+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Pandemic Protest

Got to be honest, I agree with Regis on this.

I think its unacceptable to use the 'P' or 'N' word, I would never use it in person and in that case I wouldn't use it on here.

Its not the same as saying 'Aussies' or 'Brits' because the connotation is different.

But the wider debate on the BLM is interesting, even though the extremes of both for and against sides are sometimes a little unedifying. I'd consider myself to have a fairly balanced view of it.

I think everyone should have every right to protest, and I sympathise with much of the movement. I disagree with damaging property and assaulting others, which has largely happened in the States in all fairness. I don't agree with the connotations of the statue in Bristol, but equally I don't agree with it being torn down and thrown into the river by a mob.

I work and live in London with a diverse amount of cultures, races, religions etc. and that's one of the reasons I like it here because I see that as a benefit. I still think, perhaps optimistically, that the vast majority of people of all races are not racist or prejudice and we live in a fair and just world.

Or perhaps I'm being naive and its not like that at all...

Quote Originally Posted by regis80 View Post
    Firstly, I don’t believe that Joshua said to boycott white businesses.. it would have made a huge headline and I’ve not come accross this. Where is this? because this is out order. I’ve seen a lot of fake news going around and it is so easy to believe them.
    What Joshua actually said which is why Eddie Hearn has been on a major damage limitation exercise this week;

"Abstain from spending your money in their shops and economies, and invest in black-owned businesses"

He went on to say that Joshua didn't write the speech that he just read it out. Cleary Joshua has so much conviction he cant even speak his own words. Joshua is a hypocrite in a monumental way. All this from a bloke who fought in Saudi whilst lecturing the BLM protestors about exploitation and slavery. And yes Regis, I have heard the speech all the way through and listened to Eddie Hearn doing his best to limit the damage this plank has done. I can only imagine the uproar if Tyson Fury or Ricky Hatton had said the same thing. Whoever says it, language like this is bigoted and plain wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by stripes39 View Post
    What Joshua actually said which is why Eddie Hearn has been on a major damage limitation exercise this week;

"Abstain from spending your money in their shops and economies, and invest in black-owned businesses"

He went on to say that Joshua didn't write the speech that he just read it out. Cleary Joshua has so much conviction he cant even speak his own words. Joshua is a hypocrite in a monumental way. All this from a bloke who fought in Saudi whilst lecturing the BLM protestors about exploitation and slavery. And yes Regis, I have heard the speech all the way through and listened to Eddie Hearn doing his best to limit the damage this plank has done. I can only imagine the uproar if Tyson Fury or Ricky Hatton had said the same thing. Whoever says it, language like this is bigoted and plain wrong.
    Since my last post on this, I read what you’ve just mentioned above. It was just new news to me simply because It wasn’t in the mainstream news outlets. I think it is out of order, you cannot simply say that for so many different reasons. Firstly it is racist and that’s not okay whatever your race.
    The other point about it is, that it’s stupid. What have businesses got to do with it? Unless a business is known to be against BLM then I see the point. But boycotting business and strictly supporting black businesses? Good luck. Money talks end of the day. I’ve never rated AJ and think he’s over hyped a bit too much, he doesn’t particularly come across as someone who’s bright when he speaks in interviews either. Name a boxer that does. Anyway, i’m not excusing him in but do you really think he’s racist from that statement he read out? Hypocrite, yes.

The BLM protests here have gone too far in my opinion. If we were to protest, it just should have been for solidarity reasons, let alone be any due to covid. The protests around the world bar america seem to be without any trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Leicesterbaggie View Post
    As I've said in a previous post,I can see all this setting back race relations years, not improving it. I live in a small village near one of the most multicultural cities in the country. However, I do see the point of view that there does appear to be one rule for one and another rule for others. It does seem that black people can say what they want about white people but not the other way around. This is bound to cause division in any community. If we are to live together harmoniously then we all have to abide by the same rules and principles.
    To be honest, since the north england riots I thought race relation would have improved but they haven’t. We had the war on terror, discrimination to those ethnic groups which went on for years. It hasn’t been helped when we have fellow britons of ethnic backgrounds who have caused terror attacks and offences .. but this has allowed the right wing media and its followers to spread hate. It isn’t all one way though, the extremist of both sides have been fighting for a while. Amongst all that, you have certain media outlets spreading hate by appointing the likes of Katie Hopkins (effectively as their spokeswomen) spouting their racist drivel. Any way of healing the nation of this has been like taking one step forward two steps back.

Quote Originally Posted by WBA123 View Post
    Got to be honest, I agree with Regis on this.

I think its unacceptable to use the 'P' or 'N' word, I would never use it in person and in that case I wouldn't use it on here.

Its not the same as saying 'Aussies' or 'Brits' because the connotation is different.

