Thank you to Vlad for sharing this story with me a few days ago......wasn't sure what to do with it, but here goes:

As of 19 March 2020, COVID-19 is no longer considered to be a high consequence infectious diseases (HCID) in the UK.

The 4 nations public health HCID group made an interim recommendation in January 2020 to classify COVID-19 as an HCID. This was based on consideration of the UK HCID criteria about the virus and the disease with information available during the early stages of the outbreak. Now that more is known about COVID-19, the public health bodies in the UK have reviewed the most up to date information about COVID-19 against the UK HCID criteria. They have determined that several features have now changed; in particular, more information is available about mortality rates (low overall), and there is now greater clinical awareness and a specific and sensitive laboratory test, the availability of which continues to increase.

The Advisory Committee on Dangerous Pathogens (ACDP) is also of the opinion that COVID-19 should no longer be classified as an HCID.

In Tarquin-speak: originally they were really, really worried about Covid19....but now it's not killing as many as they thought, plus they fully understand it's method of spreading etc etc....it's now just a "normal disease", like normal flu?....is that what I'm reading here?

The actual definition of a HCID is:
In the UK, a high consequence infectious disease (HCID) is defined according to the following criteria:

acute infectious disease
typically has a high case-fatality rate
may not have effective prophylaxis or treatment
often difficult to recognise and detect rapidly
ability to spread in the community and within healthcare settings
requires an enhanced individual, population and system response to ensure it is managed effectively, efficiently and safe.

Diseases like SARS, Ebola and 4 of the bird flus are still on the HCID list.....so I'm guessing if Covid19 becomes even more deadly, it might get reclassified onto the list.

Please don't shoot the messenger....this is for discussion only, we all know to stay at home and keep the NHS safe.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/high-con...-diseases-hcid