect that a lot of the people who already wear masks are doing so on the premise of protecting themselves from breathing in droplets exhaled by others, but I've heard interviews where experts who say that the primary purpose of the mask is to prevent droplets travelling outwards rather than inwards.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    It sounds reasonable to me that if you get a higher dose of something then the effect is likely to be greater. On the other hand, I read that doctors studying the outbreak in Lombardy compared the nasal swabs of people who had symptoms and people who did not, but found no difference in viral load between the two groups.

I'm not sure that the UK authorities will go as far as ordering people to wear masks, but time will tell. I suspect that a lot of the people who already wear masks are doing so on the premise of protecting themselves from breathing in droplets exhaled by others, but I've heard interviews where experts who say that the primary purpose of the mask is to prevent droplets travelling outwards rather than inwards.
    About the viral load I don't know about the study in Lombardy to be honest, I'd need to have a flick through it to be able to comment.

I hope all governments enforce mouth and nose coverings. It's cheap, simple and effective. If everyone makes even a simple homemade mask then the outgoing droplets are reduced, the incoming droplets are reduced, so even if you do catch it, you catch it with a low viral load.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456