+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Captain Tom

Captain Tom

Now raised over 14 million!!
    Sir, you are a real hero. As a former member of the NHS team and one who has latterly received the highest quality of care when having my life-saving treatment I send you my heartfelt thanks!
    Forget the politicians you shame them with your sincerity and true love of your fellow man.
    What a star.

Quote Originally Posted by macstheman View Post
    Now raised over 14 million!!
    Sir, you are a real hero. As a former member of the NHS team and one who has latterly received the highest quality of care when having my life-saving treatment I send you my heartfelt thanks!
    Forget the politicians you shame them with your sincerity and true love of your fellow man.
    What a star.
    Well put, mac. As you say...a ‘star’, and as such a shining example to us all.

If anyone out there deserves a Knighthood, surely, it has to be Captain Tom.

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    If anyone out there deserves a Knighthood, surely, it has to be Captain Tom.
    Indeed, totally agree. Would have been even better if he’d been called Major Tom though.

Or, Major Charles as he is winning millions to help fight coughing....

This is going to potentially be a very unpopular post to those who can’t/don’t think, so I’ll preface it with...Capt.Tom is a very fine human being who has set a brilliant example to the rest of us via his fantastic achievement in raising so much money for NHS Charities.

He has in turn been particularly magnanimous in his praise for the ‘Great British Public’...but, are the GBP as deserving of the accolades as Capt. Tom suggests?

I note from the ‘Just Giving’ site that Capt.Tom has in the region of 977,000 ‘supporters’, which I imagine means ‘backers/contributors’.

What that actually means is, I think, that slightly less than 1m have contributed to a sum that has just hit £20,000,000.

The population of the UK is approximately 66m. Obviously a significant proportion are children and infants, others will be genuinely poor and there will be other genuine ‘excuses’, but what does it really tell us about the Great British Public when 66,000,000 consider it an amazing achievement to raise £20m?

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    This is going to potentially be a very unpopular post to those who can’t/don’t think, so I’ll preface it with...Capt.Tom is a very fine human being who has set a brilliant example to the rest of us via his fantastic achievement in raising so much money for NHS Charities.

He has in turn been particularly magnanimous in his praise for the ‘Great British Public’...but, are the GBP as deserving of the accolades as Capt. Tom suggests?

I note from the ‘Just Giving’ site that Capt.Tom has in the region of 977,000 ‘supporters’, which I imagine means ‘backers/contributors’.

What that actually means is, I think, that slightly less than 1m have contributed to a sum that has just hit £20,000,000.

The population of the UK is approximately 66m. Obviously a significant proportion are children and infants, others will be genuinely poor and there will be other genuine ‘excuses’, but what does it really tell us about the Great British Public when 66,000,000 consider it an amazing achievement to raise £20m?
    Actually RA it's an unbelievable achievement, it tells us that the Great British Public are yet again brilliant for donating all this cash to the NHS!
    It's OK saying when 66,000,000 consider it an amazing achievement to raise £20m, but not everyone wants to donate just to the NHS! Me for one!
    We must remember there are about 166,000 charities in the UK, with a total annual turnover of just under £48bn. That in IMO is an absolutely fantastic achievement! Great British Public, take a bow!!!

Agreed a fantastic effort by UK and doubly so if Major Tom does it again in place of Red Nose Day, which perpetually makes me feel LESS charitable.

I've not given to Major Tom, I stick to my longstanding charity (types) and consider it more important now than ever to patronise them

Here's an idea.

When you consider ****ers like Phillip Green gets a knighthood, for being a greedy slimey toad. Why not strip that robbing **** of his and give it to Tom?

Quote Originally Posted by Trickytreesreds View Post
    Here's an idea.

When you consider ****ers like Phillip Green gets a knighthood, for being a greedy slimey toad. Why not strip that robbing **** of his and give it to Tom?
    om deserves his own, not a hand me down from some tosser.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)