+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: VE Day

VE Day

It should be one of those national feel good days today. We had a hell of a lot to feel good and proud of as a nation.

It must have been a very special day back in 1945.

I live with my Dad (92) and my Mother in law (96) and they have been telling us about VE Day.

Let's hope we have another VE Day soon - Virus Eradication Day.

We need to stop this nostalgia nonsense.

We fought. We won.

Let's move on?

who Won ?.....not the 85 million + who died, or their families.....etc.

....in numbers, some suffered a lot more than others.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_War_II_casualties

That is exactly why I say, let's stop these jingoistic pi-ssups. Half of the eejits who flaunted the lockdown advice today are the same eejits who deny the Holocaust and have no idea almost 20 million Russians died because of fascism.

Let's stick to Remembrance Sunday in future please, to honour all of the men and women who have died to provide us all with freedom? Pity we are now allowing the apparatus of the state to take that same freedom away.

Quote Originally Posted by 1959_60 View Post
    It should be one of those national feel good days today. We had a hell of a lot to feel good and proud of as a nation.

I live with my Dad (92) and my Mother in law (96) and they have been telling us about VE Day.

Unfortunately 59er this battle will not have an end day. It will run and run, especially so with the amount of eejits running up and down our streets yesterday. Morons rule OK.

Quote Originally Posted by 1959_60 View Post

In a world of negative media,deaths and suffering I’ll take a bit of positive in what ever form it arrives in, I know this much it made a lot of the older generation happy singing along to Vera ( we’ll meet again - rang out in our back garden anyway. ).
    It’s sometimes easy to forget just what happend and also what an amazing country we are.

Quote Originally Posted by army88 View Post
    In a world of negative media,deaths and suffering I’ll take a bit of positive in what ever form it arrives in, I know this much it made a lot of the older generation happy singing along to Vera ( we’ll meet again - rang out in our back garden anyway. ).
    It’s sometimes easy to forget just what happend and also what an amazing country we are.
    I saw footage emerging out of Finsbury Park yesterday.

I saw footage of our police tasering a black guy in front of his daughter on a garage forecourt the day before.

Our country does not look very "amazing" to me.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    Half of the eejits who flaunted the lockdown advice today are the same eejits who deny the Holocaust and have no idea almost 20 million Russians died because of fascism.
    I wonder how many eejits are also unaware that 20 million Russians died because of Communuism ?

"A Soviet weekly newspaper today published the most detailed accounting of Stalin's victims yet presented to a mass audience here, indicating that about 20 million died in labor camps, forced collectivization, famine and executions. The estimates, by the historian Roy Medvedev, were printed in the weekly tabloid Argumenti i Fakti, which has a circulation of more than 20 million. The estimated number of deaths is about equal to the number of Soviet soldiers and civilians believed killed in World War II."

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post

I saw footage of our police tasering a black guy in front of his daughter on a garage forecourt the day before.
    Would it have been OK had it been a white guy ? Just asking like ?

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)