+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Season Ended.

Quote Originally Posted by the_anticlough View Post
    That's a very unlikely scenario.

There's nothing more damaging to 'the integrity of the league' than scrubbing a season that is 80% complete.
    I agree with those that say the NL is going to look very foolish when play with fans resumes well beyond August 2020.
    It looks like the Bundesliga will restart this season's play behind closed doors in May, and the Premiership could very well follow suit. What will the EFL do then?

It's not inconceivable that the weak and fickle NL will have to reverse its hasty decision.

Which bit was unlikely? Teams losing there squads and having new squads to finish the season next year? Or that an owner chucked money at it and financed promotion?

Quote Originally Posted by Notts78 View Post
    Which bit was unlikely? Teams losing there squads and having new squads to finish the season next year? Or that an owner chucked money at it and financed promotion?
    I don't see an issue. Both are likely to happen, but both can happen at any time in a normal season anyway.

I'll admit that I'm pissed off about the season being cancelled and that it's not entirely the clubs' or league's fault.

They're in a permanent state of being financially strapped. It seems that the driving force behind the cancellation is the timing of end of contract dates and the costs of extending them without any income.

What support have the National League had from the FA or the Government? I don't know, I haven't been following it enough. It would have taken some form of insurance to extend contracts and set up a general transfer embargo...to preserve the clubs in aspic for 3-4 months...

There are problems with what they've done though. Nobody knows what the Premiership or EFL are going to do. And outcomes by votes will inevitably result in some clubs being short-changed in the process (votes are skewed by the vested interests of clubs according to position) and that will stink whether Notts are the beneficiaries or the victims...

But I guess there are bigger concerns in the world right now, so it's almost a 'whatever'

The National League board will meet on Friday to discuss the next steps after deciding to end their regulation season earlier this week.

In addition to discussing whether it is feasible to continue with the play-offs, the board is expected to provide a few options which will determine how teams conclude the campaign.

Clubs will be asked for their views and the National League has said each future decision will be clearly laid before them before any final determination is made.

As it stands, the English Football League (EFL) is still working on the principle of two teams getting promoted - but that will depend on whatever format the National League decides.

The EFL also needs to balance its divisions for next season after Bury's expulsion meant only 23 sides were left competing in League One.

Football in England is suspended indefinitely, with the Premier League and EFL still hoping to play seasons to a conclusion.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/national-league

Quote Originally Posted by Oldstripy View Post
    The National League board will meet on Friday to discuss the next steps after deciding to end their regulation season earlier this week.

In addition to discussing whether it is feasible to continue with the play-offs, the board is expected to provide a few options which will determine how teams conclude the campaign.

Clubs will be asked for their views and the National League has said each future decision will be clearly laid before them before any final determination is made.

As it stands, the English Football League (EFL) is still working on the principle of two teams getting promoted - but that will depend on whatever format the National League decides.

The EFL also needs to balance its divisions for next season after Bury's expulsion meant only 23 sides were left competing in League One.

Football in England is suspended indefinitely, with the Premier League and EFL still hoping to play seasons to a conclusion.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/national-league
    I guess that means that the EFL are working on 2 teams promoted but 1 relegated to get it back to 72 teams. (Would also mean 4 promoted from L2 but only 3 relegated from L1). That would leave the NL a team short though.

If Bury return to say National North then they could promote an extra team from NL North/South to even the numbers up.

What I said on here about 6 months or so ago is ALL teams need to stay within budget if you only get £2k a month do not spend over £2k a month its pretty simple to me but someone said to me "Football doesnt work like that Legs" he/she was right at the time but that has to change now.

Before we talk about play offs etc we need to find out what the EFL are doing as if they say void and nobody gets promoted/relegated then nothing the NL can do, not that I think this will happen just saying it could.

Quote Originally Posted by legs77 View Post
    If Bury return to say National North then they could promote an extra team from NL North/South to even the numbers up.

What I said on here about 6 months or so ago is ALL teams need to stay within budget if you only get £2k a month do not spend over £2k a month its pretty simple to me but someone said to me "Football doesnt work like that Legs" he/she was right at the time but that has to change now.

Before we talk about play offs etc we need to find out what the EFL are doing as if they say void and nobody gets promoted/relegated then nothing the NL can do, not that I think this will happen just saying it could.
    The concept of living within your means does seem to have escape the football world.

We’ve talked about this on here for many years about those clubs including our own that have had financial difficulties. Likewise with what happened at Bury and Bolton. Those who spend recklessly to get promoted or those that go through a boom and bust period and what reward is there for those clubs who are frugal and live within their means? Well it seems now those clubs who have been astute will be best placed to ride this Tsunami and come through the other side relatively intact.

If this doesn’t wake football up to take control of itself and no longer continue the thirst for success at any cost along with things like pandering to excessive wage demands driven by parasitic players agents then the future for many clubs in the lower leagues seems bleak. Maybe that is one positive that will come out of this.

As you say football has to change now in order to survive and continue to be as rich as it is with so many clubs and so much history.

That is why the footballing authorities must now introduce something along the lines of evidence to demonstrate that a club has the financial resources and ability to remain solvent throughout the season before the season starts to be eligible to enter the competition. That was required after ourselves, Bolton and Bury financial meltdowns. It’s certainly required more so after this crisis.

The one saving grace for Notts is thankfully this crisis did not happen this time last year and we now have sensible and astute owners who saved us and will hopefully steer the club through this testing period where we can pick up where we left off some day.
    Last edited by MAD_MAGPIE; 24-04-2020 at 02:47 PM.

I believe the Bury phoenix club has already been accepted into the North West Counties League.

Quote Originally Posted by LilCrazyKim View Post
    I believe the Bury phoenix club has already been accepted into the North West Counties League.
    Good luck to them

The BBC goes through some of the options - How do you solve a problem like the National League"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52414107

Seems to back the idea that Barrow *should* get promoted but I don't think it was a certainty.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast