+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: People with bookshelves.

People with bookshelves.

I’ve noted with interest during the Covid crisis and with many interviews being done from politicians houses and from the homes of the many “talking heads” that nearly all of them have bookshelves behind them.

I wonder if there’s a bit of a pose element to this......the need to look intellectual!?

I wonder how many of these books have actually been read or if the old ****o mags are hidden behind?

I don’t have bookshelves and never have done......read a book then bin it. A good book sticks in the mind so why stick it on a shelf to gather dust.

It was refreshing to see on late night SKY News that regular contributor and absolute strumpet Carole Malone has a glossy kitchen and no sign of a book.

Too busy being bent double over the expensive granite worktops to have time to read.

Bookshelves.......who needs them?

I’d rather share a house with Carole 😏

https://images.app.goo.gl/9CY2AVRZqQZfBesv8

Quite nice mick wouldn't mind being her buck...

i must admit that I like books and I never throw them away, I have a cupboard, or more, full of them. I would have bookshelves but there's nowhere to conveniently put them; also my wife hates bookshelves......!

I love reading and all always have a book or two on the go. At the moment I am sitting in a room that is jam packed with the things. I get most of mine through my Literary Agent (Charity Shop). It got to the stage where the bookcases were full and they were stored everywhere. I am by nature a hoarder but something had to be done. Difficult though it may be I have had to bite the bullet and get rid of of a lot of them. Nevertheless I would still like another bookcase.

Love our bookcases. Mostly full of reference books. Got a DK guide and maps for most places we've been, atlases, history sport (how could I not keep my Topical Times or Charlie Buchan annuals?) and loads of gardening books and mags.

Wife has shelves of art, dressmaking and other craft books.

Very few novels and now always read on a Kindle.

Most referred to book Tony Mathews History of West Bromwich Albion

I keep books but only the good ones the rest i take to charity shops. Most of my books are historical, or old photos of the local area, or tree, animal or bird guides.
    We have a large concrete shed / store room and put them in large lidded plastic containers with the gel to stop them going damp.
    I have lots of things in that shed, tools, things i have found out walking, things no longer used. I spend quite a bit of time in there, especially now there is nowhere to go.
    I keep my bush hat in there and have ordered some tobacco for my pipe.

I've got a built in bookshelf with around 200 books in it. On one row I've got travel books, a big Times Atlas and travel biographies etc. Next row I've sport related books then biographies, autobiographies, then history and literature on the shelf below and then a mixed bag on the bottom shelf. I've read about 60% of them although that will change in the coming weeks I feel. Still got a few Albion books to read, That 3 Degrees book, Willie J's autobiography and Ally Rob's so maybe they should be top of the pile.

I haven't got any football books, i like to watch a game for recreation but have no interest reading about it or players lives.

'I have just popped upstairs and counted 11 books on the history of the Albion. My very first book was West Bromwich Albion - Soccer in the Black Country 1879 -1965 by Peter Morris. I have always treated it as special. In whittling down the number of my books I have been trying to concentrate on fiction (not everything) as I know I will never read it again. I strongly resist getting rid of non-fiction if I can help it.

What are you reading at the moment? I am into Eavesdropping on Jane Austen’s England (Fascinating reading about life in late C18 and early C19 England. I am also reading a book written by a miller’s son in 1901. The farm was near where I grew up and it is fascinating reading just what the area was once like.

I'm reading 'The Sealwoman's Gift' by Sally Magnusson.

Unlikely as it sounds it's a novel based on a true story about Turkish Pirates in the 17th Century raiding Iceland to take slaves back to Africa. Fascinating bit of history I knew nothing about with some interesting dilemnas for the characters.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)