+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T:- Book recommendations

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

O/T:- Book recommendations

Plenty of spare time at the moment so I've got back into my reading, a few recommendations below for ones I have read recently and were good. If anyone has any recommendations please add.

Don Winslow - The Border
    Like Narcos the novel, very detailed, violent and descriptive.

Blake Crouch - Dark Matter
    Sci-fi thriller from the author of the Wayward Pines books.

Cormac McCarthy - Blood Meridian
    a western but not a typical western, very graphic and violent known as one of the most shocking books ever written.

John Niven - Kill Your Friends
    Like an Indie version of American Psycho.

Daniel Keyes - Flowers for Algernon
    Classic book, one of the only ones I've read twice.

Iain Banks - The Wasp Factory
    Only book I've read without a break.

A few I have downloaded today and will probably read over the next week or so.

Shane Stadler - Exoskeleton
    Similar to 1984 apparently, free on Kindle Unlimited.

Iris Chang - The Rape of Nanking
    About the atrocities against the Chinese by Japanese soldiers in 1937.

Robert Bolano - 2666
    One of the best books of the noughties, nearly a 1,000 pages long.
    Last edited by SwalePie; 28-04-2020 at 11:41 AM.

Good shout, Dusty.
    Can I add another tome that makes a great read AND IT'S BY A TORY MP so it must be good if I recommend a blue boy
    The book is 'The Places In Between' and it's by Rory Stewart. It tells the true story of his trek through Taliban-ridden Afghanistan. This guy has balls of steel to get through this odyssey. His saving of a dog that had been savaged by Afghan villagers is a wonderful but plaintive tale in its own right. Be patient with it; once you get 80 pages in it really takes off.

Quote Originally Posted by sidders View Post
    Good shout, Dusty.
    Can I add another tome that makes a great read AND IT'S BY A TORY MP so it must be good if I recommend a blue boy
    The book is 'The Places In Between' and it's by Rory Stewart. It tells the true story of his trek through Taliban-ridden Afghanistan. This guy has balls of steel to get through this odyssey. His saving of a dog that had been savaged by Afghan villagers is a wonderful but plaintive tale in its own right. Be patient with it; once you get 80 pages in it really takes off.
    I like the sound of this one. Ta!

I've been reading "Killers Of The King". It's the factual account of the arrest, trial and execution of King Charles I and the vengeful chase of the signatories of his death warrant by his son Charles I and the restored parliament. It's written by Charles Spencer, brother of Lady Diana, and at times it reads almost like a thriller. The executions are particularly gruesome and the atmosphere of the mid 17th century is so real you could almost smell Baldrick. It's a highly original style of writing history, not cobwebby at all.

The Path To Power..Margaret Thatcher, top read.

Quote Originally Posted by JoePass View Post
    The Path To Power..Margaret Thatcher, top read.
    Pages stuck together Joe?

Quote Originally Posted by Mapperleypie View Post
    Pages stuck together Joe?
    ����

Quote Originally Posted by TSANHO View Post
    ����
    Not with glue, Tsanho!

Quote Originally Posted by TSANHO View Post
    ����
    This little clip should point you in the right direction TSANHO:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NesjZbF1Ls

Regarding books I have to admit to being mainly a holiday reader, but I would suggest sampling the works of Irvine Welsh. I first read a novel of his called 'Filth', where the 'hero' is a corrupt cop with fewer morals than Donald Trump! His books won't be for everyone because they are frequently written in an Edinburgh dialect, but they are about as graphic as you can get. If you ever want an insight into why some people are attracted by football hooliganism, read 'Marabou Stork Nightmares'. It's probably the weirdest but most enthralling book I've ever read.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    This little clip should point you in the right direction TSANHO:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NesjZbF1Ls

Regarding books I have to admit to being mainly a holiday reader, but I would suggest sampling the works of Irvine Welsh. I first read a novel of his called 'Filth', where the 'hero' is a corrupt cop with fewer morals than Donald Trump! His books won't be for everyone because they are frequently written in an Edinburgh dialect, but they are about as graphic as you can get. If you ever want an insight into why some people are attracted by football hooliganism, read 'Marabou Stork Nightmares'. It's probably the weirdest but most enthralling book I've ever read.
    I should have mentioned that Irvine Welsh is most famous for the film of the same name based on his book 'Trainspotting'.

If you liked the film you'll probably like his other books.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast