+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Summat else to watch (Setdi(

I'm probably just pragmatic when it comes to football.In my time like yourself I've seen Barnsley promoted and relegated with the Denis family the Cryne era and now the overseas owners.Do I think they all did there best to avoid relegation ,I'm sure they did but unfortunately 3 teams go up and down in our league every season.
    We went the route of signing young players and it looks like this method could fail.Luton went the route of buying loads of experienced players and it looks like it could fail.Charlton have shot themselves in the foot with expensive loanees and board room scuffles leaving them highly likely to go down with loads of debt.
    To me it looks like the 3 that went up could be the 3 that goes down.all 3 clubs tried different approaches and all 3 have possibly failed.
    For me theres 2 ways to make things more equal.1 we either join the cheats who are financially ruining the Championship or the football league punish the teams like Wednesday,Reading,Birmingham and Derby for example.
    Theres an old saying "cheats never beat" lets hope the FL see that and make the Championship a more level playing field.

Quote Originally Posted by bill46 View Post
    I'm probably just pragmatic when it comes to football.In my time like yourself I've seen Barnsley promoted and relegated with the Denis family the Cryne era and now the overseas owners.Do I think they all did there best to avoid relegation ,I'm sure they did but unfortunately 3 teams go up and down in our league every season.
    We went the route of signing young players and it looks like this method could fail.Luton went the route of buying loads of experienced players and it looks like it could fail.Charlton have shot themselves in the foot with expensive loanees and board room scuffles leaving them highly likely to go down with loads of debt.
    To me it looks like the 3 that went up could be the 3 that goes down.all 3 clubs tried different approaches and all 3 have possibly failed.
    For me theres 2 ways to make things more equal.1 we either join the cheats who are financially ruining the Championship or the football league punish the teams like Wednesday,Reading,Birmingham and Derby for example.
    Theres an old saying "cheats never beat" lets hope the FL see that and make the Championship a more level playing field.
    With the Denis family we benefiited as a club just look what was spent on the ground
    With the Cryne era I think he had one eye on football & the other on his bank account
    With the new owners I think they have one eye on personal gain & the other eye on personal gain
    That's how I see the last 25 years

Denis got more stick, on pitch demos,rumours about him buying new lorries.Ground developments were paid for by player sales.Thats how football clubs work not by spending money they don't have to reach the premership like some other clubs.I was reading this morning that Readings wage bill was 44 million there income was 18 million.Do you agree that's no way to run a club.

Quote Originally Posted by bill46 View Post
    You've missed the point of the discussion .Doolali said in reply to Pass that the good times (regarding promotion) wouldn't happen again with these "rsoles" running the club,I politely reminded him that we got automatic promotion under these rsoles last season.It wasn't point scoring,it wasn't to cause argument it was just to remind him his statement was wrong.
    A total pointless promotion if you have no intention of staying in the championship which its now proving with the summer signings,surely they couldn't be that naive to think these young uns would keep us there. The clubs going nowhere they loose millions getting relegated and then cut their losses by selling any player that command a decent fee it's a never ending roundabout,if you can call the promotion a success sorry I don't

Quote Originally Posted by DOOALI View Post
    A total pointless promotion if you have no intention of staying in the championship which its now proving with the summer signings,surely they couldn't be that naive to think these young uns would keep us there. The clubs going nowhere they loose millions getting relegated and then cut their losses by selling any player that command a decent fee it's a never ending roundabout,if you can call the promotion a success sorry I don't
    So do you think it was pointless also for Luton and Charlton.No matter what we think the Championship is infested with maniacs who cheat and spend money they can't afford chasing the Premiership dream who eventually will leave the clubs debt ridden and hopefully points deducted.Thats why pretty much why for the past few seasons clubs are finding it extremely hard to compete and you're getting a bit of a yo yo effect.

Teams like Sheff Utd, Watford, Bournemouth, Burnley, Wolves, Brentford, Preston,etc all tend to have one thing in common. They retain their better players and gradually add two or three improvements each year. They gradually improve without massive spending. They do not sell their best players and start a season with a totally different inexperienced squad putting potential profit before football progress.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12