+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Who Am I Quiz (No 27)

Joe Mercer
    Graham Shaw ( Sheffield United )
    Last edited by Ericsladkilnhurst; 09-04-2020 at 12:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by millersrus View Post
    Brian talbot
    Winner.

I am Brian Talbot

I played and managed at a high level. Played at Ipswich/Arsenal and managed WBA

I did something nobody else had done for over 100 years. Won 2 FA Cup Winners medals in consecutive years with different clubs. Ipswich(1978), Arsenal (1979)

I definitely wasn't a 'sick note'. Played in all 70 games of Arsenal's 1978/9 season. Overall for them played 327 games in 6 seasons.

My longest managerial stint has a tentative connection with a long running TV series. Doc Martin. Managed 7 years at Rushden & Diamonds who were owned by Max Griggs, owner of Dr. Martens

Surprisingly I made just a handful of appearances for my country. 6 caps for England.

I wasn't prolific but I chipped in with quite a few goals, some important ones. Including FA Cup Semi Final and FA Cup Final goals.

A couple of teams I managed didn't seem to have much luck. Aldershot were expelled from the Football League shortly after I left them. After I left Rushden & Diamonds they struggled and eventually folded completely

I won one of my medals in a great game that featured 3 South Yorkshire lads (4 if you count the subs) 1979 FA Cup Final. Alan Sunderland (Conisborough), Graham Rix (Doncaster), Greenhoff brothers (Barnsley)

Unpublished clues

I was involved in a very bloody scene. Scoring the 1st goal in Ipswich's 3-1 FA Cup semi final win over WBA clashing heads with John Wyle https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5L-3UsXcsQ

It would be easy to think Bob Hoskins was a front man for my fan club. He fronted the "It's good to talk" ad campaign for BT

I went for a normal handful of 5 caps for England Cam, so did Talbot have 5 fingers & 1 thumb on one hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Ericsladkilnhurst View Post
    I went for a normal handful of 5 caps for England Cam, so did Talbot have 5 fingers & 1 thumb on one hand.
    I was going to put a Barnsley handful but knew that would give it away as 6 and knowing that it's very easy to find him via Google

Remember this?

No. What is that GF?

Quote Originally Posted by CAMiller View Post
    No. What is that GF?
    Eighties Coventry City kit.

Ah! I'd forgotten about the Chrysler/Talbot motor connections around Coventry.

Name:  _82_20Talbot_20Alpine_large.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  10.8 KB

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123