+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Large firms......

Aha, you've ethically invested in the arms and munitions industry

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    Aha, you've ethically invested in the arms and munitions industry
    No such thing...and absolutely not.

Think adventurous ‘care homes’ and no signs of recovery on the horizon.

Cruise ships

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    Cruise ships
    Yep! Carnival to be exact. When they’re not colliding with each other they’ve now become ‘plague carriers’.
    Got left 76 shares twenty years ago. They have been up to about £42.00 each but the current graph is more representative of what we’d like to see the Coronavirus one do.
    Can’t see that industry recovering any time soon...or my interest in shares.

I've been involved in the insurance of Carnival for many years, one of the more unusual liability insurances in the market. The company carry a very high self insured retention, so probability is they will more affected than their peer group by covid claims. They are big dominant market leaders in a generally flaky sector. If anyone is going to survive it should be them - otherwise Disney, who aren't so dependent on the cruise sector.

The future? I doubt its as bad as you think. Cruise ships have survived Norwalk (norovirus) and ways will be found to give lard arsed yanks the feast of excess they so hanker after

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Yep! Carnival to be exact. When they’re not colliding with each other they’ve now become ‘plague carriers’.
    Got left 76 shares twenty years ago. They have been up to about £42.00 each but the current graph is more representative of what we’d like to see the Coronavirus one do.
    Can’t see that industry recovering any time soon...or my interest in shares.
    I tend to disagree RA, I think that cruising holidays can come back on line far more easily than your flying holidays.

How on earth are they going to sort out safe flying when you're trapped in a tube of people, all in close proximity even if its 25% of capacity?

Whereas cruising, you have much more space, meal times can be more spread out, shows and entrainment can be repeated several times with a smaller audience.

Atm, give me a cruise from Britain to anywhere rather than a flight to anywhere. Ie I'd prefer a cruise around the UK, rather than fly to a week in a luxury hotel in the carribean.

Quote Originally Posted by Trickytreesreds View Post
    (cough)

Rolls Royce 1971

Much as I despise Branson at the moment.
    Not helping Virgin in some form or another will have a massive knock on effect all the way down to RR and their suppilers.
    So what do then Tricky nationalise Virgin Airlines like we did Rolls Royce . Tom Boyer writing in the Financial Times says we shouldn't be helping a company that has been losing money for years ie Thomas Cook

Quote Originally Posted by Ram59 View Post
    I tend to disagree RA, I think that cruising holidays can come back on line far more easily than your flying holidays.

How on earth are they going to sort out safe flying when you're trapped in a tube of people, all in close proximity even if its 25% of capacity?

Whereas cruising, you have much more space, meal times can be more spread out, shows and entrainment can be repeated several times with a smaller audience.

Atm, give me a cruise from Britain to anywhere rather than a flight to anywhere. Ie I'd prefer a cruise around the UK, rather than fly to a week in a luxury hotel in the carribean.
    Take your point Ram, but flights tends to last for between 2-12 hours. Cruises, not that I’ve ever been on one, seem to go on for weeks and are essentially lowish rise apartment and communal living at sea.

Received too much bad publicity of late for me, but I hope you and GP are right.

It only takes a second to contract the virus

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Take your point Ram, but flights tends to last for between 2-12 hours. Cruises, not that I’ve ever been on one, seem to go on for weeks and are essentially lowish rise apartment and communal living at sea.

Received too much bad publicity of late for me, but I hope you and GP are right.
    I've been on 4 cruises, including one where there was a suspected case of norovirus. The ship immediately went into a state of higher safety protocol, but importantly, without to much interference to the enjoyment of our holiday. Bearing in mind, that this was put into action whilst at sea and not a premeditated move organised beforehand, I was quite impressed.

So, I speak from experience and give me a cruise ship over a tin tube anytime, even if the flight was only from Birmingham to East Midlands. By the time your plane has reached the runway, it would be enough to catch this virus.

You ought to try cruising, unless you severely suffer from sea sickness. I think your description of cruising is rather negative, considering you have never been on one. My brief description would be a good quality hotel, with a choice of eateries and entertainment throughout the day and night, visiting different places and countries every day for a length of 3 days up to 4 months.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)