+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: O/T St George's Day

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post
    gru, what about this lot?

George I – Lived 1660 to 1727, Reigned as King of GB and Ireland from 1714 to 1727

George II – Lived 1683 to 1760, Reigned as King of GB and Ireland from 1727 to 1760

George III – Lived 1738 to 1820, Reigned as King of the UK from 1760 to 1820

George IV – Lived 1762 to 1830, Reigned as King of the UK from 1820 to 1830

George V – Lived 1865 to 1936, Reigned as King of GB and Ireland from 1910 to 1936

George VI – Lived 1895 to 1952, Reigned as King of GB and Ireland from 1936 to 1952
    There's a couple of Germans in this list Brin 😂

The origins of thr name George is Greek meaning farmer or earthworker.

Quote Originally Posted by WanChaiMiller View Post
    Good grief...this is a big leap of the imagination.
    Well he certainly didn't fail the opportunity to have a sneer.

St Andrew wasn't Scottish and St Patrick wasn't Irish, did he point that out on their saint's days?

Is he currently on an Ethiopian football football telling them their saint wasn't Ethiopian?

Quote Originally Posted by great_fire View Post
    Well he certainly didn't fail the opportunity to have a sneer.

St Andrew wasn't Scottish and St Patrick wasn't Irish, did he point that out on their saint's days?

Is he currently on an Ethiopian football football telling them their saint wasn't Ethiopian?
    I meant Miller and Washington.

Quote Originally Posted by WanChaiMiller View Post
    I meant Miller and Washington.
    They were both born in British colonies.

Washington was born in 1732 and the USA was created in 1776 so he can't be American.

First U.S. President born in the USA was the eighth President Martin Van Buren.

Quote Originally Posted by Shark27 View Post
    There's a couple of Germans in this list Brin ��
    Actually at the time of posting it I thought there might be but still ran with it. Thanks for informing me.

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post
    Actually at the time of posting it I thought there might be but still ran with it. Thanks for informing me.
    The Prince Regent's dad from Blackadder 3 is one of them I think.

EDIT: No, that was George III and he was born in London, sounded pretty German on Blackadder though.

EDIT 2:
    Historical inaccuracies

Although King George III's dynasty, the House of Hanover, had German roots, the historical King George III was in fact English by birth and upbringing, and would not have had a German accent as depicted in the episode.
    https://blackadder.fandom.com/wiki/King_George_III
    Last edited by great_fire; 23-04-2020 at 05:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by great_fire View Post
    They were both born in British colonies.

Washington was born in 1732 and the USA was created in 1776 so he can't be American.

First U.S. President born in the USA was the eighth President Martin Van Buren.
    But neither were born in England - which is the idea of this challenge.

Surprisingly difficult to come up with famous English Georges. I can offer George Mallory the mountaineer, who tried and failed to conquer Everest in 1924 and author George Eliot - who was a woman..

Patron saints are a catholic phenomena and as England hasn't been a Catholic country since the 16th century then nobody should be surprised that it is sparsely celebrated even before considering whether George was a good candidate for the honour. Personally I celebrate being English every day. I consider myself to be very fortunate indeed to have been born on this island and to continue to enjoy all the benefits it has to offer. A national day where we celebrate being English is something I am all for but following a catholic tradition with a figurehead who has no connection to England is ridiculous and being chastised for not celebrating it even more so.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast