+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Football restarting. . .

Sooooo, anyway.....how much validity will the results have when they're played under these circumstances and restrictions?

If it was just a game or two then maybe but we've got a quarter of the season left. I've heard people bang on about the integrity of the League meaning that the the games have to be completed but, what about looking at it from the opposite point of view?

You could argue that the circumstances under which results would be achieved are so different from the circumstances under which the previous 29 games were played in that actually playing them would lessen the integrity of the League. With no fans, players and officials will react differently, there's no way games will be played at the same intensity-partly because of the lack of crowd, partly because of the lower fitness levels, players will be available after injury who wouldn't otherwise have been able to play, the whole unsettling nature of what we're going through will play on players' minds in different ways...there will be loads of factors which mean we'll get a very different results from those we would have otherwise had under normal circumstances.

The longer this goes on, the more I'm inclined to think 'just sack it off'. No relegation, no Champions and if European competition is going to resume then base it on the final positions as they stand.

Aye, some clubs will miss out but is there a solution to keep everyone happy? I'll bet there isn't and everyone is having to work around this 'new normal' and put up with things that, under normal circumstance, they wouldn't so why should football be any different? And I know it's easier for us to say things like that as we don't really have anything riding on it but that's just the way it is.

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by ronandtet View Post
    right firstly - nowhere in this thread have you said the government has done anything right - secondly i mentioned corbyn and abbott once and abbott once in a quip about her ability to count thirdly tread carefully - don't do a personal attack on me and compare me to your 2 mates I don't it with anyone so don't start with me
    The government has done several thing right albeit later than they could have done.

I am puzzled to know who you refer to as my "two mates" and I would think most moderate posters on here would.

The two you refer to spent more time insulting me than anyone else also continually accusing me of both saying or posting things I hadn't and denying I had posted things I had. And if you remember during one tryst with them I had disproved several things they claimed and I proved them to be liars without insulting them as they had been doing, and was obviously getting the better of both of them and I was banned for it.

Many on here will remember that one.

I think this is best left there so those are my last words on the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippity View Post
    Sooooo, anyway.....how much validity will the results have when they're played under these circumstances and restrictions?

If it was just a game or two then maybe but we've got a quarter of the season left. I've heard people bang on about the integrity of the League meaning that the the games have to be completed but, what about looking at it from the opposite point of view?

You could argue that the circumstances under which results would be achieved are so different from the circumstances under which the previous 29 games were played in that actually playing them would lessen the integrity of the League. With no fans, players and officials will react differently, there's no way games will be played at the same intensity-partly because of the lack of crowd, partly because of the lower fitness levels, players will be available after injury who wouldn't otherwise have been able to play, the whole unsettling nature of what we're going through will play on players' minds in different ways...there will be loads of factors which mean we'll get a very different results from those we would have otherwise had under normal circumstances.

The longer this goes on, the more I'm inclined to think 'just sack it off'. No relegation, no Champions and if European competition is going to resume then base it on the final positions as they stand.

Aye, some clubs will miss out but is there a solution to keep everyone happy? I'll bet there isn't and everyone is having to work around this 'new normal' and put up with things that, under normal circumstance, they wouldn't so why should football be any different? And I know it's easier for us to say things like that as we don't really have anything riding on it but that's just the way it is.

Thoughts?
    It's a difficult one Zip and no ideal answer to it other than finishing the season no matter how long it takes then no one can complain.

I wonder how we would have felt had it happened the season we were coasting and 12 points ahead of Manure.

Thoughts?
    (sorry zip) they should be played out with the maximum number of home supporters that is safe as soon as possible(virus permitting ) and alter next and maybe even the next one again seasons so they are shorter

(sorry zip) they should be played out with the maximum number of home supporters that is safe as soon as possible(virus permitting ) and alter next and maybe even the next one again seasons so they are shorter
    Pleased to be able to agree with that. If it's done this way then it has been fair to all, both winners and losers then no single club or supporter can say they were unfairly treated or even cheated.

how about a short season - split the premier into 2 - each team will then play 18 games only - then the top 4 go head to head for europe and the bottom 3 of each go head to head for relegation scrap european games if all agree no one can complain

There's a thing...I hadn't even been thinking about next season. Yeah, next season will have to be shortened too and half a season would be the natural solution. You'd have to have some way of making sure everyone got a balance of better/poorer teams at home.

There's a thing...I hadn't even been thinking about next season. Yeah, next season will have to be shortened too and half a season would be the natural solution. You'd have to have some way of making sure everyone got a balance of better/poorer teams at home.
    i think the way the draw for pot a and pot b is done would have to be decided after the season finishes - say you decided on even / odd positions before the end of this season teams would play to try and end up in ( in their minds) more preferable pot if you see what i mean

i think the way the draw for pot a and pot b is done would have to be decided after the season finishes - say you decided on even / odd positions before the end of this season teams would play to try and end up in ( in their minds) more preferable pot if you see what i mean
    They should play no games next season and the titles and cups should be auctioned with the club owners bidding.

What?

Quote Originally Posted by toptoon View Post
    They should play no games next season and the titles and cups should be auctioned with the club owners bidding.

What?
    ??

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)