+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 56 of 101 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T Coronavirus Thread (3)

Quote Originally Posted by KerrAvon View Post
    I don’t think New Zealand will tell us much given its low population density and relatively isolated nature.
    Comparing a countries overall population density is a rather crude and meaningless metric.

Friends I have from New Zealand have balked at the stereotype. As though they're all living remotely and tending to their sheep. In reality countries like Iceland, Australia, NZ, etc have the vast majority of their populations living in urban areas.

83.4% in the UK
    86.5% in the New Zealand
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urbanization_by_country

Quote Originally Posted by great_fire View Post
    I think there's a possibility that Johnson having had it will make him scared to relax the lockdown and we'll be in one longer than any other country meaning the economy will be damaged more than any other country.
    Maybe if he was the only one with a voice but the reality is he isn't .

Besides all that a huge number of the public will not be willing to leave their homes until they feel safe and we are someway from that .

Quote Originally Posted by John2 View Post
    Comparing a countries overall population density is a rather crude and meaningless metric.

Friends I have from New Zealand have balked at the stereotype. As though they're all living remotely and tending to their sheep. In reality countries like Iceland, Australia, NZ, etc have the vast majority of their populations living in urban areas.

83.4% in the UK
    86.5% in the New Zealand
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urbanization_by_country
    I would agree that it is crude, but to suggest that it is meaningless is wrong.

If you want an example of a crude and meaningless metric, look no further than the one that you have put up. To talk about ‘urban areas’ without talking about the overall size and population density within those areas is just plain silly. Or are you suggesting that Auckland – population 417k and Christchurch (382k ) are comparable with London (8.98m) and Birmingham (1.08m) and are likely to pose similar disease control questions?

Quote Originally Posted by Exiletyke View Post
    When you qualify to become a lawyer you must surely receive a diploma/certificate /document of some sort [you know the one you place usually framed strategically in your office] so tell us all what it's called so as to avoid any confusion
    What you get depends upon what route you take, I believe. Some lawyers have their practicing certificates on display (I think it may have been a requirement years ago), but I haven’t seen many recently.

If you want an example of a crude and meaningless metric, look no further than the one that you have put up. To talk about ‘urban areas’ without talking about the overall size and population density within those areas is just plain silly. Or are you suggesting that Auckland – population 417k and Christchurch (382k ) are comparable with London (8.98m) and Birmingham (1.08m) and are likely to pose similar disease control questions?
    Or to put it another way, are you suggesting that Auckland with a population density of 1,210 people per square kilometre is comparable with London at 4,542 inhabitants per square kilometre for disease control purposes?

I'd say urban areas in developed countries offer a more meaningful comparison than you're giving credit for.

Shops and offices, and property etc have building codes designed around human capacity. Humans are remarkably consistent. You go into an office in any developed city in the world and you'd probably not see a massive difference in the density. Same with supermarkets, etc.

You may get some bigger differences depending on the nature of the public transportation, and number if people you come into contact with.

Certainly not meaningless though, unlike overall population density. More densely populated cities just tend to build 'up' so that each person can have the space a human needs.

Or to put it another way, are you suggesting that Auckland with a population density of 1,210 people per square kilometre is comparable with London at 4,542 inhabitants per square kilometre for disease control purposes?
    I'd be interested to know the average number of stories of a building in London vs Auckland rather than comparing just this figure.

What you get depends upon what route you take, I believe. Some lawyers have their practicing certificates on display (I think it may have been a requirement years ago), but I haven’t seen many recently.
    Stalling for time are we?
    "I believe" is more than a bit vague is it not
    OK tell us what yours is called

The contact tracing app which is getting trialled on the Isle Of Wight this week seems to be a significant step forward , not a solution but a very good containment model if it succeeds .

The question regarding the relaxation of the lockdown is a very difficult decision to say the least .

Have we got this thing under control ?

No we haven't .

Will there be anything to go back to if this carries on as we stand today ?

I'd suspect its unsustainable for too much longer .

It's one thing for the company I work for to survive but if some of our key suppliers don't then we are massively fecked .

Getting back to normal ?

There won't be a normal just a new normal and its open to debate what that will look like .

Quote Originally Posted by Exiletyke View Post
    I don't recall anyone purporting to have professional qualifications in football on here,do you?
    Besides it's not illegal even if they did did but it is illegal to pass yourself off as being a Doctor or a Lawyer
    There's a lot of people who talk like theyre football professionals.
    No problem with that.
    I'm not aware that there is a prerequisite of this message board to have and prove professional qualifications to make comment on certain subjects.
    Again, why the witch hunt.
    Chill out the sun's shining....again

Page 56 of 101 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866 ... LastLast