But the wider debate on the BLM is interesting, even though the extremes of both for and against sides are sometimes a little unedifying. I'd consider myself to have a fairly balanced view of it.

I think everyone should have every right to protest, and I sympathise with much of the movement. I disagree with damaging property and assaulting others, which has largely happened in the States in all fairness. I don't agree with the connotations of the statue in Bristol, but equally I don't agree with it being torn down and thrown into the river by a mob.

I work and live in London with a diverse amount of cultures, races, religions etc. and that's one of the reasons I like it here because I see that as a benefit. I still think, perhaps optimistically, that the vast majority of people of all races are not racist or prejudice and we live in a fair and just world.

Or perhaps I'm being naive and its not like that at all...
    Glad you agree mate and see my point. You simply wouldn’t be go down Soho Road to call people the P word and and then try to explain to them ‘oh i’m abbreviating it for pakistani’. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    Whilst in Australia I got called “Brit” and “Pommie”.

Is that racist on their behalf.......if it was I wasn’t personally offended.

I referred to them as “Aussies” and didn’t seem to cause offence.

Our friend Tomas ( SwedishBaggie ) is no doubt called a “Swede” and I’ll eat my own eyeball if he gets offended at that.

This is a genuine question......

Why is it okay to refer to many nationalities by abbreviated terms but not just a select few?

If never given it too much thought until reading this.

Does anyone else find this a bit of an anomaly?
    Always thought that Mick. Its a nonsense. I was raised with many black kids, they called us names we called them names and none of it meant ANYTHING, we all went home mates, one of my best mates was Rajesh a great kid. I Know that some nasty scumbag white guys used to use the word Paki in an agressive way. I think this is what has been latched onto Mick, in the same way as some dont like the British flag because of a few airheads using it as a racial political emblem. Its all about the motivation behind how you speak which is why I have no patience for those who just take offence without trying to understand the bigger picture. You know the ones "oh you don't want black coffee, racist!"
    Last edited by boingy; 12-06-2020 at 01:35 PM.

Am I correct in believing that the term ‘Brit’ began during the troubles in Northern Ireland, used as a slur by republicans against British soldiers? I may be wrong, but I believe it was. I do agree that the term ‘Paki’ is now deemed to be a racially abusive term but I also agree with Mick in that it shouldn’t be. Everyone has become far too sensitive; I remember a saying at school all those years ago, ‘sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me’. Yes, I know that words can be hurtful but we have become far too thin skinned.

Quote Originally Posted by regis80 View Post
    Since my last post on this, I read what you’ve just mentioned above. It was just new news to me simply because It wasn’t in the mainstream news outlets. I think it is out of order, you cannot simply say that for so many different reasons. Firstly it is racist and that’s not okay whatever your race.
    The other point about it is, that it’s stupid. What have businesses got to do with it? Unless a business is known to be against BLM then I see the point. But boycotting business and strictly supporting black businesses? Good luck. Money talks end of the day. I’ve never rated AJ and think he’s over hyped a bit too much, he doesn’t particularly come across as someone who’s bright when he speaks in interviews either. Name a boxer that does. Anyway, i’m not excusing him in but do you really think he’s racist from that statement he read out? Hypocrite, yes.

The BLM protests here have gone too far in my opinion. If we were to protest, it just should have been for solidarity reasons, let alone be any due to covid. The protests around the world bar america seem to be without any trouble.
    Pretty much agree with all of that Regis. Joshua actually went on to say a bit more such as 'hit THEM where it hurts' Them? Given his expletive ridden rant on social media later, I tend to think if it looks like a dog and barks it probably is a dog. Seems many people at that rally were so keen to cut no tolerance at all to other views so I tend to think we should all be treated on the same level. On that basis I'd have him down as having racial prejudice. He's lost a lot of support for sure and yes, over-hyped for sure. Fury will slaughter him IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by boingy View Post
    Always thought that Mick. Its a nonsense. I was raised with many black kids, they called us names we called them names and none of it meant ANYTHING, we all went home mates, one of my best mates was Rajesh a great kid. I Know that some nasty scumbag white guys used to use the word Paki in an agressive way. I think this is what has been latched onto Mick, in the same way as some dont like the British flag because of a few airheads using it as a racial political emblem. Its all about the motivation behind how you speak which is why I have no patience for those who just take offence without trying to understand the bigger picture. You know the ones "oh you don't want black coffee, racist!"
    This is so true. The P word is only offensive if as a Pakistani you choose it to be. I'm proud to be called a Brit and if they had embraced it in the same way they could have been proud of the obvious abbreviation of their nation rather allowing everyone to see it as a negative.

I used to work with a guy called Ranjit Singh. He was looking to move house and I asked if he had considered a certain area. His reply was 'Na too many rag heads'

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)