+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: BBG and PP best memories.

BBG and PP best memories.

With the future of football in doubt for the foreseeable and people feeling deprived maybe memories are all we have just at the moment.
    So how about a collection of favourite moments. As a Derby supporter I go back further than some but not as far as others.
    To me PP is vastly more comfortable but nothing like as atmospheric as the old BBG.
    I remember watching the great Derby side of the early seventies, as a spectator rather than as a supporter, and those European nights under lights take some beating, but as a fan...Dean Saunders’ debut against Wimbledon, Ted McMinn ramming in the rebound after a Callaghan penalty miss to beat Arsenal (think that’s right) are right up there.
    At PP...the 5-0 over Forest and the play off semi final defeat over Brighton are obviously amongst the best, but also that match against Sunderland (?) when Wanchope was sent off...best ‘up against it’ atmosphere I’ve experienced at PP.

Additions...and maybe worst moment too?

Worst moment at PP - moving into a flat pack stadium and away from the BBG

I have to say, my memories of the BBG were that it always seemed to be ankle deep mud?
    Yet footballers never moaned about it.
    Some of todays prima donas would have kittens having to play on it.
    Great atmosphere in such a tight ground.

I was just tapping away at the keyboard prepping a similar topic Ramanag, well done.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    With the future of football in doubt for the foreseeable and people feeling deprived maybe memories are all we have just at the moment.
    So how about a collection of favourite moments. As a Derby supporter I go back further than some but not as far as others.
    To me PP is vastly more comfortable but nothing like as atmospheric as the old BBG.
    I remember watching the great Derby side of the early seventies, as a spectator rather than as a supporter, and those European nights under lights take some beating, but as a fan...Dean Saunders’ debut against Wimbledon, Ted McMinn ramming in the rebound after a Callaghan penalty miss to beat Arsenal (think that’s right) are right up there.
    At PP...the 5-0 over Forest and the play off semi final defeat over Brighton are obviously amongst the best, but also that match against Sunderland (?) when Wanchope was sent off...best ‘up against it’ atmosphere I’ve experienced at PP.

Additions...and maybe worst moment too?
    Great football thread RA, something we can enjoy together without getting political.

You've brought up a few memories there. I seem to remember the Wanchope game was against Middlesbrough, but I may be wrong. It was a dull quiet game until the sending off, but the atmosphere afterwards was probably the best I can remember at PP.

I take you back to the sunny Saturday afternoon of 20th September 1969, my ninth attendance at the BBG to watch the mighty Rams. My first game had been v Huddersfield the previous March and during that time Derby were unbeaten for seven months and, due to missing a couple of home games through weddings etc, I'd only ever seen them win. The ground was packed, as those of us with good memories will recall it was the day of Derby's record attendance, 41,826, and my dad RIP and I were packed (and I MEAN packed) into the Normanton end middle. The place stank of fags, beer and strangely womens' perfume, that is until the lady in front of me feinted and she was passed over the heads (sort of) of fans to the St John's folk. There were no doubt many 'careless matches' dropped that day, and if one had made contact with combustible material under our feet the Bradford Fire would just be a footnote in comparison - what WERE we thinking of in those days, a bloody deathtrap.
    My dad, by nature a bit of a soothsayer, had Derby's unbeaten run coming to an end that day (it would have been wise to bet against him, he'd been saying it for weeks), but it was one of Derby's finest hours, the five-nil win barely doing justice to an eleven that just murdered the opposition. I didn't know til a year or so ago that the match was televised, and watching back, three things strike me. Alan Hinton was the bargain of the century, still IMO the best crosser of the ball England has ever produced (thanks Forest), John McGovern still looks like someone dragged out of the crowd to make up the numbers (until he got the ball), and in general that was one HECK of a team.

Happy days

The 2nd playoff semi against Saints my favourite memory, great tension and release! That team gave their all, and I actually couldn't watch when Jay Mac took his penalty. The monsoon helped add to it in a strange way too.

Worst moment was the following season, our final game against Reading. It's the only time I genuinely felt, "these players are taking the piss". The 1st time I ever heard the "you're not fit to wear the shirt" sung with such anger and disdain.

Quote Originally Posted by AdiSalisbury View Post
    The 2nd playoff semi against Saints my favourite memory, great tension and release! That team gave their all, and I actually couldn't watch when Jay Mac took his penalty. The monsoon helped add to it in a strange way too.

Worst moment was the following season, our final game against Reading. It's the only time I genuinely felt, "these players are taking the piss". The 1st time I ever heard the "you're not fit to wear the shirt" sung with such anger and disdain.
    The '84 FA Cup quarter final defeat against Plymouth was one of my worst, the chant 'youre not fit to wear the shirt' hadn't originated at that time, but they weren't!

To complete that story it was against Spurs I believe, Mackay against his old boys. I was at school but it was on a crackly ethereal (illegal) radio that went in and out of reception.

A broken finger meant I could avoid having to play rugby that afternoon. Almost worth breaking the finger for

Quote Originally Posted by Ram59 View Post
    Great football thread RA, something we can enjoy together without getting political.

You've brought up a few memories there. I seem to remember the Wanchope game was against Middlesbrough, but I may be wrong. It was a dull quiet game until the sending off, but the atmosphere afterwards was probably the best I can remember at PP.
    Yep, having said it was a great ‘memory’ - it was but mine obviously isn’t - you’re right...Boro’. Both play in red and white and come from the North East...but the atmosphere in that last twenty minutes or so has never been beaten imo.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)