+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: O/T Been cleaning out the garage and it's amazing the things I've come cross.

O/T Been cleaning out the garage and it's amazing the things I've come cross.

Old paperwork and in particular old wage slips for different times in my working life. 3.2.1990 working at Silverwood Colliery as a Heading worker underground, my weekly wage drawn after stoppages, was £192.95. This composed of a payment for working night shifts, £2.50! My bonus was £88.05, yes we had targets to reach and if you didn't your basic pay was £183.25 before stoppages. On reflection, it was a dirty dangerous job, if you didn't watch yourself and many miles underground depending where you worked at the time.

Fast forward to 1998 and at the time I was a Deputy Manager for Dixons Stores Group on Fargate, Sheffield. I later became Manager of the store. My weekly wage on 12.12.1998 was £189.95. Not even the same wage but a further 8 years on.

Also came across some old photos and it's amazing how when you see the black and white photo's, you can recall what colour the top you was wearing, I kid you not.

I've harboured some crap in the garage over the years but the good lady said it was time to let it go. A very big trip to the tip tomorrow is awaiting.

Anyone else been clearing their loft or garage out and come across strange things?
    Last edited by CAMiller; 08-04-2020 at 11:28 PM. Reason: Dangling title

Yup

Found 3 Face masks !

However there must be 2 or 3 skips worth of cr@p

Quote Originally Posted by BramleyMiller58 View Post
    Yup

Found 3 Face masks !

However there must be 2 or 3 skips worth of cr@p
    .....also found many NCB tools and jackets, wonder how I ended up with them? One item I came across was my old ear protectors, as I use to drive a LH1300 heading Machine, a beast of a machine. It brought it all back Boy I miss the mining life and the lads!
    Many have passed now including some of my immediate family who use to work at Silverwood.

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post
    Old paperwork and in particular old wage slips for different times in my working life. 3.2.1990 working at Silverwood Colliery as a Heading worker underground, my weekly wage drawn after stoppages, was £192.95. This composed of a payment for working night shifts, £2.50! My bonus was £88.05, yes we had targets to reach and if you didn't your basic pay was £183.25 before stoppages. On reflection, it was a dirty dangerous job, if you didn't watch yourself and many miles underground depending where you worked at the time.

Fast forward to 1998 and at the time I was a Deputy Manager for Dixons Stores Group on Fargate, Sheffield. I later became Manager of the store. My weekly wage on 12.12.1998 was £189.95. Not even the same wage but a further 8 years on.

Also came across some old photos and it's amazing how when you see the black and white photo's, you can recall what colour the top you was wearing, I kid you not.

I've harboured some crap in the garage over the years but the good lady said it was time to let it go. A very big trip to the tip tomorrow is awaiting.

Anyone else been clearing their loft or garage out and come across strange things?
    Used to keep all my paper payslips Brin but decided to prune them down when everything went all online. Still have one from my first full time job where I took home under £300 for a full month's work. Mind you, monthly rent at the time was around £100 for a 3 bed house split 3 ways.

Cleared out the garage a couple of years ago, sold a lot of stuff (110V tools anticipating the move back, vinyl records, tiles) and tossed a lot of stuff including a couple of hundred Millers programmes, old uni text books.

Not really come across strange things, unless you count photos of me in 1970s/80s 'fashion'. Still have those velvet jackets because I know one day....

Bought my first blue velvet jacket from Ray Davis’, the shop was converted from the Old College Inn on Effingham Street next to Woolworths.

Also got my first bomber jacket from then, green in colour, but took it back after a week because the dye ran out of it when it rained on me

Think twice before throwing stuff like that away Brin. Especially things that don't take up much room. To this day, I'm still looking for stuff I had back in England nearly 20 years ago, hoping I didn't throw it in the skip.

Are the tips open Brin? I've been piling stuff up thinking they would be closed.

Quote Originally Posted by Shark27 View Post
    Are the tips open Brin? I've been piling stuff up thinking they would be closed.
    No pal. So it's a non starter for me today. I've phoned the Council offices this morning and a nice lady informed me that because idiots, weren't adhering to social distancing, ie; only allowing the public on the ramps to the skips one at a time, they have had to close all tips in the local borough area. Why are some people so thick? They've now spoilt it for the rest of us sensible folk.

A future bit of info for you, if you use Carr House hill tip at Greasborough, it closes on Weds so don't make the same mistake I made once.
    The one at Warren Vale closes Tuesdays. Not sure about Bramley.

Should imagine there's rubbish piling up in a lot of households. If you've got an immense amount of rubbish, why not ask your neighbours, from a distance , if they want to chip in and share a large skip? I've been using KCM skips for my recent soil/rubbish removal.

An 8 tonne skip plus VAT is £246 for the first one, as you have to include in that a £30 council charge if the skip is to left on a street or verge. There is no charge if you leave it on your drive. The council permit lasts for 14 days if you are to have more than one skip for any other use.

Trust this helps.
    Last edited by Brin; 09-04-2020 at 09:50 AM.

No pal. So it's a non starter for me today. I've phoned the Council offices this morning and a nice lady informed me that because idiots, weren't adhering to social distancing, ie; only allowing the public on the ramps to the skips one at a time, they have had to close all tips in the local borough area. Why are some people so thick? They've now spoilt it for the rest of us sensible folk.

A future bit of info for you, if you use Carr House hill tip at Greasborough, it closes on Weds so don't make the same mistake I made once.
    The one at Warren Vale closes Tuesdays. Not sure about Bramley.

Should imagine there's rubbish piling up in a lot of households. If you've got an immense amount of rubbish, why not ask your neighbours, from a distance , if they want to chip in and share a large skip? I've been using KCM skips for my recent soil/rubbish removal.

An 8 tonne skip plus VAT is £246 for the first one, as you have to include in that a £30 council charge if the skip is to left on a street or verge. There is no charge if you leave it on your drive. The council permit lasts for 14 days if you are to have more than one skip for nay other use.

Trust this helps.
    Cheers Brin

£198 per week. Some would be happy to be on that today. Shows what closing proper industries replacing it with services has done to our town.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast