+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: S'land till I cry

Quote Originally Posted by KemptownMag View Post
    My daughter had seen the first episodes before I did and told me that Methven was David Brent Mark 2.
    She wasn't wrong.
    That scene where he is explaining his idea to change the music as the teams walk out and encourage an "Ibiza Rave" atmosphere was hilarious.
    You could see the thought bubbles coming out of the rest of the "PR Team" - "This bloke's a complete f***in' d***head" - while nodding and trying not to cry!
    Kemptown, I was gonna say that the gif I posted of Gervais reminded me of a character he played that Methken is dangerously similar to!

The Ibiza rave is a good example. Another is when he's trying to get the attendance number at half time and flips out at his "assistant". Comes across as someone who's trying to be the intelligent boss, but who's basically just a disrespectful plonker.

[QUOTE=HughieG;39472300]Your review is spot on, Mick. Not a lot of likeable characters in that series.

I hiss at the screen every time that little sh!t Cattermole comes on, detestable little pr!ck.

Just finished season 2 yesterday. That club is in very sorry state at the moment. I dont know is it pity or what but I didnt laugh as much as I did in first season. New management was out of touch.

Quote Originally Posted by liikape View Post
    Just finished season 2 yesterday. That club is in very sorry state at the moment. I dont know is it pity or what but I didnt laugh as much as I did in first season. New management was out of touch.
    I don't know if it because of us not being Geordie, but maybe seeing as we didn't grow up with the rivalry so intense as Newcastle natives, what we see in the series is a club in a working-class city with passionate fans that are in pain. So in that sense, I agree with you.

However, Sunderland will get promoted eventually. They would most likely enjoy seeing us down there with them being in the Premier League, so I don't feel that bad about it. Football means a lot to them though, and that's always special to see.

I'll give them this; for me, Sunderland deserve better than the owners + directors they have now (or had in Season 2 of the series, don't know if they've left the club or what). I agree with you liikape; they were out of touch and simply not likeable.

And though he seems like a nice chap, the manager didn't seem to have it about him to get them promoted.

Its always good to laugh at the tramps down the road but we should all be careful. We still have Ashley as owner. I fear for the club if this takeover doesn't go through. There is not a chance in hell Ashley is going to pay out of his own pocket to see us through this Coronavirus crisis.
    The tramps situation could well be us soon.

Agreed G1974, it's not that it couldn't happen to us.

Quote Originally Posted by HughieG View Post
    Kemptown, I was gonna say that the gif I posted of Gervais reminded me of a character he played that Methken is dangerously similar to!

The Ibiza rave is a good example. Another is when he's trying to get the attendance number at half time and flips out at his "assistant". Comes across as someone who's trying to be the intelligent boss, but who's basically just a disrespectful plonker.
    Another bit I loved - he has been telling everyone how he has always been a big football fan, then when the fans are singing "Sunlun' till I die" he turn round to his assistant and asks what they are singing.
    Reminds me of that bloke in the Fast Show at the game with his picnic basket.
    I am expecting him to clench his fist and shout out "Soccer" soon.

Laughed a few times. Especially when one of their supporters reckoned getting to the checkatrade final put them on the world map. Also I think the chant was "We are the greatest football team the world has ever seen" and the Uruguayan guy (forgot his name) asked Methven what they were singing and when he was told you can hear him choking a laugh back.
    Mind you I did have some empathy, but no sympathy, when after the play off final some woman turned to her husband with tears in her eyes and said "why is it never us celebrating? Why is it never us?". I have had that feeling myself at wembley

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)