+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: O/T CV19 could save the government a fortune

O/T CV19 could save the government a fortune

Nothing to do with which ever political party is in government

Just looking at the savings in paying out retirement pension assuming the final death rate is about 40,000 then at £175 per week that is an annual figure of £364 Billion every coming year.

I find that frightening.

A lot of them were old and had another illness and would have died shortly anyway,if anything the country will be poorer after this and it was just getting back on its feet.

The government is shelling out millions bailing out people who can't work during this crises and a lot of businesses will have to be bailed out also.

I’d suggest you redo your maths and then workout the difference between £364 million and billion.

Factoring in a lot of those 40,000 are still taxpayers, the cost to the treasury to bail the country out with furlough, interest free loans and grants. Then also how much tax revenue will be lost over the next tax five years while things return to normal , I don’t think any government will be dishing out high fives over a pandemic not only killing its population but decimating the economy. Do you ?

Quote Originally Posted by ex_pat_magpie View Post

Just looking at the savings in paying out retirement pension assuming the final death rate is about 40,000 then at £175 per week that is an annual figure of £364 Billion every coming year.

I find that frightening.
    I had the same thought a few weeks ago funny enough.

Its a pretty penny saved per year every year going forward on pensions thats for sure. Something like 300 million if basic pension is about 135 quid a week. Plus other costs to the government on top.

Quote Originally Posted by Sickas View Post
    I’d suggest you redo your maths and then workout the difference between £364 million and billion.

Factoring in a lot of those 40,000 are still taxpayers, the cost to the treasury to bail the country out with furlough, interest free loans and grants. Then also how much tax revenue will be lost over the next tax five years while things return to normal , I don’t think any government will be dishing out high fives over a pandemic not only killing its population but decimating the economy. Do you ?
    True enough Sickas, not all were old and many still contributing. The furlough is just temporary though, pension savings are forever. The government just does what always did - borrow from itself with imaginary money.

Makes you wonder if the chinks have declared war.

You've heard of Thucydides's trap

Quote Originally Posted by ex_pat_magpie View Post

I find that frightening.
    wish I got £175 a week pension....... no where near it

Quote Originally Posted by toonlegend View Post
    wish I got £175 a week pension....... no where near it
    I didn't think you were old enough for the new retirement age June
    Last edited by ex_pat_magpie; 09-05-2020 at 10:25 PM.

With this Govt, we'll probably pay for all this with more austerity.

Quote Originally Posted by BenArfa10 View Post
    With this Govt, we'll probably pay for all this with more austerity.
    Other than higher taxes. How else do you pay for it?

Imagine Corbyn was elected. He couldn’t even say whether he was leave or remain, what would he have done through this pandemic, been an honest broker?

Pandemic was sweeping the country and he was standing in parliament going on about domestic violence.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)