+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Season over?

Unfortunately I think we're probably going to see the end of football as we know it in this country. Goodness knows what we'll be left with when this is all over 😪

6201 new infection cases and 739 new coronavirus deaths reported today (01/05/20) for the UK. The restrictions are going to be in place for many months yet, and it would be far too unsafe to do anything else. Can't see the season re-starting now, even behind closed doors, despite the optimistic statements from the government and the FA. Let's hope that this season is called off as soon as possible now and a points per game system used to decide promotion and relegation.
    Last edited by mikemiller; 01-05-2020 at 04:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mikemiller View Post
    6201 new infection cases and 739 new coronavirus deaths reported today (01/05/20) for the UK. The restrictions are going to be in place for many months yet, and it would be far too unsafe to do anything else. Can't see the season re-starting now, even behind closed doors, despite the optimistic statements from the government and the FA. Let's hope that this season is called off as soon as possible now and a points per game system used to decide promotion and relegation.
    I think it could be used to decide promotion but it's likely that there will be no relegation this season.
    However, that would all be academic if a relatively high number of clubs fold throughout the whole football pyramid which seems more and more likely unfortunately.

Looks like football has turned into pawn with Covid-19 tests instead of HIV tests (although Kyle Walker maybe needs one of those as well).

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football...0-coronavirus/

The only way for me is just to abandon this season and start again when it's safe to do so. Given how close it is in our league and the inconsistencies of all teams involved, this season could probably gone right to the wire with up to four or five teams in with a shout on the last day.
    To me it just isn't a fair way to do things and it's no way to gain promotion or be relegated when so much could have changed with so many games remaining

Quote Originally Posted by miller172 View Post
    The only way for me is just to abandon this season and start again when it's safe to do so. Given how close it is in our league and the inconsistencies of all teams involved, this season could probably gone right to the wire with up to four or five teams in with a shout on the last day.
    To me it just isn't a fair way to do things and it's no way to gain promotion or be relegated when so much could have changed with so many games remaining
    I'd agree to a point, but when poor old Rotherham Titans were relegated whilst still having a chance of staying up, I'm more inclined to hope that the Millers are promoted by calling time on the league as it stands. That would, at least, add a modicum of equilibrium for the town of Rotherham.

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy King of the West View Post
    I'd agree to a point, but when poor old Rotherham Titans were relegated whilst still having a chance of staying up, I'm more inclined to hope that the Millers are promoted by calling time on the league as it stands. That would, at least, add a modicum of equilibrium for the town of Rotherham.
    That would be the fairest way for all the leagues

Quote Originally Posted by mikemiller View Post
    That would be the fairest way for all the leagues
    Yep. What a kick in the teeth it would be for our town if that method is used to relegate our rugby club, but not used to promote our football club.

Then again, when has anything ever gone in our favour?

Interestingly I saw a you tube cast by Benjamin Bloom earlier today who had calculated what would have happened last season had the league finished on March 13th. He said that us Bolton and Ipswich would still have gone down.

What he didn’t say was that we would have gone down by ONE GOAL behind Wigan. As you say just our luck. Payback time me thinks.

Table :
    20 Reading 37 8 12 17 40 56 -16 36

21 Wigan 37 9 9 19 36 55 -19 36

22 Millers. 37 7 15 15 39 59 -20 36

23 Bolton 37 7 8 22 24 58 -34 29

24 Ipswich 37 3 14 20 29 61 -32 23
    Last edited by Nardendee; 02-05-2020 at 10:45 PM.

Or maybe there might not have been any relegation?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast