+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: On this day -trivia

On this day -trivia

Wounded at Dunkirk and told he'd never play football again.
    Jackie Stamps scored two goals in the 1946 FA Cup Final for Derby County in a 4-1 win against Charlton Athletic.

made them hard as nails then

Went blind in later life, usually attributed to heading the old 'casey'!
    Derby legend!

Quote Originally Posted by macstheman View Post
    Went blind in later life, usually attributed to heading the old 'casey'!
    Derby legend!
    I didn't know that mac.
    It does make you wonder though, when and where football changed?
    it only seems 5 mins ago, you had eleven players and one sub.
    Same side played week in, week out.
    Remember Butcher and his blood covered shirt and head wrapped like a mummy?

Now days, the wind knocks them over and they complain how tired they are all the time.

[QUOTE=Trickytreesreds;39486494]

The answer IMO is the triple whammy of the Bradford fire, The Heysel Disater and, soon after, Hillsborough which gave the authorities the moral justification for telling the game to reform, then TV money which actually gave the game an incentive to do so. I watched Heysel's aftermath live and The Bradford fire rerun uncensored the same afternoon, and had a then-family member thought in the moment to be in the Hillsborough crush (he wasn't) and by the time all that and a few other incidents had transpired I had a bitter feeling about football despite my love for Derby.

[QUOTE=Andy_Faber;39486501]
    Quote Originally Posted by Trickytreesreds View Post

The answer IMO is the triple whammy of the Bradford fire, The Heysel Disater and, soon after, Hillsborough which gave the authorities the moral justification for telling the game to reform, then TV money which actually gave the game an incentive to do so. I watched Heysel's aftermath live and The Bradford fire rerun uncensored the same afternoon, and had a then-family member thought in the moment to be in the Hillsborough crush (he wasn't) and by the time all that and a few other incidents had transpired I had a bitter feeling about football despite my love for Derby.
    Interesting reply Andy and I get that.
    I was more thinking on the lines of the players themselves.
    Tough as old leather, no moaning. Physically take punishment like a SBS trainee.
    Now? Such delicate flowers and no interest in anything a pay cheque isn't covering.

[QUOTE=Trickytreesreds;39486508]
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post

Interesting reply Andy and I get that.
    I was more thinking on the lines of the players themselves.
    Tough as old leather, no moaning. Physically take punishment like a SBS trainee.
    Now? Such delicate flowers and no interest in anything a pay cheque isn't covering.
    Dno the exact answer on that, I've heard it say that teams of today would thrash teams of the 70s through greater athletic fitness if nothing else, but that ignores one thing: Its OK saying Mo Salah would give Norman Hunter the runaround if they ever come head to head, but he'd struggle to do that if he was unfit, kicked to **** by Ron Harris, Peter Storey or any one of a dozen (genuine) hard men the week before

Long, long ago Jack was a regular at the Royal Oak (aka the Sump, a nickname that became the official name a few uears back) on Newton Road, Burton. It was also my local and I worked there part time as well. He would be in 2 or 3 lunchtimes midweek and on Saturday evening. He was a great domino player and had his own braille dominoes. His mind worked brilliantly, when a domino was laid, you would tell Jack what was at each end and he knew, and remembered, which domino had been played. I've seen him knock 3 or 4 times and then play a domino and turn the rest of his face up on the table and say "stop that then". He was right and we couldn't stop him winning that hand.

One midweek lunchtime he said to me "Howard, you're Reg's lad aren't you? (I was mid 20s at the time). I said "yes". He said "your Dad's a Derby fan, what about you"? I confirmed that I was indeed a Rams fan. He then reached inside his jacket pocket and said, have you ever seen one of these? and put something in my hand. It was his FA Cup winner's medal. An emotional moment.

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    Long, long ago Jack was a regular at the Royal Oak (aka the Sump, a nickname that became the official name a few uears back) on Newton Road, Burton. It was also my local and I worked there part time as well. He would be in 2 or 3 lunchtimes midweek and on Saturday evening. He was a great domino player and had his own braille dominoes. His mind worked brilliantly, when a domino was laid, you would tell Jack what was at each end and he knew, and remembered, which domino had been played. I've seen him knock 3 or 4 times and then play a domino and turn the rest of his face up on the table and say "stop that then". He was right and we couldn't stop him winning that hand.

One midweek lunchtime he said to me "Howard, you're Reg's lad aren't you? (I was mid 20s at the time). I said "yes". He said "your Dad's a Derby fan, what about you"? I confirmed that I was indeed a Rams fan. He then reached inside his jacket pocket and said, have you ever seen one of these? and put something in my hand. It was his FA Cup winner's medal. An emotional moment.
    I bet. I've always been in awe of any of the Rams greats, in fact any of those we'd consider 'hall of famers'. Not sure players hang around long enough to become 'hall of famers' these days, Keogh blotted his copybook somewhat, I'd be looking back towards Stimac, then my fave Rob Hindmarch for that sort of adulation

Adulation is always difficult when we've won nothing of significance for the best part of 50 years ☹️. Still it could be worse, we could be Bury fans, although they deserve that fate for the FA Cup final of '02.

I'm still trying to figure out if all my heroes were from the late 60's to mid 70's because we won stuff or because I was of that schoolboy + age where you had heroes. Nowadays as a miserable old git I don't see footballers in anything like the same light. More like overpaid dilettante....

But as Andy said there's no club loyalty any longer, no length of service. If we get a young player who is likely to develop heroic status (sadly this is largely speaking theoretical) they are soon in a PL reserve squad and the bond is broken. Or they were on loan in the first place.

Benefit games on retirement for loyal club players? That seems lost in the past

29. april 1996

Keegan has a strop that wouldn't be out of place in the Brexit thread, :-x

https://www.sportinglife.com/footbal...it-rant/179494

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)