+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Martin & Huddlestone new Contracts, yes or no?

It will be interesting to see what the shadow of covid will do to all renewing contracts across the EFL and PL. Logically players will have to be settling for less money as there is simply less of it about with no crowds, reduced advertising,match day income and, in all probability TV revenue. So whether a player renews contract or goes elsewhere they will have to settle for less except where they outperformed on a low cost contract.

As CM is on one of the highest paying contracts at the club (and TH probably not far behind) they will naturally get offered lower wages and, given their ages, shorter term contracts. Its unlikely that any club will come in and offer masses more money for CM, so the key is length of contract where another could could maybe offer even less (or the same) money for a longer, say 2 or 3, year contract.

This is where we could have a problem keeping CM, another team who has not spent a shed load of money on him in the last 4 years for modest return may be happy to gamble on a longer contract. We've been burned by him in the past and so may be less inclined to risk that again.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram59 View Post
    Martin hasn't been key to the way that the last few managers have wanted to play and because of this, was let out on loan. But, I don't understand this one way of playing football, if a system isn't working in a match, substituting a like for like player is unlikely to reap rewards. However, bringing on a unique player, brings a whole new challenge to the opposition.

Especially, when chasing a game, when intelligence and touch is required to pick a packed, deep lying defence.

Opposition defenders must hate to play him, he's physical, comfortable with his back to goal and most importantly Good with both feet. Force Waghorn on to his right foot and your safe.
    Crucial point, well made. We need a ‘plan B’ and that will often mean different personnel with different strengths.
    That’s why I’d like to keep him...but not at any price.

Completely accept the colitis point too...but in truth, CM’s attitude and contribution seemed to go awry sometime long before he was ill.
    Can’t remember much of a contribution between 2016 and the end of 2019.

Quote Originally Posted by mistaram View Post
    We are probably all jumping the gun because the club have not issued any statement about his contract I don't want to come across as anti Martin because I'm not he's still a good finisher and very intelligent player But I don't buy that he's crucial to the way Cocu wants to play He wasn't even in the side till mid November even then he was coming off the bench . No player or agent usually takes the first offer so it will be a cat and mouse game between club and player Hopefully he stays because as RA says I think he owes something

In both cases a resounding no, time to move on both are past their best.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Crucial point, well made. We need a ‘plan B’ and that will often mean different personnel with different strengths.
    That’s why I’d like to keep him...but not at any price.

Completely accept the colitis point too...but in truth, CM’s attitude and contribution seemed to go awry sometime long before he was ill.
    Can’t remember much of a contribution between 2016 and the end of 2019.
    Do you though? He had 2 years of Colitis (out on loan) and a year of being out of favour as the manager wanted to play a way that doesn't suit CM's skill set in the 3 years you mention.

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    Do you though? He had 2 years of Colitis (out on loan) and a year of being out of favour as the manager wanted to play a way that doesn't suit CM's skill set in the 3 years you mention.
    Yes but colitis is a condition that can not be cured ,a sufferer will have periods of calm and flare ups . So do we gamble on his health being good enough for the next two seasons I think the club's hold all the aces in this one Its a take it or leave it one I'm afraid . With neither CM or Marriott are likely to be able to put a run of games together consistently we could struggle for goals

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    I absolutely do, MA and I have huge respect for ‘sportsmen’ who come back from a condition which can, I’m told, often be linked to taking too many pain killers and anti inflammatory drugs.

In that respect CM has my greatest respect, but in all honesty...he was brilliant under McClaren in 2013-14 and decent again, until his injury, the following season, but since then I haven’t seen anything that has made me want to keep him until the three months before lockdown.

I’d still question his attitude, as disappointingly I do Marriott’s, and I think he’s made a very good living out of his seven years at Derby which is why I think he now owes us something back.

You don't come back from Colitis. It's there for life, every day, incurable. For him to be fit would have taken a lot more than it would a healthy person. His body with won't absorb nutrition, he will be constantly dehydrating, energyless and exhausted, both in body and mind, all whilst being in remission. It's a horrible disease and since learning he has it, my respect for his effort levels are very high.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)