+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: OT What Made You Smile Today?

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Must be brilliant...seriously.

Out of interest...can you play in the style of anyone you want...like - going back a bit - Bert Jansch to Duane Allman or Hendrix.

Please, please don’t tell me you’re too young to have heard of them!
    Well, I'd struggle with gypsy jazz or Spanish guitar, simply through lack of experience, but most contemporary music is very accessible. Anything too technically challenging, tends not to be so popular. The harder stuff just takes longer to study, the biggest challenge is simply remembering it.

Most teaching requests are for the "older" guitarists, not many 21st century guitar heros. But yes, that stuff's pretty straight forward, certainly Duane & Jimi - because it's been done, so it's part of the technique repertoire. Ground breaking when it came out of course. I don't know much about Bert.

It's one thing to break down someone elses technique and licks, learn and replicate, than it is to come up with it in the 1st place. Especially those original heroes, they had very little to copy, and what there was, was very inaccessible.

Lockdown is a good opportunity to pick the instrument up, anyone can do it - I've even taught an almost deaf person!

Quote Originally Posted by AdiSalisbury View Post
    Well, I'd struggle with gypsy jazz or Spanish guitar, simply through lack of experience, but most contemporary music is very accessible. Anything too technically challenging, tends not to be so popular. The harder stuff just takes longer to study, the biggest challenge is simply remembering it.

Most teaching requests are for the "older" guitarists, not many 21st century guitar heros. But yes, that stuff's pretty straight forward, certainly Duane & Jimi - because it's been done, so it's part of the technique repertoire. Ground breaking when it came out of course. I don't know much about Bert.

It's one thing to break down someone elses technique and licks, learn and replicate, than it is to come up with it in the 1st place. Especially those original heroes, they had very little to copy, and what there was, was very inaccessible.

Lockdown is a good opportunity to pick the instrument up, anyone can do it - I've even taught an almost deaf person!
    ‘Anyone can do it’. Really? I think you might be doing yourself down.

Not being able to play an instrument really is one of my greatest regrets. I even had all the opportunities but wanted to put sport first, but really...can anyone learn to play guitar satisfactorily well.

Despite the well intentioned ‘anyone can do it’ mindset we all know people who are devoid of ball skills, are tone deaf or completely devoid of artistic ability. Is playing an instrument really so different? If it is...can I start with an electric rather than an acoustic guitar and what would you recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    ‘Anyone can do it’. Really? I think you might be doing yourself down.

Not being able to play an instrument really is one of my greatest regrets. I even had all the opportunities but wanted to put sport first, but really...can anyone learn to play guitar satisfactorily well.

Despite the well intentioned ‘anyone can do it’ mindset we all know people who are devoid of ball skills, are tone deaf or completely devoid of artistic ability. Is playing an instrument really so different? If it is...can I start with an electric rather than an acoustic guitar and what would you recommend?
    I think it might be wise to start with a tambourine, perhaps a green one as a nod to your roots in the 60s

Of course you can. I have never seen anyone tone deaf despite their concerns, it's all just knowing how, and putting in a good efficient practice routine.

Start with whichever you'd prefer to play, but you will most likely find electric easier to start with. Strats are ergonomically designed for sitting down playing, and a good one size fits all tonally, though if you fancy a Jackson flying V, go for it! Don't get a cheap Argos guitar, bad instruments are near impossible to play.

I wouldn't spend less than £200 on a new guitar, and that's scraping it. You can do well if you don't mind 2nd hand. A decent guitar holds its value so you can sell and recoup or upgrade, but a £150 guitar from Amazon loses almost all its value.

Best bet is, if you have one, speak to a local independent guitar shop. They'll kit you out, and they tend to look after you better. Guitars need "setting up", local store will do this for you. If not, it's not the end of the world, but will need doing at some point.

Other than a guitar, you'll need an amp, cable, electronic tuner, and a selection of solid plectrums.

Once you've got your axe, bandana, and plethora of groupies, book some lessons. Lots of teachers are using Skype at the moment.

It ain't cheap, but cheaper than Pride Park, and you'll have something to show for it.

Cheers Adi. I wasn’t suggesting that I was tone death...I’ve actually sung on two records...long story.
    I also won a piano competition when I was about eleven and used to play the trumpet, not GP’s version, but I hated having to practice, really resented it, because all I wanted to do was play rugby, football and cricket and music got in the way.
    Really struggle to even find my way round a keyboard now...totally lost it and, because I’m inclined to stick at things that ‘come easy’ but just say ‘f**k it’ when they don’t (not a good philosophy I accept) I’ve never stuck at the guitar.
    Mastering an instrument falls into the category of things I really wish I’d done...lot more use now than once having been half decent at ball sports.

You only need 20 minutes a day, I'm sure you're more qualified than anyone in accelerated learning techniques

The never ending rant of Conspiracy Theorists about 5G, Corona being an excuse to exercise total control bla bla bla

What will they say when 5G doesn't fry our brains (never had an answer to the question "how will it fry our brains but not those of the "elite") and it doesn't stop oxygen in the blood from getting to the ***** organs (again, ours but not the elites).

Total control? Holland, Germany and other countries have now published their road map back to work and pleasure between now and September.

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    The never ending rant of Conspiracy Theorists about 5G, Corona being an excuse to exercise total control bla bla bla

What will they say when 5G doesn't fry our brains (never had an answer to the question "how will it fry our brains but not those of the "elite") and it doesn't stop oxygen in the blood from getting to the ***** organs (again, ours but not the elites).

Total control? Holland, Germany and other countries have now published their road map back to work and pleasure between now and September.
    That made you smile? Do you like leather and handcuffs?

Quote Originally Posted by AdiSalisbury View Post
    That made you smile? Do you like leather and handcuffs?
    They are a bunch of crazies Adi so yes, they make me laugh. They put up videos like those from Dr Buttar predicting world dominance by the elite yet he provides no verifiable fact, no trustworthy verifiable source. Others point to "studies" proving their theory when those same studies have been discredited. so, yes, they do make me laugh.

At the core of every crazy lies a base of sound sense. Just a germ of truth.

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean to say they aren't out to get you.

Illuminati rule OK

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)